Mooring by the sea

Neil Jones

Featured Posts

How easy is it to find a mooring near the seaside?

So after 5 years living on dry land, I'm itching to move back on to a narrowboat. My partner is keen, but would rather have a nice cottage by the sea (like we could ever afford that!). So I'm wondering if there's a compromise. Are there any canals or rivers with moorings that are near (as possible) to the seaside? Preferably southern England.

Thanks!

Neil

The best I've seen is where my dad used to moor his boat and that is Hest Bank on the Lancaster canal, just north of Morecambe, he could see the sea from the towpath.

Edited by Titus

Hi,

Chelmer & Blackwater canal, explore th Blackwater Estuary, by suitable boat or on foot. Lots of lovely coastal areas - Mersea island, Maldon.

The countryside and villages once you get past Chelmsford are superb and the pubs brill - the F&Cs at the Six Bells at Boreham are to die for. Loads of history.

Well worth investigating, I live in Bucks, but visit Essex once a week and if I moved, the area mentioned would be high on my list.

L

Tollesbury in Essex is quite nice and there are a few fairly small barges and possibly a narrow boat there but not sure about the latter.

And Maldon as has been mentioned. Very nice around there :)

The moorings are at Tollesbury are called the Saltings and they are mud berths so not to everyone's taste but they do have a marina as well although I'm not sure if people live in it.

I think forum member John V is somewhere on the Essex coast so he may know more.

Hi,

Chelmer & Blackwater canal, explore th Blackwater Estuary, by suitable boat or on foot. Lots of lovely coastal areas - Mersea island, Maldon.

The countryside and villages once you get past Chelmsford are superb and the pubs brill - the F&Cs at the Six Bells at Boreham are to die for. Loads of history.

Well worth investigating, I live in Bucks, but visit Essex once a week and if I moved, the area mentioned would be high on my list.

L

You can't live on the Chelmer unfortunately. The only way you can is by working for the IWA as a caretaker and these only about two per lock. And they never come up! Yeah there is the odd narrow boat once you come out of heybrige and turn left towards tolshunt.

But I guess it depends what you class as "seaside"?

Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting so many answers so soon! Bude sounds good, but can't seem to find any mooring/marina info. It seems only the first 2 miles from the sea lock are navigable, but that's not a problem. Anyone have any experience of living on the Bude Canal?

So after 5 years living on dry land, I'm itching to move back on to a narrowboat. My partner is keen, but would rather have a nice cottage by the sea (like we could ever afford that!). So I'm wondering if there's a compromise. Are there any canals or rivers with moorings that are near (as possible) to the seaside? Preferably southern England.

Thanks!

Neil

Thanks!

Neil

The Mediterrranian end of the Canal De Midi is very nice?

I saw that when I went down to the Chandlery Barge. Its a Liverpool boats 60x12 or something. Was wondering about it and I assume it was craned in nearby - I imagine there is a yard somewhere with a big travel hoist ?

They may have gone by water but not sure I'd want to try that really its quite a long way round from T&K marina :lol:

Every time I cross the Hamble on the M27 I look out for the widebeam that has a mud berth on the river. Don't know how he got there.

yes this is a fact I was surprised at, visiting the chandlers barge, there are 4 liveaboards narrow boats and a couple of barges moored on their pontoons.Enquired about whether they go out, and apparently they have!!

also the price was near to what you pay including the licence fee for a marina berth on the canals. There is also further up the Hamble , Dutch barges moored on the other side of the M27 one is for sale on Apolloduck

being that far up, you will dry out at the top when the tide gos out

but no contant crusing, or overstaying problems lol

col

Edited by bigcol

Most of the liveaboard moorings (official or under the radar) on the Essex coast seem mostly to be in small groups scattered around the place, many mud berths drying out at low tide. Mostly they seem to be pretty oversubscribed. I know the ones close to me (Thames estuary) are pretty well full up.

There are some at Dauntless Marina on Benfleet creek but I believe they are full there are also a limited number at Leigh Marina again I don't think they have vacancies. There are some places in the Roach Stambridge, Paglesham and Wakering but again mostly snapped up when they become vacant.

On the Crouch there seem to be some moorings at Fambridge and at Essex Marina and on the North bank at Burnham and some more at Bridgemarsh marina. However in most of these places you will be in direct competition with salt water boats and the prices are fairly high. The Medway is another area that might be worth considering but there is no substitute for going, exploring and asking questions

The Mudway is worth looking at if it is appropriate in terms of proximity to the sea which was a requirement of the original poster..

apparently someone is/was selling off freehold plots with mooring rights, really quite cheaply. It has turned into a bit of a shanty river in places, has been mentioned on the YBW Thames Forum but I belive its all legal and you get a plot of land with road access as well.

probably all sold now but worth a little look maybe

Thanks everyone! I wasn't expecting so many answers so soon! Bude sounds good, but can't seem to find any mooring/marina info. It seems only the first 2 miles from the sea lock are navigable, but that's not a problem. Anyone have any experience of living on the Bude Canal?

There are no narrowboats on bude canal, it is only a short stretch, the only boat you will find are paddle boats, so that is ruled out

Thanks!

Neil

seems you want to live on a boat near the sea but not travel on the canals. Begs the question - why a narrowboat?

seems you want to live on a boat near the sea but not travel on the canals. Begs the question - why a narrowboat?

Not really. Maybe they just like narrowboats. Maybe the personal situation means that they can't travel the canal network. Theres not many boats out there that you can buy that are already "suited" to live on full time.

Thats a good point. I have a friend that bought a dutch steel cruiser about 35ft I think. years ago. It looked nice and comfortable, wide and sensible to live on but come winter he discovered it had no insulation, just cabin lining which made it almost impossible to heat and live on comfortably. condensation on everything despite a solid fuel stove in there. He told me he ripped out the lining to put in some insulation. Not something you want to do !!

So yes, a canal boat is a good example of a 'ready to move into' unit which a lot of boats simply won't be.

I went on a narrow boat in Newhaven years ago (about 20 years ago) don't know if its still there. It was a bit surreal but quite nice and I bet it was a lot more comfortable that all the yots surrounding it.

Another thing about a narrow boat is if you 'harbour' long term plans to travel the ditches and marvel at the wonders of the coffin locks and aqueducts then you do need a narrow boat so you might as well get one in the first place and make it nice and comfortable :)