Never seen a windlass like this

Ray T

Featured Posts

Or a clock winder?

When I was 8 or 9yrs old my Grandpa was the church warden for our local church,he was responsible for winding the church clock every week or ten days, there was a little tell tale weight on a wire to show if & when it required winding. As the access trapdoor was small & grandpa was quite a big fella, yours truly got roped in to do the job, the winding handle was almost if not identical even down to the brass knob that my grandpa fitted, the reason for the joint was that there was a part of the clocks mech that stopped you making a full rotation & rather than take the handle off every time you just folded it a little to get by the obstructing part IIRC it had a spring to return it to it's winding position after you had got passed the obstruction. But it was almost 70 years ago so I could by wrong

Edited by X Alan W

How many tower clocks does he have in his care?

Big Ben for a start biggrin.png , plus whatever else is in the palace. Then he does some massive clock in the Royal Courts of Justice. I just haven't seen him with anything like resembles that.

Big Ben for a start biggrin.png , plus whatever else is in the palace. Then he does some massive clock in the Royal Courts of Justice. I just haven't seen him with anything like resembles that.

Here was me thinking Big Ben was a bell. rolleyes.gif

When I was 8 or 9yrs old my Grandpa was the church warden for our local church,he was responsible for winding the church clock every week or ten days, there was a little tell tale weight on a wire to show if & when it required winding. As the access trapdoor was small & grandpa was quite a big fella, yours truly got roped in to do the job, the winding handle was almost if not identical even down to the brass knob that my grandpa fitted, the reason for the joint was that there was a part of the clocks mech that stopped you making a full rotation & rather than take the handle off every time you just folded it a little to get by the obstructing part IIRC it had a spring to return it to it's winding position after you had got passed the obstruction. But it was almost 70 years ago so I could by wrong

Have you seen the film 'Hugo', directed by Martin Scorsese? If not, you must, it's a wonderful film! About a young boy who winds the clock at the Gare Montparnasse in Paris....and much more.

MORE: Each time I look at these folding crank handles I imagine a white gloved butler taking it out of his pocket to do something

I just checked with my butler and he doesn't have one. Now I expect he'll be wanting one next. Bloody servants.

Totally unsuitable for winding a clock as it would not locate correctly on the winding arbour, clock keys are cylindrical generally. There are a multipal of other reasons too.

However I have no suggestion as to what it might be

So you don't know what it is but you know that it isn't a clock key!

I'd love to hear some of your other reasons for knowing that it is not a winding crank for a tower clock.

So you don't know what it is but you know that it isn't a clock key!

I'd love to hear some of your other reasons for knowing that it is not a winding crank for a tower clock.

Try google images and you'll see they're pretty well all large 2 hand jobbies.

I like the coffee grinder handle sugestion, it would make sense to have it folding as the weight would cause the grinder to fall over when not in use.

Google "Antique coffee grinder folding handle" and select images. Pages of them. ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=antique+coffee+grinder&client=firefox-a&hs=pCb&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HxBQVPD1E4O5PYCkgYgL&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1525&bih=705&dpr=0.9#rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=antique+coffee+grinder+folding+handle&imgdii=_

Try google images and you'll see they're pretty well all large 2 hand jobbies.

I like the coffee grinder handle sugestion, it would make sense to have it folding as the weight would cause the grinder to fall over when not in use.

Google "Antique coffee grinder folding handle" and select images. Pages of them. wink.png

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=antique+coffee+grinder&client=firefox-a&hs=pCb&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=HxBQVPD1E4O5PYCkgYgL&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1525&bih=705&dpr=0.9#rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=antique+coffee+grinder+folding+handle&imgdii=_

Why should I need to google images of something that I am familiar with?

Another obvious one

The winding arbours would have to protrude so far out of the dial for the key to locate they would foul the hands.

On a turret clock of which I have seen literally hundreds in my 40 years in the trade, a bending key would be dangerous

Bored with this now.........just admit you had no idea what it was !