Beginners Bad Luck or a life of pain?

JohnnyHop

Featured Posts

Four 'trips' into my cruising career and I'm not sure if a caravan would have been a better idea.

Trip 1 was a two-mile shuttle between the marina my new boat (plastic cruiser) was moored and its new-home marina. We negotiated a lock and moored perfectly. so far so good.

I then realised I was moored in someone else's space, hence 'trip' 2, and after a LOT of fannying around I moved the five spaces further down to my own slot

So, after a long winter I went out for the first 'proper' cruise - trip 3. Four miles up river, four miles back, all well apart from the inconvenience that the 'experienced hand' on board got drunk as was no use at all. However, coming in I again had problems, and bumped into the boat next door (gently but I cant pretend it didn't happen)

Last weekend, all I wanted to do was turn the boat round, but got caught in what I thought was a negligible breeze and was pretty helpless as I drifted across the marina and bumped into two NB's - who's owners incidentally were very friendly, why can't road users be like that - and eventually managed to recover to my mooring, more by luck than good judgement. Meanwhile smaller plastics and many NB's glided past as if on rails

I have reflected and come to the following conclusions; either

1. I'm a rubbish boater

2. My boat (30 foot widebeam fibreglass cruiser with two V6 inboards) is either unsuitable full stop or unsuitable for an inexperienced boater

3. I'm just inexperienced and need more saddle time

4. My mooring is in an unsuitable place for an inexperienced boater (it requires a sharp 90 degree entry and exit, and the wind is behind me as I exit)

I'm addressing the last one by asking to move to a more 'open' mooring and I'm taking the advice of one of the guys I bumped into to only go out in very calm conditions, but despite my natural confidence in all things, I'm starting to wonder even after this short time if I've done the right thing/things

Any advice?

Just keep at it. You will soon get the hang of it, it is nowhere as difficult as it might seem. Most narrowboaters don't get too upset because of a slight bump or nudge because they had to learn as well.

A narrowboat at slow speed in windy conditions can be a handful, but mostly you learn to cope, not all of us and not always, but you will slowly pick it up. Probably a lot quicker than you think at the moment.

It's a hard life, this boating. Cruising along, looking at the scenery and being so jealous of the vast majority sitting in traffic jams, at traffic lights or whatever delights car driving can bring.

Despite those who advocate "learn by experience", have you considered some professional instruction?

http://www.rya.org.uk/coursestraining/courses/inland/Pages/InlandWaterways.aspx

It is early days, stick at it.

That's a consideration, after the 'expert' instruction turned into a gin-soaked disaster (I think I learned a lesson there though, I assumed because I was taking it seriously everyone would)

Manoeuvring in a marina with tight turns is not the best or most confidence inspiring way of starting boating.

Could you see if someone more experienced could help you take her out on to the river, to a nice wide straight bit and then you can just have a play and see how she handles and responds to the controls.

When we have friends on our boat I never give them the tiller for the first time while we are moving off or passing moored boats, that just scares them and doesn't help at all, but let them try on a straight bit and they (well most of them) soon learn to steer well.

I really don't think you have had enough experience of moving her to decide you're a rubbish boater. Get out and have a good long play and you'll either be completely fine, or you'll know the boat is not for you.

Good luck.

Sue

Also, in view of your last experience don't take any alcohol!!!

That's a consideration, after the 'expert' instruction turned into a gin-soaked disaster (I think I learned a lesson there though, I assumed because I was taking it seriously everyone would)

A worthwhile tip is to make sure that there is never any alcohol consumed whilst the boat is, or is due to be, driven.

And I too would suggest that a training session, on your own boat, by a RYA instructor will set you on the right path, and give you the correct level of confidence to progress your experience safely.

A worthwhile tip is to make sure that there is never any alcohol consumed whilst the boat is, or is due to be, driven.

Hear hear. No one loves a few pints of ale more than I do, but I never touch a drop until the boat is moored up at the end of the day.

2. My boat (30 foot widebeam fibreglass cruiser with two V6 inboards)

I'm a bit puzzled about this. The term 'widebeam' generally means a steel narrowboat, built wider than the correct width of 6ft 10in.

A cruiser with twin V6 engines is, as Alan says, probably about the most maneuverable format of boat one can get! But it takes a bit of imagination to think about the effects on the movements of the boat caused by the two engines run at different speeds, or one in ahead and one in astern.

I think paying for a boat-handling lesson would give you the legendary lightbulb moment and all would be well after...

MtB

(I thought I smelled Donuts for a moment then !)

Most of us get it wrong from time to time,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/johnqs5xuwivpid/IMAG0234.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9rbagi1qen37ge/IMAG0235.jpg

That was er my fault, & happend a month or two back,

But it's all fixable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37r0j5kz9gm5h1w/IMAG0247.jpg

(BTW, I've been a livaboard & Cruising for close on 28 years, blush.png, & I'm still a crap Helmsman )

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I'd agree with what has already been said. But I don't think many of us on here can speak from experience of handling a boat with twin V6 diesels. It does sound a bit of a handful in inexperienced hands!

We did have twin Volvo straight 6's (200hp each)

A "pussy" to handle, catches the wind but had a V hull, draws around 1 metre, so no problem steering into, across, or down wind

Has the power to get out of trouble, go against any flow or tide.

Can run on one engine at tickover - 3mph

If it wasn't for frightening SWMBO crossing the Irish Sea (waves over the fly-bridge) we would still have it.

We now have adjusted to 'muddy ditches' and 'sewer tubes' and enjoy them but there is no comparison to Tupperware doing 25 knts down Gare Lock (Faslane) and being chased by Commados in rubber boats pointing sub-machine guns at you, when they think you are terrorists going to attack the submarines.

Just stick with it and follow the advice already given, get out and pracice, practice, practice. Twin engines give you the most manouverable boat you can get.once you get the hang of it you will be turning extremely tight cicles, spinning round on your own axis and reversing out from really tight spaces.

Phil

As others have said practice makes perfect but some good instruction would help you to start practising correctly.

Watched a twin engined cruiser the other day and the 'steerer' did not bother with the wheel just manoeuvred the boat with the twin engine controls.

I'm a bit puzzled about this. The term 'widebeam' generally means a steel narrowboat, built wider than the correct width of 6ft 10in.

A cruiser with twin V6 engines is, as Alan says, probably about the most maneuverable format of boat one can get! But it takes a bit of imagination to think about the effects on the movements of the boat caused by the two engines run at different speeds, or one in ahead and one in astern.

I think paying for a boat-handling lesson would give you the legendary lightbulb moment and all would be well after...

MtB

I'll be more specific, it's a Cruisers International 267, 10 foot beam as opposed to most cruisers' 6 to 7 feet. And it sits soooo high. On sunday it sat calmly in the water but I was fooled by the fact I was in the shelter of an even bigger flybridge cruiser, as soon as I moved out of its protection the wind got me. Another lesson learned.

MtB

Now, you know I can't just let that comment pass quietly argue.gifCorrect width????

I think Mike, you'll find our 10ft 10 is the perfect width - "once you go wide, there's no going back to the other side" tongue.png

To the OP...don't give up after 4 tries. Hubby and I moved on board our rather wide metal tube and neither of us had a clue what to do with the pointy end, never mind the engine. A couple of very kind forum members took us out one day and showed us some of the basics. After that, we'd take her out once a week for a couple of days, practicing skew wiffy bridges, passing moored boats, passing moving boats, mooring and all the other fun stuff. Then after 5 months, hubby went and did the helmsman course, the next day he taught me how to do locks, 4 days after that we set off on a 5 month trip (we are now almost a month into it) and Loving every minute of it. It hasn't been without issues, we've managed to ripe off 3 of our 4 fenders, snapped a fan belt, one fairly large scrap down one side and a ripe in our cratch cover. But, we haven't damaged any other boats and are throughly enjoying ourselves. We appreciate that each day that passes we are getting a bit better. So don't give up, take her out and practice, do one of the helmsman courses revelant to your boat and enjoy yourself.

Every time some old git looks at you like your doing it wrong, just give him a wave and tell him to have a wonderful day biggrin.png and remind yourself he wasn't born with a tiller in his hand and at one point was new to all this as well.

It hasn't been without issues, we've managed to ripe off 3 of our 4 fenders, snapped a fan belt, one fairly large scrap down one side and a ripe in our cratch cover.

Probably none of that would have happened if your boat had been the correct width for the canal :D

ninja.gif

MtB

We did have twin Volvo straight 6's (200hp each)

A "pussy" to handle, catches the wind but had a V hull, draws around 1 metre, so no problem steering into, across, or down wind

Has the power to get out of trouble, go against any flow or tide.

Can run on one engine at tickover - 3mph

If it wasn't for frightening SWMBO crossing the Irish Sea (waves over the fly-bridge) we would still have it.

We now have adjusted to 'muddy ditches' and 'sewer tubes' and enjoy them but there is no comparison to Tupperware doing 25 knts down Gare Lock (Faslane) and being chased by Commados in rubber boats pointing sub-machine guns at you, when they think you are terrorists going to attack the submarines.

I bought a powerful twin engined boat because I didn't fancy losing a motor and drifting over a weir. I think I've identified a couple of mechanical improvements that will help me too. Loads of power yes, but its being delivered a bit like a switch rather than progressively, I guess the throttle mechanisms need some attention. My car experience will let me sort that. The other problem I noticed this eve is that I think one of the trim tabs is stuck in the down position which is making the boat turn left in reverse no matter what else I do.

Its all a big learning curve...

I bought a powerful twin engined boat because I didn't fancy losing a motor and drifting over a weir. I think I've identified a couple of mechanical improvements that will help me too. Loads of power yes, but its being delivered a bit like a switch rather than progressively, I guess the throttle mechanisms need some attention. My car experience will let me sort that. The other problem I noticed this eve is that I think one of the trim tabs is stuck in the down position which is making the boat turn left in reverse no matter what else I do.

Its all a big learning curve...

Put the starboard engine in ahead. That will definitely stop it turning left in astern whatever the trim tabs are doing!

And yes. The engine power should feed in gently and progressively as you push the Teleflex levers further forward. Or back.

Sounds to me as though the the boat is the problem, not you.

MtB

Put the starboard engine in ahead. That will definitely stop it turning left in astern whatever the trim tabs are doing!

And yes. The engine power should feed in gently and progressively as you push the Teleflex levers further forward. Or back.

Sounds to me as though the the boat is the problem, not you.

MtB

Yes, this sounds about right- if there's a lot of power being suddenly applied, you can go from calmly in control to "OH @@@@!" Very quickly indeed.

More saddle time.

More the merrier. (sans alcohol!)

Just remember the rule.....The biggest foul ups will be witnessed by the biggest crowd. Perfection goes unseen.

Stick with it, the proper helmsman course will greatly help, both with your skill, and knowing what to expect from the boat.

Bod