Staying put!

johnmck

Featured Posts

Schhh... The rain has abated and I can see a hint of blue sky here at Christleton. Pity we are booked into the pub for lunch! BUT...

Winds have already picked up across Cornwall, and a swathe of strengthening westerly winds will extend its way northeastwards across many other central and southern parts of England and Wales through today. Gusts of 40-50 mph are possible inland, perhaps as high as 60 mph in some exposed coastal locations.

The public should be aware of the potential for some minor disruption and difficult driving conditions given the unseasonably strong winds.Wind speeds will tend to moderate from the southwest later this afternoon and evening.

(From the BBC Weather Website)

Edited by johnmck

Just south of Banbury, plan was to stay put today given the warning, but the torrential rain lasted perhaps 3 hours earlier this morning. The rain has now stopped and the sky has brightened a bit. I think we will probably move a bit this afternoon, and there are plenty of boats moving now.

I spoke too soon, chucking it down again. May be going to stay put after all.

Huh, up at the crack of dawn to go to see classic bike racing at Donington, got most of the way there (M1) lashing down with rain, sky ever darkening, massive spray. Decided racing would almost certainly be cancelled & would probably drown watching it anyway so did a smart about turn. Ate packed lunch whilst cruising CWDF so day not entirely wasted but could have used the extra hours in bed!

Hope to have more success with televised MotoGp later.

HH

Heatings on in August!

Ok we could have just put on a jumper and some trousers but for the flick of a switch we may as well let the Webasto do some work.

Not had it on for a while so it won't do it any harm to run some fresh diesel through it!

Moored up for the day just above Oxclose lock at the southern end of the Ripon Canal, just before it joins the river. Has been persisting down all morning. Can the Ure rise above the Oxclose top gates if it floods badly?

I suppose in theory yes, the Ure could breach the canal either at the lock or more likely further up the canal if it rose sufficiently, I can't say I have heard of it ever happening though, but I am sure somebody will correct me if they know different.

The River Wey can (and does) flood very quickly. It might be worthwhile keeping an eye on this website I think - http://riverweyconditionsnt.wordpress.com - stoppages are pinned to the top and more tactical issues are slightly further down but they do keep it up-to-date. In fact I see Bowers Lock to Worsfold Gates is in flood as of 5 mins ago!

Thanks for the link. I have been keeping an eye on the site, but the warning came up after I last checked it.

Cheers.

Ken

Heating now off as it's glorious sunshine and the conservatory/cockpit is now too hot!

In the 20 minutes it has taken me to go and have a shower it's stopped raining, sun is out and the pontoons and canopies have all but dried out. Winds dropped substantially as well!

T storms creeping north east from Oxfordshire towards Milton Keynes- Bedford ect.

Was reading this at 2-30 when my wife looked out of the porthole and said there was a funnel cloud heading towards us, when Bang the boat heaved over, all the draws flew open and pots of plants launched themselves (narrowly missing me)

Everything in the garden went all over the place and when I wnt out to secure things all I could see were Crack Willow trees laying all over the place several boats had very near misses, tree down over the river and one road into the marina is also blocked. Oh and power has been off all day (yippee for solar) reckon it might be off till tomorrow.

Phil

Bad news, Phil. We are supposed to be bringing the boat back, post blacking, from Stretham Ferry Marina to Brandon Creek tomorrow (Monday). Is it a goer do you think? I have asked the Marina to keep me posted but total silence prevails thus far (hope they have not been washed away).

Here in Potter Heigham we have had some rain during the day (and overnight) but nothing like some have had. The forecast says things should start to quieten down here about now....

Colin

Edited by Traveller

Hi Colin, reckon you will be OK as the forcast for Monday is just cloudy with showers wind gusting to 34 kilometres an hour (what's that in old money) so strap our hat on and you should be fine, just remember the river may have a bit of fresh on it. (Posh boat now eh?)

Phil

Was reading this at 2-30 when my wife looked out of the porthole and said there was a funnel cloud heading towards us, when Bang the boat heaved over, all the draws flew open and pots of plants launched themselves (narrowly missing me)

Everything in the garden went all over the place and when I wnt out to secure things all I could see were Crack Willow trees laying all over the place several boats had very near misses, tree down over the river and one road into the marina is also blocked. Oh and power has been off all day (yippee for solar) reckon it might be off till tomorrow.

Phil

My word Sir Phil,

Is all cleared up aboard now, Are the Ferrets accounted for ?.

Hi Colin, reckon you will be OK as the forcast for Monday is just cloudy with showers wind gusting to 34 kilometres an hour (what's that in old money) so strap our hat on and you should be fine, just remember the river may have a bit of fresh on it. (Posh boat now eh?)

Phil

Thanks Phil. Poshish I think is the term. She now has (hopefully) a nice black hull and a fresh coat of paint on the roof. More to do but, yes, she at least looks cared for now.

We experienced one of those funnel cloud things when we lived in Cheddar. It came down the side of the Mendips and down our road, whilst taking a few tiles off our roof. These were, in turn, deposited through our glass front door! Scary indeed.