Never seen a windlass like this

Ray T

Featured Posts

No connection, on eBay

It's obviously for turning something with a square shank but I can't see how it could work for any paddle gear I've come across - the extension handle looks to be in the same plane as the hole rather than at 90 degrees to it and the brass handle is not strong enough to do that.

Edited by Tam & Di

If it is genuinely 6 1/4" in length (3 1/2" when folded), then I estimate the size of the square in the end to be well under 1/2" (perhaps 4/10").

I'm not aware of any lock paddle gear on anything but a toy lock that could have operated with spindles this size, (I think about 7/8" was the normal smallest).

Plus with no apparent mechanisms to lock the two parts when it is "full length" it couldn't wind paddles that require winding with an anti-clockwise turn.

So this is definitely not what it says it is!

Not convinced it is a windlass to be honest!

Not convinced it has any connection with canals, to be honest!

John Holden, on 10 Sept 2014 - 4:02 PM, said:John Holden, on 10 Sept 2014 - 4:02 PM, said:

Or a clock winder?

Never seen one with a folding joint before, more usually a simple right angle with a spinning handle. Plus it would foul the clock casing as they normally have an extension that inserts inside over the winding mechanism.

It's clearly for winding something though but too ornamental for a lock windlass and as has been said pretty useless as one.

Something to do with a loom perhaps? - or for winding sheets on an old sailing boat?

<clutching at straws>

Edited by The Dog House

Never seen one with a folding joint before, more usually a simple right angle with a spinning handle. Plus it would foul the clock casing as they normally have an extension that inserts inside over the winding mechanism.

I should have been more explicit! For winding a tower clock, ie, one not cased in any way..

The brass handle looks all wrong like its been added later. I am going with a window latch, as previously suggested

The only reason i can see for it folding small is to put it in your pocket. Or it is not a handle.

But only ever any good for opening (or closing) a window, it wouldn't do both.

I should have been more explicit! For winding a tower clock, ie, one not cased in any way..

But only ever any good for opening (or closing) a window, it wouldn't do both.

I thought the suggestion was a window latch. Not a window latch winding handle.

ie a hinged item designed to hold a window open when extended which folds as the window closes.

Seems ornate like its something to look at rather than a tool.

The upper part of it as shown seems to have little teeth filed in it - decoration or functional?

I like the object quite a lot but would prefer to find it sticking to my magnet than on feebay

Perhaps it is a latch for holding the sloping windows at the front of a gentleman's twin screw motor yacht wheelhouse open?

I think the only thing that will wind up are the people trying to work out what it's for, looks like someone's just stuck a door handle knob on an old bit of scrap

Spot on but a nice bit of scrap imo ;)