BCN Challenge 2015

Dave_P

Featured Posts

Its chaos on the Bradley arm, excellent fun! The locals are intrigued

Richard

That may explain why I've seen about 20 boats go towards the workshop and only 10 or so return! Ah, I've just seen you go past! The Owl is looking good as always :)

Edited by MGSteve

I like the pink one with all the balloons - looks very cheerful smile.png

Hope you all had a wonderful time, it's been great following your progress on the forumclapping.gif

That's us, Bettie Bo!!!

We had a ball, everyone was really friendly and even though it was complete chaos, we all enjoyed it.

It's been fun to follow all your exploits on here ... does anyone know who's won what and how? (and, are all boats and crew members accounted for?)

LC

Obviously team monkey won but as we don't want accolades we have asked for our scores not to be counted

To all we met, held up, helped out, passed by, A real pleasure thank you.

Factory locks on Sunday, superb newish C&RT gent Paul who once the pound was drained down, got in and cleared the bricks that were causing the gate to jam and not open fully. He also stayed well past his finishing time the day before so that Walsall locks were full of water.

Some nice photo of the boats have been posted, thanks.

We achieved our challenge objectives, Friday evening Mad O Roukes and then the into the Fountain.

Saturday Old turn for Loyds, the Tap and Spile then finally the Fiddle and Bone.

To late getting back Sunday for the Great Western as we wanted to eat in Wolverhampton.

Regards

Barry Adams and crew Narrowboat trust pair Nuneaton and Brighton

Edited by barry adams

:-) after a truelly amazing w/e, on our first ever bcn challenge. Team Pykeys, have finally FINISHED it ;-) and are moored at Cambria Wharf, soon to enjoy a pub supper.

After being one of the last boats to finish yesterday, we were last but one to leave today.

But not content to just zoom back to the nearest train station for moi, we went on a jaunt down the Old Main Line, to enjoy not only the scenery, but also some amazing historical buildings and history.

Many many thanks to all our old pals we met up with, but also to the new ones we met..you all made it such a fantastic, fun time for us, and look forward to seeing you all next year.

Belated treescrunching huggles to our lovely friend matty @):-

Tree, Pb and Pete aka Gadget, Wolves and the minxes leopard Pixels

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

• Greenie 1

Arrived in Hawne Basin at 5.30. Rather missing the 2pm deadline for diesel!

2pm deadlines are a bad thing we'll avoid them for the rest of our weeks holiday.

Followed Atlas and Malus part of the way then went past them. Atlas feeling poorly, so as Richard is on holiday and can therefore do what he likes he's spending tomorrow morning in the engine room fettling the engine! I get to sleep in and chill out.

Good challenge this year, winning chances scuppered by Factory locks but we love an adventure and we had some this year.

1. Politely suggested to moor elsewhere Friday night by 2 very nice policemen.

2. Ferreted a brick from behind the top gate on one of the Garrison locks so it would close and we could go down

3. After assisting Treemonkey up Rushall locks due to low water got fed up with following them and watching them get stuck. so overtook when they were stuck in the middle of the channel and took them in tow to the final 2 locks. Quote. "I can't believe you are even doing that" as we hauled them them along.

4. Abandoned Tawny to our excellent crew to go home for a birthday party and returned to meet them in Walsall basin. Found them arriving an hour after schedule and all buzzing with the fun and shenanigans they'd had on Walsall locks.

5. Removed 1 1/2 shopping trolleys from the top gate on Riders green bottom lock as we couldn't close the gate after we left. 1/ 2 crew sorting that gate while the rest moved tawny up the flight.

6. Fun at park head, decided to reverse down to make life easier and arrived to find Red Wharf just going into bottom lock. "Helped" them up the flight to get them out of the way, then to make sure them were not slowing us down any more Richard moved out of the top lock as far as just clearing the gate, then backed in again and we descended backwards much to Stuart's confusion and Libby's annoyance. I can now confirm, team Red Wharf can be bought, one of my fruit cakes and we're all friends again.

7. Final dash to finish on time decided on Factory rather than the few extra points via Brades. Joined back of queue behind Brighton and Nuneaton, Joanna and 2 day boats, Dotteral. 2pm finish now impossible so we had lunch in shifts and crew took it in turn to work the middle lock to help things get moving again.

8. Longest boat jam I've ever seen coming into Bradley workshop. Seemed to come to a dead stop with no one knowing what to do stuck behind 5 ex working boats and buttes. Smudge sorted it and we arrived just in time for the last of the beer.

Thanks to the organisers, and especially to the members of Team Tawny Owl including this years new recruits.

Really enjoyed it, even the unexpected and difficult bits.

Let's do it again.

Sue. (Forgot to log Richard out.)

The other members of TTO got back OK in Sue's car. The Moomins are feeling more tired than either have done for a long while, and have gone nowhere except up and down as an endless stream of hireboats goes through our pound at the top of the South Stratford. A bank holiday and half-term have transformed this canal from last week.

I've not had so much fun in a long time. It was a really great experience. Thanks to Richard and Sue for the chance to take part.

MP.

We made it down the 21 after meeting brighton and Nuneaton and dora venus in the services at broad street, we then let dora venus pass us in a pound as paul grappled to release a tape measure from around the prop! Bella whined most of the way down as she's not keen on locks. We are now near Penkridge and have moored next to the chocolate boat- yummy! Safe journey home to everyone!