Boating Guides are back

junior

Featured Posts

Did they ever disappear or is it just that the link was removed? I was looking at them two or three weeks ago to see if a recent change had been made, which it had.

There does seem to be a problem with bits of canal missing, even though the features alongside are shown.

Searching for boaters' guides on the CRT website shows nothing, so I'm not sure what is going on.

On the CRT Facebook page where I saw this they have said they are looking for a suitable place on the CRT website to put these, but in the mean time they are available through that link.

As for whether they have always been available, judging by the amount of complaints I've seen on here in the last 12 months I would guess that they were removed or deactivated. I expect they were kept and remained dormant somewhere rather than deleted altogether.

On the CRT Facebook page where I saw this they have said they are looking for a suitable place on the CRT website to put these, but in the mean time they are available through that link.

As for whether they have always been available, judging by the amount of complaints I've seen on here in the last 12 months I would guess that they were removed or deactivated. I expect they were kept and remained dormant somewhere rather than deleted altogether.

As far as in am concerned they were indeed removed or the link was which effectively is the same thing. They were superseded by the horrendous 'interactive' map which is next to useless for anybody hanging on the end of a slow and flakey internet connection.

Full marks to CRT for bringing these back.

I mentioned that bits of the canal are missing from downloads and I've now tried three browsers. Have a look at the BCN.

It used to work fine for me.

What is missing from the BCN one, a quick look and it seems to be all there to me.

What is missing from the BCN one, a quick look and it seems to be all there to me.

How strange. It works on my iPad, but most of the BCN is missing on my laptop, and so is a large chunk of the K&A. mad.gif

I did not have problems before.

Aha! To me as a newcomer these guides were legendary, as I'd heard much praise of them but never seen one.

They always sounded like a good idea to me, because while the day might arrive when fast broadband on boats is the norm and a good signal is available almost anywhere, for the time being at least having a downloadable guide is obvious common sense, and well done CRT for listening to people and seeing that.

As information on stoppages gradually changes, in an ideal world CRT would cater for a range of gadgets. At one extreme you have the printed guides such as Nicholson's for all the information that hardly ever changes and boaters who want to escape the modern world, then the next step is these guides, downloaded every so often to get the latest version.

Then, if the money is there to do the development, CRT or a third party using a data feed from them could provide apps for the common platforms (Apple, Android and Windows?) which automatically download and store the latest data when there is a good signal, so that it's available whenever and wherever needed. On a device with limited storage space, the app could always have an option to only keep local data. One way or another I predict this will come, because even if CRT don't want to spend anything on it, they can just provide a data feed and maybe charge a little for doing that to cover their costs, and before long some developers will write apps to use it, especially if EA and others follow the same standard format.

Having said all that, I would hope that most public-facing CRT staff and volunteers are aware of their local area's facilities and stoppages and willing to answer questions about them. There's a lot to be said for good old-fashioned conversation.

One of the criticisms of these guides was just how out of date they were. A glance at the one covering the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, for instance, shows no sign of the Liverpool Link which was opened in March 2009.

There are many criticisms surrounding the interactive guides – my biggest grouse would be regarding services/boater facilities which, although marked, rarely go into any detail as to what is actually available.

It is possible that there could be water, elsan disposal, rubbish disposal, toilets, showers, pump out, and maybe a laundry but rarely is that detail provided. So you could turn up wanting water, or somewhere to empty a cassette, only to find that this key facility is not on site.

Aha! To me as a newcomer these guides were legendary, as I'd heard much praise of them but never seen one.

They always sounded like a good idea to me, because while the day might arrive when fast broadband on boats is the norm and a good signal is available almost anywhere, for the time being at least having a downloadable guide is obvious common sense, and well done CRT for listening to people and seeing that.

As information on stoppages gradually changes, in an ideal world CRT would cater for a range of gadgets. At one extreme you have the printed guides such as Nicholson's for all the information that hardly ever changes and boaters who want to escape the modern world, then the next step is these guides, downloaded every so often to get the latest version.

Then, if the money is there to do the development, CRT or a third party using a data feed from them could provide apps for the common platforms (Apple, Android and Windows?) which automatically download and store the latest data when there is a good signal, so that it's available whenever and wherever needed. On a device with limited storage space, the app could always have an option to only keep local data. One way or another I predict this will come, because even if CRT don't want to spend anything on it, they can just provide a data feed and maybe charge a little for doing that to cover their costs, and before long some developers will write apps to use it, especially if EA and others follow the same standard format.

Having said all that, I would hope that most public-facing CRT staff and volunteers are aware of their local area's facilities and stoppages and willing to answer questions about them. There's a lot to be said for good old-fashioned conversation.

This perception surrounding the trusty Nicholson Guides is intriguing to say the least!

If true then I for one am delighted not to be a part of the 'modern world!!'

I've just had a look at the SSYN download and it is corrupted. It has stuff about the Chesterfield Canal, River Trent and A&C all mixed together on the pages.

The whizz kid in systems can do magic with his gizmos, but copy and paste seem to have defeated the kid.

I've just had a look at the SSYN download and it is corrupted. It has stuff about the Chesterfield Canal, River Trent and A&C all mixed together on the pages.

The whizz kid in systems can do magic with his gizmos, but copy and paste seem to have defeated the kid.

I think you completely misunderstand how these guides work.

They include useful information about adjacent waterways, intentionally.

Downloaded the full load of canal maps before someone decides to remove them again. boat.gif

Nothing changes very much so they should stay in date for quite a while, and can always update as and when if the do survive.

Oh I don't know......

Based on recent experience, a lot of visitor moorings listed in the guides as 14 day stay times are probably already reduced to just 2 days!

Oh I don't know......

Based on recent experience, a lot of visitor moorings listed in the guides as 14 day stay times are probably already reduced to just 2 days!

I do appreciate the limitations of these guides Alan, and I wonder if someone is taking corrections from any boater who see's an error??

for example, Anglo Welsh is shown as still operating at New Mills on the New Forest, with slipway Water,

Elsan disposal, pump-out, toilet, refuse disposal. Boatyard/chandlery facilities. Anglo Welsh left there 2 years ago and the only facility for passing boaters is Pump Out (although this should change soon as Pride Water Estates have now taken over and are refurbishing the site)

• 1 month later...

Aha! .....

I use this:-

e-canal mapp - android app. Uses gps.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=e-canal&c=apps

Works a treat on both my Galaxy S5 and Note Pro tablet

Quite good on detail - early days yet - only download app and updates when you are on a wireless network to save data charges

(I assume also available on other platforms)

Alister

edited to comment about data charges

Edited by 5thHorseman