Nannie engine prob'

ROBDEN

Featured Posts

Hi all.

I’m trying to help out a friend of mine.

He has a Nannie engine (bless).

He’s just done an oil change.

He remembers that when he last did it, about five months ago, he definitely put in 5.5 litres of oil.

No mistake, definatly 5.5 litres.

Drained it this time and took out 7.5 litres.

The oil taken out, looks to be fine. Just a normal dirtyish oil. No sign of water and oil mixing.

Have left the oil to stand over night to see if there’s any seperation.

The old oil smells like just oil. There’s no smell of diesel. If you rub some oil between your fingers, it just feels like oil. Not gritty that you sometimes get with oil and desiel mixing.

The engine coolant is clean and shows no trace of oil.

He says that he tops up the water every few days but only about an egg cup full and that he has always done that, ever since he got the boat….about twenty five years ago.

The engine has been running perfectly.

The only odd thing that he has noticed is that on two occasions, the engine would not re-start while it was hot. I think he said it seemed like his battery was flat. Waited for ten minutes and then it would start.

Any ideas?

Rob….

Look in the engine manual for the oil capacity. I suspect that the sump was not drained completely previously, 5.5 litres is not much for marine engine. Most of the Kubota based engines hold about 8 litres.

Not true - the oil capacity (inc Filter) on my Lister LPWS4 (4 cylinder) is 5.5 litres according to the manual.

Look in the engine manual for the oil capacity. I suspect that the sump was not drained completely previously, 5.5 litres is not much for marine engine. Most of the Kubota based engines hold about 8 litres.

Kubota based BETA 1505 (38), my oil changes are usually 5-5.5 Litres.

Any ideas?

Rob….

Get someone to look at it?

IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) the oil level is rising - something must be getting into it. It is more likely to be diesel than water

IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) 'on two occasions, the engine would not re-start while it was hot. I think he said it seemed like his battery was flat' it could be diesel leaking through the nozzles into the cylinders and hydraulic locking the engine.

so IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) these things are true and are what is happening in his real engine that I haven't seen, he needs to get his injectors serviced

See first comment above

Richard

And oil give you a tip to get most of your oil out. Cant your boat over slightly to the side that the drain plug is on. and at the same time if the plug is forward on the sump, weight the boat down forward a bit, like filling the water tank or standing heavy folk up forward. Use a spirit level if you want to. Apart from an engine fault the boats attitude is the reason why differing amounts of oil pour forth when changing the oil, providing that there was always the same amount in it before draining it.

Kubota based BETA 1505 (38), my oil changes are usually 5-5.5 Litres.

According to the manuals

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/downloads/operators_manuals/1630-2838-KC-IOM-1011.pdf

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/downloads/operators_manuals/1650-4360-KC-IOM-1011.pdf

Beta 38 Standard sump = 6.0 - 7.5 litres Shallow sump = 6.0-7.5 litres

Beta 43 Standard sump = 9.5 litres Shallow sump = 7.0 litres

Edited by Flyboy

According to the manuals

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/downloads/operators_manuals/1630-2838-KC-IOM-1011.pdf

http://www.betamarine.co.uk/downloads/operators_manuals/1650-4360-KC-IOM-1011.pdf

Beta 38 Standard sump = 6.0 - 7.5 litres Shallow sump = 6.0-7.5 litres

Beta 43 Standard sump = 9.5 litres Shallow sump = 7.0 litres

But that's total engine oil. You'd only replace that volume in a freshly built engine. For general servicing, you can only remove the oil from the sump.

And oil give you a tip to get most of your oil out. Cant your boat over slightly to the side that the drain plug is on. and at the same time if the plug is forward on the sump, weight the boat down forward a bit, like filling the water tank or standing heavy folk up forward. Use a spirit level if you want to. Apart from an engine fault the boats attitude is the reason why differing amounts of oil pour forth when changing the oil, providing that there was always the same amount in it before draining it.

I wish!

Have to suck ours out!

Get someone to look at it?

IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) the oil level is rising - something must be getting into it. It is more likely to be diesel than water

IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) 'on two occasions, the engine would not re-start while it was hot. I think he said it seemed like his battery was flat' it could be diesel leaking through the nozzles into the cylinders and hydraulic locking the engine.

so IF (and diagnosis by forum post is incredibly dangerous) these things are true and are what is happening in his real engine that I haven't seen, he needs to get his injectors serviced

See first comment above

Richard

Thanks Richard.

He had someone look at it and he said it was the head gasket and that

you can't see the water as it has mixed with the oil.......Yeah right.

We thought it could be an injector or two, so he's going to get them serviced.

Thanks again Rob....

What nanni is it? My 4.195he takes at least 7 litres.

It's the 4.150he(?).

His hand book says 5-5.5 litres.