Huffin' and Puffin'

Pen n Ink

Featured Posts

Just had a look at your blog, I take it you plan to put the generator in the engine room which is why it is so long. Your cooking loo, will that run off your inverter? Did you know that Albion had a Gardner and coupled a generator to it?

Would be annoying to have to run a generator whenever you need to process your used food. Incinerator bogs will use a lot of power so a good inverter and well charged batteries is essential. Also you need a supply of little bags as I understand it. Will be interesting to hear the outcome of that :)

This shows the advantage of a slow-burn build schedule!

I didn't know Albion had a generator running from the Gardner; I'm currently looking at using a PRM150 which does have a hydraulic PTO capability, but when I looked into it the PTO runs at 1:1 and therefore trying to find a pump which will generate enough oomph to power a generator of any size seemed unlikely to succeed. Someone please correct me! The engine room is currently long because - um. The engine room is currently that long! I have half an idea of using the engine room to store all of the mechanic-y type bits and pieces we will be carting around and possibly (hidden away) stuff like washing machine if we can make it work.

I currently have in my head a system involving a lot of batteries, a BIG inverter/charge system, and a generator clever enough to know when the batteries are getting low - and attached to a timer as well. Trouble is, being the rank amateur that I am (I've only ever built houses and small fibreglass boats apart from joinery) I'm not nearly clever enough to plan the electrics myself. I often find that I come up with the bright ideas and when I get to the expert they just stand there looking bemused, shake their heads and then eventually say something like "well - you don't do that...." but when pressed they can't tell me why other than "well - you just don't do that!"

For example, I'm planning on an electrical hookup between the two boats (but that may be wiped out by someone that knows better) and also a heating hookup. If we're having a range cooker / boiler on the butty which would be more than capable of powering enough radiators, then why can we not have water pipes connecting the two boats - something like insulated hydraulic pipes - to allow radiators to be run on both boats? Heritage in Liskeard just down the road from us have told us that someone has already done this - I'd love to find out who and whether it worked. I'm also planning to have an interconnect system for the water tanks so that we can move water from boat to boat if necessary. These boats are being designed as a pair specifically to work in harmony.

All this means that I'm presently going through trying to come up withy a list of 'leccy type things that I want to cover off so that I can then find a suitable expert to (say it quietly) pay to come up with the DIY instruction book. Onboard Energy have come recommended previously, but any other suggestions always welcome.

As far as the hot-seat goes (Small-but-Fierce not yet completely convinced - says she doesn't want flames erupting at awkward moments!) current plan is a visit to Crick at some point in the near future to visit Hillmorton Wharf to find out from the horses mouth... They do indeed use bags as I understand it. This will definitely be one of the more ... err ... interesting areas of research.

This shows the advantage of a slow-burn build schedule!

I didn't know Albion had a generator running from the Gardner; I'm currently looking at using a PRM150 which does have a hydraulic PTO capability, but when I looked into it the PTO runs at 1:1 and therefore trying to find a pump which will generate enough oomph to power a generator of any size seemed unlikely to succeed. Someone please correct me! The engine room is currently long because - um. The engine room is currently that long! I have half an idea of using the engine room to store all of the mechanic-y type bits and pieces we will be carting around and possibly (hidden away) stuff like washing machine if we can make it work.

snip

I saw a nice arrangement on a narrow boat once where they had the washing machine built into the engine room with an access door through the bulkhead/partition into the living area. That way you can load and unload from a clean area but the bulk of the machine is in the workshop area. I think they had a workbench over it the other side so it was quite efficient use of space and struck me as a Good Idea.

:)

I was referring to" Albion" the member not Junior who has a boat called Albion.

Electric between boats shouldn't be a problem so long as you remember to disconnect before going separate ways. You can get self closing pipe connectors for the heating to make sure you dont have any spillage the same as hydraulic, but not sure what sort of flow restriction, the same for water, even "hoselock" do them.

Don't forget, all connections between boats will have to work, which ever side they are breasted up on, and one behind the other! This may include, motor behind butty.

Alot of complication, and expense. It may be better to keep things simple, both boats being mostly independant.

Bod

Another update..

Yesterday we put down our deposit for the building of the motor shell by Mel Davis.

As the happy owner of a boat which Mel crafted for us eight or nine years ago, I am delighted to learn of your choice. I hope that you will not regret it - we never have.

Mike

Don't forget, all connections between boats will have to work, which ever side they are breasted up on, and one behind the other! This may include, motor behind butty.

Alot of complication, and expense. It may be better to keep things simple, both boats being mostly independant.

Bod

Flexibility has been one of our guiding factors in getting the drawing board to the current stage! The extra cost of having connectors for electrics and water at all 4 corners of the boats seems to me too be minimal in relation to the benefits it would bring. As far as I can see it simply means effectively creating spurs off the relevant systems to front, back and both sides of each boat, and once you have one spur, then 3 more doesn't really make much difference.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong?

• 1 year later...

Huffin and Puffin were the names of two Puffins adopted by a boy called Philip, an animal and bird lover, whilst on an uninhabited island off Scotland in a book called ''The sea of adventure'' by Enid Blyton. I have a log memory.

n

Edited by bizzard

The only boat builder that ever finished a boat on time was Noah.

Were you there to lend him a helping hand, or were you too busy reading your Huffin n Puppin book ?

Thinking about it, that book wasn't published at the time I think, and Noah had to leave without it in his boats Library.

Peter.

Were you there to lend him a helping hand, or were you too busy reading your Huffin n Puppin book ?

Thinking about it, that book wasn't published at the time I think, and Noah had to leave without it in his boats Library.

Peter.

I doubt if Noah had heard of Enid Blyton, a bit after his time. We as kids might have thought he'd have known her though, as kids do, all adults seem ancient.