I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

But how would they know you have done something wrong regards moving your boat if they don't periodically log it's location?

I think at 30 minute intervals is a bit too often.... and logging me while i'm cruising tells them nothing, I carried on for a few hours after they saw me, but for all they knew I could have moored up straight away.

I think we all know the boats that never move, or hardly move, it blatantly obvious to anyone..

Casp'

You will be logged as moored in 2 different places so hey it will show you moved unlike if you had only been logged once

Surely when cruising they wont log you as moored? that could really mess with the log, especially if you were seen (logged) passing a visitor mooring?

Casp'

Cotswoldsman: "I am going to try and make this a short post"

Well... you tried! wink.png

He didn't say a short thread....

Ok

Good of you to offer to help though..

Casp'

I think we all know the boats that never move, or hardly move, it blatantly obvious to anyone..

Casp'

Do we? or rather do you? given you spend more time on the water than I do.

Personally if I was CCing and was moving sufficiently I would have no problem being logged, in fact even as a boater with a home mooring who gets logged from time to time I have no problem with it either.

Compared to the amount of monitoring that goes on in day to day life off the cut (CCTV/ANPR/Mobile phone etc etc) I think occasionally having your boat position monitored is pretty much small fry TBH.

They will

I hope the chap who logged my while I was in a staircase lock didn't log me as being moored..

If it's true that they log you as being mooring when they see you cruising, that could be a great way out when they take someone to court, just say you were cruising and not moored, they just log it the same..

Casp'

Might be trivial to you as you were not the one trying to buy a winter mooring and it is at 2 different locations that I have been logged more than once on the same day. I was the one accused of non compliance and unlike your stamp it was personal to me as someone who for 8 years has complied

Please don't think I am trying to defend CRT for making mistakes. You have sorted it out, presumably with little effort, and hopefully received an apology.

As I said before, what has happened in the past has no relevance to the present year. If I forget to renew my car licence or insurance this year then there is a problem even though I have always done so in the past.

Please don't think I am trying to defend CRT for making mistakes. You have sorted it out, presumably with little effort, and hopefully received an apology.

As I said before, what has happened in the past has no relevance to the present year. If I forget to renew my car licence or insurance this year then there is a problem even though I have always done so in the past.

I am sorry you are losing me, it did happen this year. The accusation of not being compliant yesterday and yesterday when I posted that felt quite recent Edited by cotswoldsman

Short update: hadn't had a reply to my email so called the main office. Told traders not elligible for a winter mooring. Explained that I was a ccer. No go. So apparently the winter mooring people will call me back but since I've never had a call back on any issue I've ever called about before, and since I am apparently not elligible anyway, I'm not holding my breath. Funny thing, if I'm not a ccer, and I don't have a home mooring, what am I? Am I an outlaw? Cool.

Edited by Captain Zim

Short update: hadn't had a reply to my email so called the main office. Told traders not elligible for a winter mooring. Explained that I was a ccer. No go. So apparently the winter mooring people will call me back but since I've never had a call back on any issue I've ever called about before, and since I am apparently not elligible anyway, I'm not holding my breath. Funny thing, if I'm not a ccer, and I don't have a home mooring, what am I? Am I an outlaw? Cool.

Could not make it up it just goes from bad to worse. I really do believe CRT are becoming clueless Traders Have always been able to get winter moorings I guess you and your fellow traders that work hard to promote the canals have become outcasts

I'm going to paint that on the bow

Eta: I do believe it is clearly a glitch with the system, nothing else. But a fee things bother me.

When I called to explain I got the feeling that the person the other end thought I was having a go. I wasn't, I was trying to work things through. They do seem to take offence very easily.

I'm fairly sure i'm not the first person to have called them about this issue. So why can't they then brief to their customer service teams to give accurate advice? Yes I know the system only went live two days ago but they are a multi million pound trust. They should be dealing with things like this.

I only want a general permit. No rush. But what if I wanted a particular spot such as London and they were sold out by the time they address an issue they are no aware of?

Edited by Captain Zim

There was a chap on dressed like some paramilitary Ninja on a bike logging numbers on the North Oxford near Ansty a couple of weeks ago. I was cruising along, and my jacket was on the roof but partly obscuring my CRT number. This seemed to upset him, but as he did not identify himself, I just ignored him.

He could have just been some wierd spotter...

Could not make it up it just goes from bad to worse. I really do believe CRT are becoming clueless Traders Have always been able to get winter moorings I guess you and your fellow traders that work hard to promote the canals have become outcasts

We have a traders licence My wife is a commission artist I am an RYA Instructor and we are Ccer's we have taken BW/CRT winter moorings without problems for the last 8 years. We got our email telling us that winter moorings would go on sale 1st October this year and that we were eligible as per usual! As it happens we are going into the Saltersford arm this winter so will not be taking up their kind offer.

Edited by oasistoo

We have a traders licence My wife is a commission artist I am an RYA Instructor and we are Ccer's we have taken BW/CRT winter moorings without problems for the last 8 years. We got our email telling us that winter moorings would go on sale 1st October this year and that we were eligible as per usual! As it happens we are going into the Saltersford arm this winter so will not be taking up their kind offer.

Sounds like you are lucky then I am sure it will be sorted but should not have happened and Captain Zim should not have been told what he was on the phone

Ok it is sorted but still extremly worrying. As I am on the phone I am a bit restricted.

I was logged 13 times at the same bridge on the Staffs and Worc now I knew this as I has a copy of my logging. So when I spoke to Parveen just now she started by telling me I was bridge hopping I asked where and she told me about being logged 13 times at the same bridge. I then asked (knowing the answer already) if she could give me the dates of all those logging, this was followed by a bit of a silence........ She then said April 2014 I then asked what dates in April she then said April 12 and when I asked what other dates she said ah all on one day!!! In all fairness to Parveen she did say all she does is look at the logging and if she sees repeating at one place she does not then sit down and analyse the dates. Parveen has now sorted everything including making sure the system knows I am a CCER.

I does however give me great concern that my non compliant e was based on one day this year and she had not looked to see until I asked her to that at the start of the year I was in Gloucester and last logging 8 days ago was just outside Wigan. Why am bothered not for myself but for other cc'ers who might not have been so vigorous to sort it out.

The having a home mooring we have put down to BW

I am happy to accept Parveen apology and I shall purchase my Winter Mooring in 30 mins by when Pardeen tells me the computer will be sorted. I live to fight another day.

Just one question remains "is the logging system fit for purpose?"

I would say "yes".

As to whether the users of the outputs are adequately trained, I might suggest "no"

Ah feel reassured now

You should.

Your experience tells you that a human being, with all the failings of a human being, is making the decisions based on data.

How Humans make mistakes, but you can talk to them and sort those mistakes out.

Far better than "Computer says NO"

You should.

Your experience tells you that a human being, with all the failings of a human being, is making the decisions based on data.

How Humans make mistakes, but you can talk to them and sort those mistakes out.

Far better than "Computer says NO"

Now I feel even more reassured