Pitta Pizzas

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

These are dead easy to make and cheap as well.

Take wholemeal pitta breads and spread tomato puree on them. Add a sprinkling of mixed herbs and some grated cheese. Finally top with chopped cooked chicken, we used some left overs from Monday nights roast chicken and add a handful of sweet corn.

Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes.

You can of course use pretty much whatever topping you like on these.

10600463_806988989353744_285967207881924

French sticks and baguettes are good bases too used to do them as pizzas in my shop in Louth .

Now that's a canal that doesn't get shown on many waterways maps.

Edited by b0atman

Whats the trick to successfully open a pitta bread ?

You need to sprinkle it with water, stick it under a hot grill or in a hot oven for 2 or 3 mins until it crisps up a bit, then stab it along the edge with a sharp knife prior to being burned with steam as you 'fillet it' openbiggrin.png

Incidentally..... a low carb pizza alternative using cauliflower ( no kidding)

Slice down a cauli as if you were slicing down through a brain from top to bottom. Slices need to be about a centimetre thick.

Brush with oil salt and pepper and whack in a hot oven ( 200) for about 20 minutes.

Burnt bits on the edge taste great!

Lay some sliced tomatoes and some smoked cheddar cheese on top of each slice then whack back in the oven for 5 mins or until cheese is melted.

Sprinkle with basil or parsley and scoff....

Delish!biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

Whats the trick to successfully open a pitta bread ?

In a toaster- low heat, until its warm but not started to crisp and then cut open along the length of one side about 1cm in from the edge. I had a misplaced youth, working in a kebab house whilst at Uni.

• 8 months later...

Not had these for ages, so I made some last night.

Very nice for a quick evening meal. This time I put onion, mushroom, chilli, sweet corn and pepper on them with some mature cheddar.

11059595_954226801296628_859396715421147

Edited by Naughty Cal

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 20 August 2014 at 08:14, Naughty Cal said:

These are dead easy to make and cheap as well.

Take wholemeal pitta breads and spread tomato puree on them. Add a sprinkling of mixed herbs and some grated cheese. Finally top with chopped cooked chicken, we used some left overs from Monday nights roast chicken and add a handful of sweet corn.

Bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 minutes.

You can of course use pretty much whatever topping you like on these.

10600463_806988989353744_285967207881924

The same can be achieved with a nice garlic and coriander naan bread

There are little folded flatbreads which are great, more like pizza dough than pitta bread, which to me is allus like . pitta bread.

I made my own dough, it was fine, i spread it with pasta sauce and oregano,  [on offer in in morrison's this week] slow fried onions a bit of garlic and a wild mushroom, popped in oven with a scraping of hard italian cheese [keeps for months] 10 mns.

Edited by LadyG

We have not made these for a long while. We have taken to making a yoghurt dough pizza base instead which we enjoy more. Base is simple 1 small carton of 0% fat natural yoghurt and twice the amount of wholemeal plain flour.

This was last nights effort topped with mixed seafood (squid, king prawns and mussels), onion, mushroom, sweet corn, pepper, chilli and reduced fat mature cheddar.

23213363_1671707342881900_30607280252288