When did leisure boats first arrive on canals?

Featured Posts

Not Jethro Tull? I remember seeing that one on our first ever UK hire boat hol circa 1995 on the Grand Union. Never seen another stern-wheeler on the canals sine then, though I understand that there used to be a few on shallow stretches as they could be less deep-draughted than screw-driven boats.

Jethro Tull - seen on the River Wey in June 2012:

IMG_3836_zps5cfec140.jpg

• Greenie 1

Excellent! Is there any corner of the waterways which the eyes and ears of CWF do not reach? Have a greeno.

So Jethro appears to be alive and well, if rather in need of a repaint, and living at the bottom of her (his?) owner's garden. There is a somewhat home-made look about her; does anyone know her history?

Not Jethro Tull? I remember seeing that one on our first ever UK hire boat hol circa 1995 on the Grand Union. Never seen another stern-wheeler on the canals sine then, though I understand that there used to be a few on shallow stretches as they could be less deep-draughted than screw-driven boats.

I am really stretching my memory now (completely knackered) but I believe the stern wheel one I saw was called "Nootnop." Don''t take that as gospel, my mind has a habit of mixing things up wink.png

Jethro Tull - seen on the River Wey in June 2012:

IMG_3836_zps5cfec140.jpg

Not the one I have in mind, but believe I have seen that boat over the years. Great pic smile.png

I suspect that most canal Acts had clauses related to the use of pleasure boats, which usually required some form of permission before they could use the canal which, after all, was private property. On the L&LC, the section from my history of the canal suggests:

The earliest reference to pleasure boats in the committee minutes occurs in 1839, though they must have already been well established. In that year Mr Brown of Keighley was granted permission to keep a small boat on the canal. At the same time Mr Fletcher, the engineer. was ordered to prevent such boats being used or hired out on Sundays. In 1855, the company charged five shillings per annum for the privilege of keeping a pleasure boat on the canal. This was increased to fifteen shillings by 1870.

1839! That is a real eye-opener. I will remember that next time a disagreeable fisherman says "I was fishing here before you pleasure boat lot came!"

Edited by Guest

This is the boat that I owned between 2005 and 2012. She's now back on the Wey with her new owner (the fourth since I sold her!)

Dobsons were reckoned to be one of the best narrow-beam cruiser builders.

David

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/DavidA952/media/JohnDobsonBoatShow1967_zps2c96ef89.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hope the link works. It seems to. How do I make the picture appear here?

Edited by DRA

I recall back in the 1970's seeing numerous ex-military pontoons that had become pleasure boat conversions. These conversions could still be commonly seen well into the 1980's.

There was a firm near Alrewas that sold all manner of ex WD kit he had about 200 or more pontoons IIrc 20£ for 2 in the late 50"s also he had a stock of airborne lifeboats again 20£ & it came fitted with a marinised Austin 7 engine. My uncle built a pontoon conversion from 2 units, with a Ford 8 engine with gearbox & rear axle to which he fitted 2 separate stern paddle wheels, being rod brakes he rigged it with independent brake operation so it assisted the steering by slowing or locking one or the other paddles He & my aunt did many hundreds of miles over the 8 or so year he had it.