fall Ings - hooray!

John P

Featured Posts

Notice Details

"From Date: 3rd November 2014 at 08:00 To Date: 28th November 2014 at 17:00 inclusive Type:Navigation ClosureReason:MaintenanceDescription:

Both pairs of gates will be lifted out and improvement work will be undertaken to ease the operation of the gates.

The works will include new lightweight oak planking and improved flotation tanks to the bottom gates. Repairs to cills, paddles and gearing will also be undertaken.

These works will run concurrently with the Thornes lock stoppage to minimise disruption to users.

"

Great news! One of the hardest locks to operate in a region known for its hard locks, especially when single handed.

I like the idea of lightweight planking and flotation tanks.

Yes, Fall Ings can be hard, but at least I've always managed to do it by myself (so far). But there are a few other locks elsewhere where I've simply had to enlist help - one of the locks on the upper Lee required the services of a visiting US high school sports team, and I've broken 3 handspikes on Cromwell lock over the years, yet it's now quite OK (for the C&H!).

Let's hope Fall Ings is equally improved. The sheer size is a problem ,though.