Suitcase generator

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Quick question for anyone that knows..... If i buy a suitcase generator, and plug it into the shoreline connection on the back of the boat, does it mean that electrics are bypassed through the inverter like when you are on shoreline?

For example I hve a 1900w washing machine which i cannot use when not on shoreline as my inverter is only 1600w and quasi sine wave. I don't want to get a new mastervolt or sterling inverter as i just don't have the funds, but if i got , say, a 2200w suitcase generator, should i be able to run my washing machine on it?

Hi guys

Quick question for anyone that knows..... If i buy a suitcase generator, and plug it into the shoreline connection on the back of the boat, does it mean that electrics are bypassed through the inverter like when you are on shoreline?

For example I hve a 1900w washing machine which i cannot use when not on shoreline as my inverter is only 1600w and quasi sine wave. I don't want to get a new mastervolt or sterling inverter as i just don't have the funds, but if i got , say, a 2200w suitcase generator, should i be able to run my washing machine on it?

Yes the generator AC supply will pass through the Combi (charger/inverter) just as with shore power and the inverter part will be off.

If the suitcase generator uses inverter (inverter/generator) technology then it should produce a clean enough waveform to satisfy your washing machine which are notoriously picky about such. Remember though that the charger part of your Combi will also be running and taking some of the power to charge batteries, unless you can turn it off or reduce its power draw. It may be worth ensuring that batteries are fully charged therefore before running washing machine.

Hi guys

Yup - providing the generator will provide a pure sine wave current, (dependent upon the start-up draw of your washing machine, you may find that you need a 3Kw gennie)

Hi guys

Just my thoughts....

Is the proposed generator 2.2KVA or 2200watts? There is a big difference! If it is 2200watts then the true output is likely to be around 1750watts.

Do you have an inverter or inverter/charger? If it is an inverter just make sure it is turned off or bypassed when running the generator.

The biggest consumer of electricity in our washing machine is the water heater. So we always do a cold wash, which uses much less power.

Just my thoughts....

Is the proposed generator 2.2KVA or 2200watts? There is a big difference! If it is 2200watts then the true output is likely to be around 1750watts.

Do you have an inverter or inverter/charger? If it is an inverter just make sure it is turned off or bypassed when running the generator.

The biggest consumer of electricity in our washing machine is the water heater. So we always do a cold wash, which uses much less power.

If its 2.2 kVA it will be less still! - continuous output power in watts is what the OP should be looking at.

Edited by by'eck

Hi

Thanks for the responses. I can confirm it is 2200watts and not kVA. Im hoping that if the 1900w rating in my washing machine is the maximum wattage, ie , when on a boil wash(?) then the 2200w generator should cover it bearing in mind I usually wash at 40c.

The machine is a Zanussi fc1200 with the dial to select temperature (quite an old model)

ETA- it is an inverter / charger - a sterling pro combi Q

Edited by lewisericeric

If a cold wash is possible, the WM would be quite frugal off a PSW inverter, some do the kettle trick too.

I'm surprised at the cost/hassle/lengths people seem willing to go to for a slightly warmer wash! For super dirty clothes why not do a double main wash, or take to a service wash place.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Hi

Thanks for the responses. I can confirm it is 2200watts and not kVA. Im hoping that if the 1900w rating in my washing machine is the maximum wattage, ie , when on a boil wash(?) then the 2200w generator should cover it bearing in mind I usually wash at 40c.

The machine is a Zanussi fc1200 with the dial to select temperature (quite an old model)

ETA- it is an inverter / charger - a sterling pro combi Q

It does not matter what temperature you wash at, 40 or 'boil', it will still use its maximum wattage, just for a shorter time on 40 than on 'boil' wink.png

Edit: double quote.

cheap-ish generator

I doubt that exists as the one you need is fairly large and it will need to be a pure sine wave type.

Edited by bottle

40c is my absolute minimim! None of this "washing at 30" cr@p!

There ya go! Q.E.D :rolleyes:

Is currently not working off my quasi inverter which is why its either a brand new inverter (something i cant afford right now) or a cheap-ish generator

Cheap 1000W PSW go from around £100-150, Theo bought one a while back for just that purpose.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Ok keith

Thanks for that. Would a 2200w generator be ok theN? Whats the consensus? It is pure sine wave too

It could be marginal especially when you take into account my comments regarding charger running as well, which cannot be turned off on your Sterling Combi.

It would help if the 2200 watt generator output was a continuous rating.

I don't know what the generator costs but I purchased a new 3000W PSW (6000W peak) Inverter from these guys recently and I'm very pleased with it.

Total cost including shipping and duty £425.00, it took a week to arrive shipped directly from Tiawan. We do not have a washing machine but it can run the wife's hair dryer 2000W at full wack even when the fridge and TV are on without needing to run the engine. The old Sterling one also a 3000 PSW couldn't manage to run the hair dryer on its own with the engine running and everything else turned off. Big difference in the amount of power left in the batteries next morning as well, so it doesn't consume much on idle.

No connection with the company just a happy user.

http://www.marc-ting.com

Ken

Yes the generator AC supply will pass through the Combi (charger/inverter) just as with shore power and the inverter part will be off.

If the suitcase generator uses inverter (inverter/generator) technology then it should produce a clean enough waveform to satisfy your washing machine which are notoriously picky about such. Remember though that the charger part of your Combi will also be running and taking some of the power to charge batteries, unless you can turn it off or reduce its power draw. It may be worth ensuring that batteries are fully charged therefore before running washing machine.

If the OP has a combi like a Victron then the charge rate will adapt to the power available, can also provide extra power (from the batteries) if the genny or shoreline if needed.

If its any help my honda eu20i runs our full size washer on 40c .revs up a bit while warming water then its hardly above tickover thru the rest of the cycles leaving spare capacity for other power hungry stuff

Not really because as before if it will run it at 40 it will run it at any other temperature.

It is all down to the output of the generator ( stated in watts continuous and surge) and the load applied Washing machine (max wattage)

So for a washing machine of stated wattage the generator must be able to supply that wattage continuously.

The heater will be on for sometime, longer than the generator can supply its surge capability.

The Honda e20i is 2,000 watts surge and 1,600 watts continuous.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these

5kva pure sine wave electric start silent diesel for £345

950mm x 560mm x 760mm (37.4" x 22" x 30" in real money) Rated 4.6kW continuous (with power factor of 1 so probably more like around continuous of 3.7kW if you want to be nice to it.) 230V 50hz @ 1500 rpm. + £10 to make it 3 phase.

I requested shipping cost just this morning and asked about shipping to UK too so I'll update when I know shipping cost, if anyone is interested.

I have no financial interest in this company, just passing along the info. I'm probably going to order one for home to see if it's good enough to put in a barge.

I'm thinking of ordering one of these

5kva pure sine wave electric start silent diesel for £345

950mm x 560mm x 760mm (37.4" x 22" x 30" in real money) Rated 4.6kW continuous (with power factor of 1 so probably more like around continuous of 3.7kW if you want to be nice to it.) 230V 50hz @ 1500 rpm. + £10 to make it 3 phase.

I requested shipping cost just this morning and asked about shipping to UK too so I'll update when I know shipping cost, if anyone is interested.

I have no financial interest in this company, just passing along the info. I'm probably going to order one for home to see if it's good enough to put in a barge.

I'm sure it says 3000 rpm in the specs.

Bob

I'm sure it says 3000 rpm in the specs.

Bob

A quote from the email I received from the manufacturer.

There is spec sheet about halfway down the page I linked. I don't know why the big difference between 50hz and 60hz. Usually it's only a few hundred rpm. Maybe the use a completely different generator for European specs. UK is 50 hz, isn't it?

Hi Paul,
1) the generator output is pure sine wave.
2) Our single phase generator is 120v, so you can adjust voltage as120v or 230 for optional.
3) The RPM for 60hz is 3600rpm

4) It is availdbale in 50hz and the RPM is 1500rpm ,please check detail in the attachment.

Edited by Paul G2

Not really because as before if it will run it at 40 it will run it at any other temperature.

It is all down to the output of the generator ( stated in watts continuous and surge) and the load applied Washing machine (max wattage)

So for a washing machine of stated wattage the generator must be able to supply that wattage continuously.

The heater will be on for sometime, longer than the generator can supply its surge capability.

The Honda e20i is 2,000 watts surge and 1,600 watts continuous.