moving our boat north

Mary 1

Featured Posts

I am sorry to be a pain, but we are trying to get our boat to the north from Aldermaston Wharf Reading, to Bramworth junction in Yorkshire, can anyone help me and tell me if there is a clear 3 weeks on the journey please. I have done a canal plan from the internet its 287 miles and114 locks. I know all you folk will know all the rivers and canals involved much better then us. here is hoping.

Hi Mike

yes I have ad a look, and it said 6 hours travel, but we don't know the waterways that well, and I was just wondering if there was some one out there that could say, oh I know that one and that's on their way, if you know what we mean, and also there won't be much on the rivers or at the locks, I was also thinking.

What size of boat is it

Some canals are limited to narrow beam boats (7 foot) and some locks are limited in length.

If you have a widebeam, or a cruiser with a beam over 7 foot, your only way is by road (on a truck)

ETA :

I cannot find a Bramworth Junction , but there is a Bramwith Junction (North of Stainforth - is that where you mean ?

Having looked at the route ensure yo are prepared for a fair bit of River work, ensure you have Anchor, VHF Radio and liejackets. Remember you will be on a Tidal river.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That works out at 20 lock miles a day. One helluva pace to keep up for three weeks in short daylight hours. I'd put aside a month at least unless you are willing to really go for it.

Lock stoppages can be checked here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

MtB

Do you bowhaul your boats everywhere? Going on what you seem to think is a fairly normal distance in a day it sounds as though you do.

I am sorry to be a pain, but we are trying to get our boat to the north from Aldermaston Wharf Reading, to Bramworth junction in Yorkshire, can anyone help me and tell me if there is a clear 3 weeks on the journey please. I have done a canal plan from the internet its 287 miles and114 locks. I know all you folk will know all the rivers and canals involved much better then us. here is hoping.

The most direct route is Thames to Oxford, Oxford Cut to Braunston, Braunston to Buckby on to the Leicester Cut then the Soar on to the Trent and down to Keadby, then Keadby Cut to Bramwith.

Is that the route that gives you the 287miles and 114 locks? It sounds about right but I don't know for sure because I've never reckoned up distances or numbers of locks when on those waterways.

You'll need to check on Stoppage dates and that your boat is no more than 7 foot beam because of the single locks on the Oxford and Leicester Cut. If you're wider than 7 foot it's either up the East Coast to Boston or the M1.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Much depends on when you are going to do the journey.

A cursory look at the winter stoppages map would seem to show the following:-

On the most obvious route there are stoppages at Watford and around Leicester but at different times before and after xmas.

Watford is shut now till the month end and there are multiple stoppages planned for the Leister area planned for the New Year.

On the South Oxford there are stoppages at Napton for December so if you could get the boat North of there before then it looks as if you may have a clear run to Yorkshire during that month.

I must say it's an ambitious journey to tackle during the winter stoppage period, works sometimes over run and of course we are fast approaching the time when the cut may actually freeze over which will hold you up.

Thank you all so much for this info, I had a look at moving it by road, and that could be a very interesting option.

It is 55 feet long and the standard 7 feet wide.

Its a bit of a naughty story really, but I had a chap off this site ask me if he could rent the boat in sept, for a week, and I said how about doing the delivery for me instead.

We new each other through another interest,

anyway,

he said yes he was up for it, and had his two chums who would help, as they were all retired folk.

I told him I had not seen the vessel in 18 months, but a chap at the moorings had a key and was looking after it for us.

He got to the boat, rang to say it was filthy and needed to use a B & B as it was too dirty to sleep on.

I offered to pay for this too.

This is going to be better then the Sunday papers, if you want to read on. or shall I say if you would like the saga, before I go on, please post yes or no, and I will continue later today.

YES

I would suggest that if the boat has not been used for 18 months that it would be very worthwhile having it properly checked over and an engine service done, fuel tank checked for water / bug / muck, filters changed.

Tidal rivers in the Winter floods are not a time to have problems.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

YES

I would suggest that if the boat has not been used for 18 months that it would be very worthwhile having it properly checked over and an engine service done, fuel tank checked for water / bug / muck, filters changed.

Tidal rivers in the Winter floods are not a time to have problems.

I agree with this too.

Of course if the OP wanted to avoid tidal rivers it is possible 'going the long way around' which is what we did when we moved our boat north ie in her case Thames, The Oxfords, The Coventry, Trent and Mersey, Bridgewater, L&L, A&CN, New Junction to Bramwith on the S&K.

Or of course being only 55 feet there is the alternative trans Pennine route to the L&L this being the Rochdale or Huddesfield to the Calder and Hebble.

However there is likely to be a shed load of stoppages to get caught up in going that way (Though I admit I haven't actually checked)

Regardless though, yes definitely service the engine and change the filters anyway after so long.

Edited by The Dog House

Thank you all so much for this info, I had a look at moving it by road, and that could be a very interesting option.

It is 55 feet long and the standard 7 feet wide.

Its a bit of a naughty story really, but I had a chap off this site ask me if he could rent the boat in sept, for a week, and I said how about doing the delivery for me instead.

We new each other through another interest,

anyway,

he said yes he was up for it, and had his two chums who would help, as they were all retired folk.

I told him I had not seen the vessel in 18 months, but a chap at the moorings had a key and was looking after it for us.

He got to the boat, rang to say it was filthy and needed to use a B & B as it was too dirty to sleep on.

I offered to pay for this too.

This is going to be better then the Sunday papers, if you want to read on. or shall I say if you would like the saga, before I go on, please post yes or no, and I will continue later today.

Yes,let's hear the rest of it.

As far as the boat is concerned, what Alan has just said is absolutely right, and something for extra special attention is the fuel tank. These days we have something called 'diesel bug' which blocks filters and stops engines, and it thrives in the tanks of boats that are not being used.

Obviously well looked after.

I can only reiterate what others have said full engine service, oil change, oil, fuel and air filters..

Look at getting the fuel in the boat at least 'polished' if not totally replaced.

This is an example http://www.jgmarinesurveys.co.uk/fuel-polishing/ there will be somewhere or even a mobile service, nearer the boat.

So the saga went like this, The boat friend got to the boat, had to cut his way in as he lost the key to padlock, then charged me for new padlock, he had b and b £40 for first night as he said the boat was filthy. He then threw away all drid food and anything and everything out of date, didn't mind this. he then said he was entertaining new lady friend for a week first before he moved the boat, said ok. First week before friend arrived sent him £450 to pay for some new batts [3 leisure] charged me for collection. Then safety cert ran out, paid test guy direct. he had to go twice, and received very rude text to hurry him up to revisit. No one had been able to find the gas nipple, I paid to have another fitted, and the fridge got buggered, so paid electrian to fit new lead, which was not fitted behind cupboards. Water under floor again, no one noticed it was a pump leaking. so boat was traveling towards reading full of water. In end, after he had had his holiday with friend, I got a bill for another £650 for fuel more repairs, car parking charges, and was told he was dumping boat, unless we could find a slot for it at once. which we did at Aldermaston, so so kind of them, they repaired pump too.

Also was told he found a gallon can of petrol by the cooker.

Well me thinks key holder had allowed some one to stay on the vessel, if it was that dirty, and I had no need for the fuel. it was not mine and I had never put anything like this on my boats ever. a lesson well learned, and shared.

You can say that again, he had a four weeks on the boat, it moved beautifully in the water, he told me that, not so much as a thank you for the whole four weeks, Just ran me down to everyone he met, and as my boats name is so well known, all he spoke to about us, they all sided with him, and ran me down really badly. I paid for the silver in the canal rescue, which I no longer need now, and it will all be wasted too. If I could get a lorry for Friday this week, they are craning out at the marina, so looking desperately, Tuckeys are fully booked sadly, anyone know of anyone else, even thought of stobarts, they could make more film of the lift.

And at no point at all did you personally visit the boat?

As has been suggested by someone else, I'd have a chat with Matty40s who is one of the forums resident professional boat movers? Yes it does sound like there will be issues with stoppages, but he might be able to work around these. It has to be worth seeing what his charges would be like compared to craning it in and out plus lorry transport.

If you can't find his profile to send him a PM his contact details are on his website. http://oldfriendscanalservices.weebly.com/contact-me.html

And at no point at all did you personally visit the boat?

As has been suggested by someone else, I'd have a chat with Matty40s who is one of the forums resident professional boat movers? Yes it does sound like there will be issues with stoppages, but he might be able to work around these. It has to be worth seeing what his charges would be like compared to craning it in and out plus lorry transport.

If you can't find his profile to send him a PM his contact details are on his website. http://oldfriendscanalservices.weebly.com/contact-me.html

Nigel Carton moves boats too. :)

I realise that, but having never met him or used his services i cannot personally recommend him (although i know many do), but having used Mattys services regularly i am happy to recommend him to anyone.

And I have used Nigel's services.

I was just pointing out other than Matty can be classed as a resident forum boat mover.

I would be happy to use either. TBH.