Invisible Boaters?

dave moore

Featured Posts

Hi all

I recently did a lettering job at Fazeley, the owner is a long term boater whose father used to be a lock keeper years ago. I did the job outside the Marina as the towpath was lower than the pontoons, as an official old fogey these days my back is quicker to complain if I mistreat it by bending.

A couple of passing boats at a brisker than necessary pace brought out the usual chat about how things have changed over time, the sort of stuff you'd expect from the old farts brigade.

In the course of the conversation, the customer observed that good boaters are the ones you don't notice- they work quietly, efficiently and effectively, passing slowly and manoeuvring with minimum fuss and engine revs. I agreed completely, though I've never actually defined it in those terms before.

Your thoughts?

Dave

Our son shared a lock flight recently with a hire boat. The crew went about their boating in a calm and efficient way as you describe. His suspicions that they were a retired boating couple from working days was confirmed when they dutifully mopped down their hire boat when they tied up for the night.

Hi all

I recently did a lettering job at Fazeley, the owner is a long term boater whose father used to be a lock keeper years ago. I did the job outside the Marina as the towpath was lower than the pontoons, as an official old fogey these days my back is quicker to complain if I mistreat it by bending.

A couple of passing boats at a brisker than necessary pace brought out the usual chat about how things have changed over time, the sort of stuff you'd expect from the old farts brigade.

In the course of the conversation, the customer observed that good boaters are the ones you don't notice- they work quietly, efficiently and effectively, passing slowly and manoeuvring with minimum fuss and engine revs. I agreed completely, though I've never actually defined it in those terms before.

Your thoughts?

Dave

Definitely agree. Signs of poor boatmanship are as you say, lots of engine revs and prop froth when manoeuvring.

Also lots of running around, shouting and wild gesticulation at locks, including a need for walkie talkies (contentious!). Competent folk just quietly and efficiently get on with it - why the need for verbal communication when you know what you are doing?

But also common courtesy. Folk who have been boating for a long time and know what they are doing are relaxed and thus have time for common courtesy, which is noticed only when absent. Those who don't, get easily stressed and this "leaks out" in their demeanour..

I'd agree to some extent, but the theory doesn't take account of "helpful boaters" - those who shuffle up to let you in a mooring space, or who lend a crew member to help a weaker crew through a flight - who you certainly do notice.

Actually, at the risk of sounding like an "old fart", that is one thing that's changed over the last 20 years - people have become less helpful. Previously it was de rigeur to walk up to the lock and lend a hand. Nowadays it's common for people just to sit in their boat and wait their turn, even if the crew currently locking through ahead of you are clearly struggling.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

But when the crew of ex-working boats behave like this, shiny boaters describe them as 'aloof'.

But when the crew of ex-working boats behave like this, shiny boaters describe them as 'aloof'.

Incorrect. SBs describe HB drivers as aloof when they refuse to look at or respond a hearty hail from the former. In other words, when the HBers regard the SBers as invisible.

interestingly, go onto the continent and you'll see boaters, particularly the dutch using plenty of revs when manoevering,

Yes but they are an impatient race and anyway you are talking about a different type of boat on a different type of waterway. A good reason for not using lots of revs on our waterways is that they are typically shallow and you are near the bank. Lots of revs can churn up all the junk from the bottom and maybe even damage the bank - just a bit, but over time it builds up. Anyway, it is in general unnecessary. A bit like shouting at somebody when they are within range to hear your normal talking voice. Unseemly!

When I am winding or manoeuvring I rarely go much above tickover. More revs just gives more splashing, maybe water up the rudder tube but barely quickens the manoeuvre and what for? Maybe to save 5 seconds?

More revs just gives more splashing, maybe water up the rudder tube but barely quickens the manoeuvre and what for? Maybe to save 5 seconds?

Surely the point of it is to show off what a powerful engine you have and how angry you are that the boat won't do what you want it to do!

MtB

Surely the point of it is to show off what a powerful engine you have and how angry you are that the boat won't do what you want it to do!

MtB

In your case, possibly! In my case I want to show off how calm and effortless it is when you know what you are doing and have a good-handling boat.

I reserve showing off how powerful my engine is, for my Hayabusa.

Edited by nicknorman

In your case, possibly! In my case I want to show off how calm and effortless it is when you know what you are doing and have a good-handling boat.

I reserve showing off how powerful my engine is, for my Hayabusa.

Or to not draw attention to the fact that you have run aground.........again...

Or to not draw attention to the fact that you have run aground.........again...

Let's be clear, I have only run aground 3 times recently. Twice was because supposedly experienced boaters (one an HB owner!) didn't realise that draining a second lockful out of a very short pound, with a boat ahead already in it, before the one above was drained, would significantly drop the pound level (and not of course help them through the flight any quicker). The third case was definitely over exuberance by me trying to get Jeff ashore in a bad place, and on that occasion don't worry I tried plenty of revs but to no avail!

Yes but they are an impatient race

Really? The Dutch?

My brother has lived there for years. His wife is Dutch, I've always found them a very laid back and tolerant bunch when I've been there. Whether they are on the road, or the water, the only rule is...... Cyclists have right of way.

Yes but they are an impatient race and anyway you are talking about a different type of boat on a different type of waterway. A good reason for not using lots of revs on our waterways is that they are typically shallow and you are near the bank. Lots of revs can churn up all the junk from the bottom and maybe even damage the bank - just a bit, but over time it builds up. Anyway, it is in general unnecessary. A bit like shouting at somebody when they are within range to hear your normal talking voice. Unseemly!

When I am winding or manoeuvring I rarely go much above tickover. More revs just gives more splashing, maybe water up the rudder tube but barely quickens the manoeuvre and what for? Maybe to save 5 seconds?

Plus of course, if you stick to minimum possible RPM when running yourself aground, it will be easier for the boat that rescues you to pull you off the shallows, because you will not be as firmly stuck as had you grounded yourself at a higher engine speed! laugh.png

Edited by alan_fincher

Plus of course, if you stick to minimum possible RPM when running yourself aground, it will be easier for the boat that rescues you to pull you off the shallows, because you will not be as firmly stuck as had you grounded yourself at a higher engine speed! :lol:

Normally true, except during competitions!

A bit like a wicketkeeper.

If the commentator never has cause to mention them; they have invariably done a good job.

Except, of course, the wicket keeper is often (and should be) the gobbiest playe on the pitch keeping everyone else geed up.