Cropredy Marina.

Southern Star

Featured Posts

Subject to survey I'm hoping to become the new owner of a 42' trad stern boat at the end of this month. It's currently moored in Cheshire and as I'm not going to be in a position to live aboard until July next year I'm planning on bringing it south to moor it nearer home until then.

I live in Kent but I want to moor it on the main network and I was thinking of Cropredy which seemed to be reasonably priced at £34.50 per foot as well as being close enough to travel to in a morning and so I'm wondering if anyone moors/ has moored there, and what their feedback is, or has some alternative suggestion for a good marina in the area?

Our boat used to be moored at Tattenhall Marina in Cheshire, but last autumn we moved it down to Cropredy Marina so that we could explore the south.

Cropredy works well for us, and is resonably priced ( about the same as Tattenhall ). Anywhere further south seems to be more and more expensive.

It is quite a nice cruise down from cheshire to Cropredy too.

I am in Cropredy marina it is ok, good location.

Come off M40 take Daventry road then take left turn Williamscot through Cropredy and you are there.

Still a few vacancies not many though, signs of a marina getting it right.

I too am there, but was under the impression that all of the berths were now reserved. You should call to check.

Thanks, I will call them tomorrow. It says on the website that they still have a few spaces available but I know that websites sometimes don't get updated quite as often as they might do. If they are full, then advice on other marinas in Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire would be appreciated.

We passed the marina last week - I was struck by the fact that every single boat (100+ I guess) was moored bow first to the marina edge (i e all back out from their pontoon when going out). Is this a marina rule?

Just wondered as we always back in to our home marina as do around half of the boats there

Mick

If a marina mooring is what you like, then cropredy is better than most I think.

However if you'd like to wake up and look out over fields, crows, swallows and vintage tractors rather than into the windows of the neighbouring boat 2ft away, then I'd suggest Greg's place at Clattercote Wharf, half a mile north.

Bear in mind he has space at the moment because his on line farm moorings are a shade more expensive than the marina though...

MtB

(Ooops, edit to add the missing word 'north'!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

MtB. In my opinion worth a teeny weeny bit more for mooring that is:

1 adjacent to a farm

2 is very quiet

3 in the country side

4 run by a seemingly honest, down to earth, relocated American organic farmer. He's not organic, but his pumpkins certainly are.

We were until recently moored there and have been for over seven years. I would recommend Forge Farm (Clattercote Wharf) whole heatedly.

Martyn

If a marina mooring is what you like, then cropredy is better than most I think.

However if you'd like to wake up and look out over fields, crows, swallows and vintage tractors rather than into the windows of the neighbouring boat 2ft away, then I'd suggest Greg's place at Clattercote Wharf, half a mile north.

Bear in mind he has space at the moment because his on line farm moorings are a shade more expensive than the marina though...

MtB

(Ooops, edit to add the missing word 'north'!)

Thanks Mike, I will take a look at Clattercote. It's more the geographical location that I'm interested in, the boat being more easily reachable in Bucks/Berks/Oxon etc than it would be in Cheshire.

I am also more of a sole dweller than a marina moorer, it must be said!

We passed the marina last week - I was struck by the fact that every single boat (100+ I guess) was moored bow first to the marina edge (i e all back out from their pontoon when going out). Is this a marina rule?

Just wondered as we always back in to our home marina as do around half of the boats there

Mick

It's a temporary measure to allow the grass / reeds to establish so they don't get destroyed by propwash.

Cropredy Marina is now full, I'm anchored up there and asked the chaps in charge a few weeks ago about a winter mooring for my buddy & his NB Penarrow, they informed me that they were full with no vacancies on the horizon, however, like all things the situation could change at short notice so it's worth giving them a buzz…if you do manage to get a berth it's very friendly & quite laid back.

Edited by Shockabilly

We made the move to Cropredy Marina last autimn from Nightwatch's reccomendation of Forge Farm, for mainly practical reasons.

Forge Farm was great and I would endorse Nightwatch's comments.

On the marina itself I have to say we have been very impressed so far. It has the advantage for us of easier toilet emptying arrangements, showers and the ability to stay on the boat overnight without mocing it. The team there are helpful and friendly, and having never moored in a marina previously having water and electricity on hand has made things like staying the weekend to give the boat a good clean much easier.

The walk to the village (specifically the Brasenose) is about 5-10 minutes and pretty level.

I sent Cropredy an email earlier and they have replied to say that they are full. I have made a few phone calls today and found marinas with places, Brinklow, Milton Keynes, although I am giving more and more consideration to winding up my business now rather than next June, sell my truck, car and everything else of any value, and CC'ing from the word go, which is what I had planned to do from next year anyway.

The boat had its survey today although it will be a week before I get the report, but if it is favourable then the temptation to just pack in the daily grind right now may become irresistible!

• Greenie 1

I sent Cropredy an email earlier and they have replied to say that they are full. I have made a few phone calls today and found marinas with places, Brinklow, Milton Keynes, although I am giving more and more consideration to winding up my business now rather than next June, sell my truck, car and everything else of any value, and CC'ing from the word go, which is what I had planned to do from next year anyway.

The boat had its survey today although it will be a week before I get the report, but if it is favourable then the temptation to just pack in the daily grind right now may become irresistible!

Have you looked at Braunston marina? I'm not sure what their prices are like and I'm not a marina person in the slightest But I do like Braunston as a destination/village. It just has something about it (Braunston in general, not the marina).

Cropredy's older sister, Crick Marina may be a choice as mentioned earlier. A short (5 mins?) Drive from the M1 near DIRFT.

A nice spot on the GU Leicester line on a fairly long lock free section between Watford and Foxton.

Cropredy Marina is now full, I'm anchored up there and asked the chaps in charge a few weeks ago about a winter mooring for my buddy & his NB Penarrow, they informed me that they were full with no vacancies on the horizon, however, like all things the situation could change at short notice so it's worth giving them a buzz…if you do manage to get a berth it's very friendly & quite laid back.

They arent, I removed a boat from there 3 weeks ago and that berth hasn't been filled yet, I also spoke to an on-site employee.

Marinas are very fluid, people sell boats and move them, brokerages sell boats all the time - ABNB has several boats moored at Cropredy for sale, if they all sell tommorow to people wantimg to moor elsewhere, there will be quite a few spare berths,