BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Great weekend had by us, seeing the convoy at the finish was a sight too.

Really enjoyed it this year as my wife came along although I think she will not come along next year.

Managed the initial plan and route I started with (minus titford pools) and got to see a couple of parts of the BCN i had never seen before.

Again we were the only cruiser and majority of boats welcomed us along. Especially when we picked the lads up who were on crane and ferried them back to the finish.

Just out of curiosity what was everyones lock count, we managed 68 not including the 19 getting there and back.

Good to meet new people and if anyone is pottering around my neck of the woods shout and we can meet for a beer or few (that's the top stratford or sometimes NIA on weekends)

Great pictures also.

Great weekend had by us, seeing the convoy at the finish was a sight too.

Really enjoyed it this year as my wife came along although I think she will not come along next year.

Managed the initial plan and route I started with (minus titford pools) and got to see a couple of parts of the BCN i had never seen before.

Again we were the only cruiser and majority of boats welcomed us along. Especially when we picked the lads up who were on crane and ferried them back to the finish.

Just out of curiosity what was everyones lock count, we managed 68 not including the 19 getting there and back.

Good to meet new people and if anyone is pottering around my neck of the woods shout and we can meet for a beer or few (that's the top stratford or sometimes NIA on weekends)

Great pictures also.

6 (locks)

I just remembered. I was supposed to be showing you all my booty, mudlarked from Salvage Turn a few months ago.

Sorry, slipped my mind.

Damn! I read that as "supposed to be showing you all my body"

Raised an eyebrow there for a second

Good to meet new people and if anyone is pottering around my neck of the woods shout and we can meet for a beer or few (that's the top stratford or sometimes NIA on weekends) .

So as you're so close, are you joining us for a beer or several at the Bluebell next weekend?

Tawny will be there Friday and Saturday. Saturday is usually the busiest.

Sue.

Most of it was a bloody good week-end. I was happy to hand over steering to Richard Parry when it was raining on Sunday morning.

It was great to see you, Maggie

Richard

Dotterel is back home at Calcutt, we had a great time and will be doing it again next year. We went home via the Birmingham and Fazeley, Coventry and Northern Oxford Route.

Effectively we have done the Warwickshire Ring and the BCN Challenge in 7 days.

On the challenge we did 43 miles and 51 locks - I've no idea how this compares to the old timers.

In the 7 days we did 181 locks and 147 miles.

The boat has a few more scratches than it did before and the slightly malfunctioning gearbox is now a very malfunctioning gearbox.

It was great to meet everyone.

Cheers Graham

Who won?

We'll not know for a while, going by the previous year's declaration of the result.

One of my suggestions is for people to "self declare" their points scored, and a 'provisional' results list produced moments after the event, to be confirmed some days/weeks later once the calculations etc have been done. To help this, don't forget "The Cat Who Walks By Himself" has a calculator here:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

To kick it off, I'll declare 35 points for the route + 7 (start in triple rated section) + 15 (arrive before 2pm) + 10 (hand log in before 2:10pm) = 65 points, plus whatever extras for the treasure hunt questions if we got any right.

We'll not know for a while, going by the previous year's declaration of the result.

One of my suggestions is for people to "self declare" their points scored, and a 'provisional' results list produced moments after the event, to be confirmed some days/weeks later once the calculations etc have been done. To help this, don't forget "The Cat Who Walks By Himself" has a calculator here:

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/bcnChallenge.php

To kick it off, I'll declare 35 points for the route + 7 (start in triple rated section) + 15 (arrive before 2pm) + 10 (hand log in before 2:10pm) = 65 points, plus whatever extras for the treasure hunt questions if we got any right.

65 points - you must win!

Richard

So as you're so close, are you joining us for a beer or several at the Bluebell next weekend?

Tawny will be there Friday and Saturday. Saturday is usually the busiest.

Sue.

As in 29th and 30th?

If so yes I will be about my kids work there on the carvery so the 2 happy bunnies you saw over the challenge on the boat (1 each day) will be there we are always around over the weekend even if just playing taxi.

65 points - you must win!

Richard

According to the Cats calculator we got 254.5 points excluding any bonuses I did start at Birchills so a bonus start?

But we got held up in the arm at the end was due to arrive 2.05 but finally handed in log book at 2.45.

Plus questions/photos although the questions I thnk we were well off with a few.

All great fun though.

And I have to say that was a cracking bit of steering from you managing the sharp left onto the Walsall Arm in the dark with very limited visibility.

.. and the plan to squish Tawny to 60' or stretch the top lock to 80' nearly came off!

MP.