Slough Arm

pearley

Featured Posts

...which leads to very expensive race entry fees at Dorney, because of the cost of holding an event there

As the mother of a rower, who has rowed many times on both pieces of water, Dorney is far better to row on. Holme Pierrepont is very windy - too windy to become an airfield which was one of the options apparently, so it's fine for sailing, but one one occasion the water was so choppy due to the wind, that rowing boats were sinking.

That wouldn't have been great in the Olympics! Races are sometimes won there due to the lane raced on being more or less affected by the wind direction! When milliseconds count, this could make or break a result!

While having my van MOT the other day I decided to walk from the basin up to the next bridge approximately 1/4 mile. In that short space I must of seen at least 50 to 60 full size rats that were totally un-fazed by my being there. I would've walked further but my nerves got the better of me. If anybody did decide to take a trip down to lovely Slough Basin I was suggest you don't stop otherwise your boat will be swamped by rats looking for easy pickings.

Darren

Rats or water voles? There always were loads of voles around that bridge, saying that there were plenty of rats aswell, as people taking their kids to school used to throw bread etc (including wrappers) over the bridge into the water.

• 7 months later...

I'm moored at High Line - since March 2012. [touching wood] have never had a problem with the locals and since the dredging have had no problems getting down to the basin and back again - I've seen a few boats moored for a couple of weeks as its pretty handy for trains into Paddington. Yes not the prettest of basins but the canal itself is pretty rural even if at the top of the banking is a lot of light industry, you can see it in winter but not in summer. Loads of fish in the water as well, if you like that sort of thing. One really nice mooring location is a couple of hundred yards from the junction, pillings and just the distant hum of the M25 - apart from that its really peaceful and you wouldn't realise you were in Yiewsley (oh the occasional rumple of Heathrow in the distance. Hillingdon narrowboats took their trip boats for the Slough Canal festival and were astounded by how easy it was to get down to the basin now - so £850k well spent by CRT. I understand that he canal was cut to extract materials for making bricks - hence it was one of the deepest on the canal system - the link to the Thames was a afterthought and rejected by the then Slough Council. Plans still get dusted down now and again and given its only 2 miles could well happen if multi millions were found.

So if you want to explore the canal system it well worth a look - just don't expect too much at the end (CRT own all the land there and I sure have 'plans'.

This is where we are moored tonight on the pilings. Never been here before. Unlike others we will be back. Because Its quiet (despite the M25 white noise) and full of nature and it looks like there will be great walks tomorrow. Tonight we sat outside on the wide quiet towpath with bunnies around our feet and bats and stag beetles flying around our ears. If you want a wide towpath to have a bbq without the racetrack of cyclists you get elsewhere in London then this seems like a good spot.

The mainline GU around here is full of rubbish and we had an army sweater around the prop,at Bulls Bridge. No evidence of weeds or litter that others are complaining of on this thread. Sounds like things have improved a lot.

This is where we are moored tonight on the pilings. Never been here before. Unlike others we will be back. Because Its quiet (despite the M25 white noise) and full of nature and it looks like there will be great walks tomorrow. Tonight we sat outside on the wide quiet towpath with bunnies around our feet and bats and stag beetles flying around our ears. If you want a wide towpath to have a bbq without the racetrack of cyclists you get elsewhere in London then this seems like a good spot.

The mainline GU around here is full of rubbish and we had an army sweater around the prop,at Bulls Bridge. No evidence of weeds or litter that others are complaining of on this thread. Sounds like things have improved a lot.

Cycled past you this afternoon on my way to work.

Keep your eyes out for the small Deer that visit this stretch, and yes, bunnies galore

We were on the arm yesterday, but only as far as bridge 6 due to time constraints. Pretty but straight, loads of dragonflies and a heron who did a great display of flying up and down for us.

Saw your boat Lady Muck when we stopped for lunch.