New to boating. I want to buy a new widebeam, is a 30ft x 12ft a bad idea?

ben_rogers93

Featured Posts

I'm with Lady Muck, we has an Ellis boiler which heats the water plus radiators inc 7 metres of fin rads, we do use it for perhaps an hour in the morning and sometimes a bit in the evening, saves lighting a fire when we only need a bit of heat which lighting the fire would be overkill.

Phil

I don't actually think it will make much difference with a boat as short and as wide as you plan. It will be a horror to steer whichever you choose.

MtB

P.S. Unless you install a bow thruster of course! biggrin.png

that will make it like one of those inner tubes with an outboard attached......

also, don't forget, we havn't had a really bad winter for several years now.

• 2 years later...
On 10/5/2014 at 13:06, Tuscan said:

I'd be tempted to make your own mind up by spending a couple of days walking the towpath in central London and also zone 2&3 and form your own opinion.

Zombie reply, just chatting - short version: lots of people on these forums say walk the towpaths and form your own view, so I have, by looking, thinking, and talking to folk, and my view is it doesn't seem that bad. And it's mid summer.... The thing I saw quite a lot of that I would be making a fuss about more than the cruisers are the great big hulking chunks of listing, rusting iron, with boxy extensions built on the top, that look like they will sink any day! They are massive and take up so much space - especially in the run up to Broadway Market. I know they're not on the towpath side, but still!

LONG VERSION: I see people say this a lot on here. I have lived in London all my life (including on boats at times, not recently), and I walk and sometimes (shhh) cycle the towpaths. Not all the time, but now and then all my life. I've always wanted to live on a boat again, and wanted to CC - and was blissfully unaware of the last few years' uptick in boat numbers. It's unsurprising, in light of the ridiculous state of the housing market, but I'd not thought about it.

I have been walking along some of the busiest bits of the GU and the lower Lea recently and they seem busy and full-ish but not packed and impossible by any means. 

I keep expecting to be horrified, perhaps I should be! And the people I speak to all say they don't generally have any major problems getting around and finding moorings.

I really don't have a wish to stay in the busiest places, or even in town, actually. I want to cruise, and I intend to go out to at least Devizes, maybe further, as well as the GU and Lea. But maybe it's because I'm a Londoner (with an elderly mam) that I will be kind of operating "out of" London. What I've seen and heard is not putting me off. I keep thinking maybe I'm missing something!

5 hours ago, captain flint said:

Zombie reply, just chatting - short version: lots of people on these forums say walk the towpaths and form your own view, so I have, by looking, thinking, and talking to folk, and my view is it doesn't seem that bad. And it's mid summer.... The thing I saw quite a lot of that I would be making a fuss about more than the cruisers are the great big hulking chunks of listing, rusting iron, with boxy extensions built on the top, that look like they will sink any day! They are massive and take up so much space - especially in the run up to Broadway Market. I know they're not on the towpath side, but still!

LONG VERSION: I see people say this a lot on here. I have lived in London all my life (including on boats at times, not recently), and I walk and sometimes (shhh) cycle the towpaths. Not all the time, but now and then all my life. I've always wanted to live on a boat again, and wanted to CC - and was blissfully unaware of the last few years' uptick in boat numbers. It's unsurprising, in light of the ridiculous state of the housing market, but I'd not thought about it.

I have been walking along some of the busiest bits of the GU and the lower Lea recently and they seem busy and full-ish but not packed and impossible by any means. 

I keep expecting to be horrified, perhaps I should be! And the people I speak to all say they don't generally have any major problems getting around and finding moorings.

I really don't have a wish to stay in the busiest places, or even in town, actually. I want to cruise, and I intend to go out to at least Devizes, maybe further, as well as the GU and Lea. But maybe it's because I'm a Londoner (with an elderly mam) that I will be kind of operating "out of" London. What I've seen and heard is not putting me off. I keep thinking maybe I'm missing something!

Now you have defined London a bit better you will be fine. Once past Kensal Cemetry on the GU it's "normal".

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, mark99 said:

Now you have defined London a bit better you will be fine. Once past Kensal Cemetry on the GU it's "normal".

Fair dos, though I was walking the towpath more east- camden, islington, hackney, etc. Didn't seem so bad but maybe that's because I don't have memories of it being less busy (I mean, I do, as I have been along these waterways on foot and bike all my life, but I probably wasn't thinking about what I was looking at in the same way)