Working Boats still carrying

Heartland

Featured Posts

I guess it depends if you want full boats, or will accept boats that might just be half a certain boat (if you get what ii mean).

Off the top of my head I'll give you;

Baron

Indus (half of Indus?)

Pictor

Severner 'Ash' (which I think is actually half of Alder?)

Hyperion

Towcester

Southern Cross

Callisto

Roach

Auriga

Tipton

Alton

Aeriel

Anne

Ascot & Beverly (although I've never seen them moving)

Bletchley

Victoria

There is also the Leeds & Liverpool boat whos name escapes me.

Gosty Hill of course ceased trading a few years ago and I believe is about to be converted. Not sure what's going on with Henks old boat Heart of Gold either.

Edited by junior

Also, Nuneaton & Brighton could probably be included in that list. I don't think they have a regular run/patch like the ones in my list, but they definitely deliver coal. I've seen a few Joshers out this year loaded with loose coal. I'm not sure if they were actually trading/delivering or whether it was just for show but I can't recall the names as one Josher is the same as the next to me.

I've left Archimedes & Ara off the list as although they are configured to trade and have been until recently, they are currently laid up doing nothing.

Edited by junior

Ascot, yes (and it does move, fore example it loads at Fenny Stratford sometimes)

Beverley no. because it has a full cabin conversion.

Apologies, I've been past them a few times (if I'm thinking the right boats) and always thought they were in the same place. I guess the motor is on the outside as I've never really noticed the butty, but they always seem to be mentioned together when referred to.

Towcester

And its butty, Bideford.

Also I suspect that Leo No 2 will pop in shortly to remind us that Sculptor currently also has some of Julia's coal loaded on to it.

Stanton has also served as a warehouse for Julia sometimes in recewnt yeras.

Aquarius and Ilford are currently carrying a load of "proper" (unbagged) coal, but it is not for retail sale.

Edited by alan_fincher

And its butty, Bideford.

Also I suspect that Leo No 2 will pop in shortly to remind us that Sculptor currently also has some of Julia's coal loaded on to it.

Stanton has also served as a warehouse for Julia sometimes in recewnt yeras.

Aquarius and Ilford are currently carrying a load of "proper" (unbagged) coal, but it is not for retail sale.

In that case we better add St. Austell to the list!

Stanton has actually carried for Jules Fuels so I think you could include it. Nuneaton and Brighton do have a regular run (though Stoke Bruerne on Thursday/Friday last week) so I think they should be included. Sculptor, to be quite honest, is just looking after coal and although she's been through Blisworth and down to the A508 with the current load it would be stretching things too far to list her as carrying as she is technically an accessioned museum exhibit although she is quite capable of returning to trade if it were ever permitted!

What about Nick Wolfe with Aldgate and the boats that are often at Alvecote such as Kangaroo, Australia, Kestral and I'm sure there are some others.

I've never personally seen Aldgate anything other than unloaded in Nick's ownership. Maybe it has been on occasions, I don't know?

It is quite correct that quite a number of the boats assosciated with the "South Midland" name often are, both those loosely based at Alvecote, but also the boats on the Lee, largely owned by the Pinnock family.

There also seems to be a trend at the moment of "loading" some of the unconverted boats with something heavy, and boating it around the system, but it seems often only to create a loaded boat, rather than the load actually going anywhere for any practical purpose. (Or if that's wrong, perhaps someone can explain the background to some of the current "loads" that are not actually fuels).

Well I walked past LING several times at Braunston and it was 'loaded' with several of those large builders merchant sacks things full of sand. I can't imagine they would do that just to make it look loaded so I presume they were going to be delivered to a building site.

There also seems to be a trend at the moment of "loading" some of the unconverted boats with something heavy, and boating it around the system, but it seems often only to create a loaded boat, rather than the load actually going anywhere for any practical purpose. (Or if that's wrong, perhaps someone can explain the background to some of the current "loads" that are not actually fuels).

Perhaps because a loaded boat is far more interesting, enjoyable and IMHO easier to handle than an unloaded boat.

Well I walked past LING several times at Braunston and it was 'loaded' with several of those large builders merchant sacks things full of sand. I can't imagine they would do that just to make it look loaded so I presume they were going to be delivered to a building site.

This rings a bell. wasn't the load destined for construction work on one of the canal restoration projects, perhaps the Chesterfield?

Seeing ROACH at the BCNS Bonfire Gathering at Smethwick, I did wonder how many former working boats that still carry coal and fuel for boaters use.

I wonder if Laurence has the answer?

Ray Shill

Although there is only a finite number of ex-working boats still on the canals I feel this question is impossible to answer. Boats change hands year on year, and the way that owners choose to operate their boats changes with their personal circumstances. In theory every unconverted boat is available for loading, although clearly some will need renovations before that would be really viable. Some owners that are involved in the coal trade are very affluent and their boats are restored at high cost and then loaded for fun rather than commercial gain - so should these be counted ? At least one pair involved in the retail coal trade is owned and operated by a non profit making charity so in theory is taking trade away from those who are employed full time - so should they be counted ?

Perhaps because a loaded boat is far more interesting, enjoyable and IMHO easier to handle than an unloaded boat.

I have boated both loaded and empty boats over the past 40+ years and I have never been aware of a loaded boat attracting more interest than an empty boat, not from the public's perspective anyway. My own preference, especially now that I am getting a bit older is for an empty boat. I have always liked the high fore end of a 'large' Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. motor, especially on the southern Oxford Canal or Staffs and Worcs Canal where the view of the high cratch sweeping around the tight bends gives me great pleasure - although these high fore ends do tend to worry boats coming the other way around a tight bend, especially when they see that you have a butty as well captain.gif

Edited by pete harrison

I have boated both loaded and empty boats over the past 40+ years and I have never been aware of a loaded boat attracting more interest than an empty boat, not from the public's perspective anyway. My own preference, especially now that I am getting a bit older is for an empty boat. I have always liked the high fore end of a 'large' Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. motor, especially on the southern Oxford Canal or Staffs and Worcs Canal where the view of the high cratch sweeping around the tight bends gives me great pleasure.

Even if it raises rather different emotions in the heart of the boater coming the other way.smile.png

George ex nb Alton retired