Naming and shaming

Erie Canal

Featured Posts

I have been sad to see on a number of canal related websites the call to 'name and shame'.

When did we on the cut become judge, jury and executioner? Aren't we a tolerant people who in discussions with our fellow boaters establish facts and care for each other?

Anyone else noticed this and / or would care to comment?

• Greenie 2

What would that accomplish though? Everyone has off days, but if you're consistently bad to others, word will get around, as with the Reverend who ran Oak and Ash the hotel boats.

The problem is that there may well be more than one boat with the same name, and that boats do change hands- I wouldn't be surprised if some people were disheartened to see Oak and Ash, for example, not knowing they'd changed hands.

I have been sad to see on a number of canal related websites the call to 'name and shame'.

When did we on the cut become judge, jury and executioner? Aren't we a tolerant people who in discussions with our fellow boaters establish facts and care for each other?

I think you will find that in all walks of life. Be it wrong or right. Same as the football pundits that sit in the pub that think they are the font of all knowledge. and those that are experts without always having experience, back room lawyers and the like. We all have opinions and like to voice them.

If you're going to have a moan about a post on Facebook, then surely the place to do it is on the same facebook group it originates from? By starting a thread on here, you're effectively (not very though without a link) spreading the gossip even further.

I think I know what Erie Canal is getting at, it`s the tendancy for people to look for behaviour in other people to become outraged about and then acting like a lynch mob, it`s not just the cut, it`s everything from immigration and the unemployed to people who infringe licencing rules and regs etc. We have been taught to become a nation who cannot wait to grass on somebody else, it was how the old USSR kept tabs on people and we have been led down the same path., Kristallnacht anyone?

I think I know what Erie Canal is getting at, it`s the tendancy for people to look for behaviour in other people to become outraged about and then acting like a lynch mob, it`s not just the cut, it`s everything from immigration and the unemployed to people who infringe licencing rules and regs etc. We have been taught to become a nation who cannot wait to grass on somebody else, it was how the old USSR kept tabs on people and we have been led down the same path., Kristallnacht anyone?

I was going to post something similar but you put it so much nicer than I could :)

Are you on the same stuff as me tonight?

I seem to recall an MtB approval of this example of naming and shaming -

ApologyforswimmingatPreston_zpsf0e81140.

Of course, this was a voluntary scheme; name and shame yourselves, if you wish to avoid the prescribed penalties. That does put an entirely different complexion on it compared with fellow boaters shopping each other.

As an alternative to being hauled before the courts, I rather like the concept myself, and it would surely be even more effective in these days of widely disseminated information?

As for Bee's post, I quite agree. It is distinctly unpleasant being in such a society, which breaks down all trust and spontaneity. Syria was one of those countries where the concept was endemic and debilitating despite an otherwise warm and welcoming population.

How about we have our own thread where we can confess to our own misdemeanors and be publicly exonerated. I admit that I nicked someones lock once - by mistake as I thought he had exited it not realising he planned to reverse in. Should I flogg myself also?

I seem to recall an MtB approval of this example of naming and shaming -

ApologyforswimmingatPreston_zpsf0e81140.

Of course, this was a voluntary scheme; name and shame yourselves, if you wish to avoid the prescribed penalties. That does put an entirely different complexion on it compared with fellow boaters shopping each other.

As an alternative to being hauled before the courts, I rather like the concept myself, and it would surely be even more effective in these days of widely disseminated information?

As for Bee's post, I quite agree. It is distinctly unpleasant being in such a society, which breaks down all trust and spontaneity. Syria was one of those countries where the concept was endemic and debilitating despite an otherwise warm and welcoming population.

How about we have our own thread where we can confess to our own misdemeanors and be publicly exonerated. I admit that I nicked someones lock once - by mistake as I thought he had exited it not realising he planned to reverse in. Should I flogg myself also?

I too stole a lock once, in my early days and I didn't know better

Should I bare my arse underneath Lincoln's Stonebow and be birched for my sins?

How long have you got?

It could take a while rolleyes.gif

I think we should name and shame those boaters who constantly find something to moan about and want to name and shamesmile.png

Are they really whiter than white- and the whinge topics are so predictable- dont tell me:- A hirer going too fast, a CCer overstays, and so-on?

I've left a few FB groups because of the constant whingeing-If the canals and rivers are so terrible and so full of scroats- then sell your boat, but I suspect they would moan as much in bricks and mortar.

I did once start to re-fill a lock for the boat behind us- and part way through-saw a boat come towards the lock from around a bend- I genuinely did look first, didn't see them and apologised several times- but nothing would have avoided the tirade of abuse I received- Should I have been named and shamed for a genuine mistake that I apologised for?

There seems to be an increasing number of boaters buying boats who haven't been on a boat before and perhaps don't know some of the basics- perhaps patience and a helping hand, rather than a sharp tongue might help.

I don't agree with naming and shaming and I think some people wait for something to complain about. There was a boat on the Coventry last week- It had "Slow Down" stickers each side at each end, and on each side a poster saying "What part of SLOW don't you understand" I thought it was OTT and gave me the impression they were waiting to shout at someone for going too fast??. I've seen much nicer signs- eg:-if you slow down, you'll get a smile:)

Edited by Woodstock