'Goodies' at Lidl

tangysheep

Featured Posts

battery powered gas alarm - good point

everything I have seen needs a mains supply - are there any battery powered ones?

I think the Lidl one says it's suitable for 12 volt supply, so could be wired into the boat electrics. I'm quite tempted by this one myself.

Arthur

I'd rather have a 9v battery operated gas alarm than 12v. I don't like permanent loads. Have a look at this:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/tiny_loads.html

That's fine for smoke detectors and CO detectors that take hardly any current, but I don't know any gas alarm that takes a low enough current to be powered from an internal battery. Ours, for example, passes a permanent current of about 80 mA through each of its two sensors (that's from my rather failing memory so may not be exact) so although the detector electronics take a negligible current the whole system would flatten a 9V battery in no time at all.

Allan

Noticed the following advertised on the Lidl site available 1st Feb.

Fire extinguisher £4.99

After seeing news of this on another site, I checked the ANAF website. AFAI can see the compny's marketing and technical information indicates that all of ANAF dry powder products are carrying the Marine Equipment Directive attestation mark. BUT anyone considering purchasing should double check for the mark on the product in the shop just in case Lidl has stocked an item that was intended for a another market in a different part of the world and thus carries no suitable mark of assurance. Although again, the company's information suggests all of their relevent extinguishers meet the Directive.

I was even surprised to see on this Spanish website, the Boat Safety Scheme logo, even if it is our old pre-2002 version. Unfortunately it is showing that one of its Carbon Dioxide extinguishers is suitable for the BSS, but it cannot be as it is not suitable for A class fires! :D

Once again, without checking the actual item so please apply buyer beware principles, the evidence suggests that the Lidl advertised product has a 5A 34B capacity. If so, that would meet our requirements, but do please check again before purchase (if it is intended that we should consider it part of the boat's compliment of suitable extinguishers).

All this and more can be checked in our BSS Essential Guide at http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloads/...de_chap6web.pdf

Regards

Rob@BSS

Go boating - Stay safe

After seeing news of this on another site, I checked the ANAF website. AFAI can see the compny's marketing and technical information indicates that all of ANAF dry powder products are carrying the Marine Equipment Directive attestation mark. BUT anyone considering purchasing should double check for the mark on the product in the shop just in case Lidl has stocked an item that was intended for a another market in a different part of the world and thus carries no suitable mark of assurance. Although again, the company's information suggests all of their relevent extinguishers meet the Directive.

I was even surprised to see on this Spanish website, the Boat Safety Scheme logo, even if it is our old pre-2002 version. Unfortunately it is showing that one of its Carbon Dioxide extinguishers is suitable for the BSS, but it cannot be as it is not suitable for A class fires! :D

Once again, without checking the actual item so please apply buyer beware principles, the evidence suggests that the Lidl advertised product has a 5A 34B capacity. If so, that would meet our requirements, but do please check again before purchase (if it is intended that we should consider it part of the boat's compliment of suitable extinguishers).

All this and more can be checked in our BSS Essential Guide at http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloads/...de_chap6web.pdf

Regards

Rob@BSS

Go boating - Stay safe

I think it's ridiculous that this country is now so deregulated that a big chain retail outlet can sell safety equipment that isn't up to UK safety standards! I don't mind trying unknown brands of sardines and peanut butter but one has to draw the line somewhere.

I think it's ridiculous that this country is now so deregulated that a big chain retail outlet can sell safety equipment that isn't up to UK safety standards! I don't mind trying unknown brands of sardines and peanut butter but one has to draw the line somewhere.

I bought three fire extinguishers from Lidl last year for the car and the house. Whilst they did not have a BS Kite mark on them, they did have several European Marks on them, including two which are identified in the BSS handbook, so I guess that they would be ok for a boat.

• 2 months later...

Netto are currently doing an in-car DVD player for £69.99. Handy if you've no inverter.

Also a JCB ball pool for £19.99 which I am getting major earache over. I must make sure I read the flyers before 5 year old son does.

I always think of 'baddies' at Lidl. Well I usually see a line of shoplifters coming out in their tracky bottoms and shell suits.

Apparently "lidling" is a new buzzword for the bargain hunting fad of smart, middle class women. Read it in the Observer so it must be true (and a little bit of pseudo-intellectual sneering as well).

I think it's ridiculous that this country is now so deregulated......

I'm going to assume that's a joke. Being the the most overregulated, red tape restricted, over civil servantised nanny state in the entire world.

Gibbo