Which fish can I eat?

Jez Walsh

Featured Posts

On a related subject, given the general unpallatability of freshwater fish, I often wonder what fish were 'cultivated' in the ancient fisheries one often sees mentioned on maps and when out and about on the cut.

I can't think of an example right now but I think they are often associated with mills and mill streams too.

Anyone here eaten carp? What's it like?

I saw fresh carp on sale in Morrisons here a few weeks ago!!!!

MtB

I've eaten carp, it was very nice but full of tiny bones. The one I ate was from a nice clean lake, I'm not sure I'd fancy eating one from the canal.

Carp is a traditional meal eaten by Poles on Xmas eve.

Phil

Which is why there are many signs with a man holding a fish with a band across it and underneath saying don't take the fish in polish along the gu.

Thanks for the replys guys. I know a spot on the canal after the Hanwell flight of locks where I have seen some big carp. But if it isn't legal ill stick to just catching them. Are there crayfish in canals?

For some reason there always was some massive carp around lock 90 towards bulls bridge, certain times of the year they would come right to the top and you could touch them. Probably around xmas eve. lol

Do everyone a favour and remove only American Signal Crayfish to eat. Strictly speaking you need a CaRT licence for this see link below.

NB CaRT state:

"It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. The reporter should telephone the Environment Agency 0800 807060 immediately"

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/contact-us/faqs/fishing

And also the EA on any waters

On a related subject, given the general unpallatability of freshwater fish, I often wonder what fish were 'cultivated' in the ancient fisheries one often sees mentioned on maps and when out and about on the cut.

I can't think of an example right now but I think they are often associated with mills and mill streams too.

Anyone here eaten carp? What's it like?

I saw fresh carp on sale in Morrisons here a few weeks ago!!!!

MtB

My Russian mother-in-law loves carp and cooks it regularly. I eat it to be polite but I feel like gagging. It's probably as much in my head as in my taste buds. All my life I've been told that carp is crap so it's just an aversion I have to it.

On the other hand, she makes tripe that is out of this world!

one morning I found 2 tons of frozen tripe in my garage!!!

I had a pet food business and used to buy 1/4 of a ton at a time, the guy who delivered it came in the wee hours and off loaded mine plus he decided to leave the extra 2 tons so he could get at his load for the next drop, he did come back later for it.

He put mine in a big chest freezer that I had for the purpose, there was so much of the stuff on the concrete floor it was still solid when he came back.

Phil

I cooked and ate a 6lb pike that I caught forty plus years ago. It had a meaty (not flaky or mushy), satisfying texture like most predatory fish but no flavour (neither muddy nor fishy) other than that added by butter and herbs. I do not remember the bones being a problem and I am very finicky with e.g. herring.

Perhaps thirty years ago I had carp, professionally prepared in a well regarded German Restaurant. I remember nothing about it, it does not get into my top forty memorable meals.

I never caught a Perch that would make more than a mouthful.

The best eating and most copious fish I caught in Portsmouth Harbour and the Solent. Dabs, flounder, plaice, sea bass, pouting, eels - my mate would not let me get a 6' tope into his small boat. Grey mullet defeated me, you could see them near the surface at the edge of the harbour but apparently they need lightweight fresh-water lines, bait and hooks. A large catch (~160) of mackeral fom Newhaven harbour wall took two of us a couple of hours to gut and the rest of the morning to deliver to friends and neighbours.

I believe crustaceans absorb and retain heavy metals, mercury, lead etc. This was a problem in the upper reaches of Portsmouth Harbour, e.g. Fareham Creek. Maybe this is also true for crayfish? It is not the colour of the water that indicates its quality. The prescence of salmon or trout indicates good water quality but I wonder how salmon can find their way back to their ancestral spawning grounds after a century of pollution.

Alan

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! tripe! I will eat almost anything but just the smell of tripe cooking makes me gag!

In 1986 I went to Rio de Janeiro for New Years. One late morning I was trying to get over the previous night's partying and for some reason tripe on the menu sounded like it would be bland and easy on the stomach.

They brought out a complete, whole tongue. It even had hairs sticking out of the top. It was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. I never ate tripe since until Vera's mother cooked it and she made it with some gravy and it was actually quite good.

So what IS tripe, exactly?

I always imagine it being the same thing as ofal, but I think ofal is a catch-all term for the animal's organs; heart, liver, kidneys, brain, spleen etc.

I must say tripe isn't the first thing that springs to mind as a good thing to eat in the grip of a raging hangover!

cheers.gif

MtB

I always imagine it being the same thing as ofal, but I think ofal is a catch-all term for the animal's organs; heart, liver, kidneys, brain, spleen etc.

I must say tripe isn't the first thing that springs to mind as a good thing to eat in the grip of a raging hangover!

cheers.gif

MtB

Offal!

<koff>

cheers.gif

MtB

Tripe is the lining of a cows stomach, usually the first or second stomach is used.

Phil

I take back everything I said about tripe. I was thinking tongue and said tripe.

It was the tongue that was pretty good when prepared by Vera's mother.

Tripe I've only seen in menudo, Mexican soup, and I usually try to avoid it. I've see. it in Mexican butcher shops and it's actually kinda cool looking - but then so are caterpillars, but I wouldn't put either one in my mouth.

Gt Yarmouth market use to be the place for Tripe You should see it when its fresh, you would never eat it again

I have had what was called Pike/Perch on the menu when on holiday in France but couldn't tie them down to what fish it really was.

http://joemasonspage.wordpress.com/2012/07/24/great-yarmouth/

Gt Yarmouth market use to be the place for Tripe You should see it when its fresh, you would never eat it again

I have had what was called Pike/Perch on the menu when on holiday in France but couldn't tie them down to what fish it really was.

Pike/perch is another name for zander.

MtB

Great Yarmouth market was the highlight of my holidays as a kid back in the '50's - jellied eels and the finest chips I've ever eaten