TV Licence

Bikervet

Featured Posts

Hi all!!

Moving onto our widebeam is now imminent!!

House is sold and we plan to embark on this new venture at the beginning of next month. As I am an avid TV person, my question is how I go about sorting a TV licence on a boat? I assume I'll need one. If residential, I realise one gives the address, but what happens when one is a CCer?? Does anyone know how this works?

Look forward to hearing any answers on this subject!

Bikervet

Unfortunately, due to the state of towpath vegetation, TV licence detector vans;-) are currently unable to drive to your current mooring and catch you.

If I watched TV, I would probably think about getting one,however my TV and sat dish see about the same use as my land line.

Hi all!!

Moving onto our widebeam is now imminent!!

House is sold and we plan to embark on this new venture at the beginning of next month. As I am an avid TV person, my question is how I go about sorting a TV licence on a boat? I assume I'll need one. If residential, I realise one gives the address, but what happens when one is a CCer?? Does anyone know how this works?

Look forward to hearing any answers on this subject!

Bikervet

The bottom line is you are required to have one, however the chances of being caught without one are minuscule.

I don't CC but if I did I would get one on principal, as not to do so is unfair to those who stick to the letter of the law.

Have a wade through this lot and make your own decision.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64781&hl=%22tv+licence%22

I guess it looks like I'll need one. My c/o address has one but I guess that won't cover it from what I've read so far. Rather not risk it. Thanks guys.

Legally it would cover you. The stipulation used to be (and I think still is) that both televisions can't be on at the same time which is nigh on impossible to prove with one tv being on a boat. I stand to be corrected on that if the law has changed

I guess it looks like I'll need one. My c/o address has one but I guess that won't cover it from what I've read so far. Rather not risk it. Thanks guys.

Welcome to the first instance of many of being a square peg trying to fit society's round hole- you'll find similar issues with doctors and dentists, and many other places that want you to have a postcode- the reply "I don't have one" always completely flummoxes them!

Legally it would cover you. The stipulation used to be (and I think still is) that both televisions can't be on at the same time which is nigh on impossible to prove with one tv being on a boat. I stand to be corrected on that if the law has changed

Its not quite as simple as that, on a boat there is no stipulation they cannot be watched at the same time.

Technically using a co. address could be used as your 'main homes address' and you could possibly argue you are covered by this bit if you want to pretend you actually live there.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8

FTS has it right, somebody who actually lives whole time on their boat does not fit the neat 'tick box mentality' of lots of govt. depts. TV licencing included.

Has anyone ever seen a detector van or known anyone who drives one for a living? They don't exist in my opinion.

When i was doing my flat up i was sent a threatening letter because i had no licence. I had no TV but i was basically found guilty until i proved my innocents.

I think you would be ok ccing, whos checking on rivers or canals?

It is interesting to see so many folk effectively saying "don't bother, you'll never get caught". Presumably these same people are quite happy to advocate shoplifting and tax evasion if they think it can be got away with. A sad reflection on society that people seem at ease with publicly pronouncing their dishonesty. This mini-rant is not aimed at the OP, who seems to want to do the right thing and not be a scrounger.

• Greenie 2

Has anyone ever seen a detector van or known anyone who drives one for a living? They don't exist in my opinion.

When i was doing my flat up i was sent a threatening letter because i had no licence. I had no TV but i was basically found guilty until i proved my innocents.

I think you would be ok ccing, whos checking on rivers or canals?

They currently operate on the basis that every address in the UK has a TV and therefore requires a licence, detector vans a superfluous these days (some argue they always were).

Whilst you will be OK in the sense you are extremely unlikely to ever get caught you are not OK in the sense that you are not within the law, which basically says if you watch TV as it is being broadcast you need a licence.

Only the BBC has legislation on its side where it can demand money, and criminalise those who don't pay, for services that may or may not use their services. OK local authorities have similar powers but they cover essential services, not entertainment. In my view this is an aberration and should leave those who choose not to buy a licence with a clear conscience.

• Greenie 1

It is interesting to see so many folk effectively saying "don't bother, you'll never get caught". Presumably these same people are quite happy to advocate shoplifting and tax evasion if they think it can be got away with. A sad reflection on society that people seem at ease with publicly pronouncing their dishonesty. This mini-rant is not aimed at the OP, who seems to want to do the right thing and not be a scrounger.

I agree, the law says that if you watch live TV you need a to be covered by a licence, period. If you don't like the law that is a different matter, but until the law in change it is not an option. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to watch live TV.

I agree, the law says that if you watch live TV you need a to be covered by a licence, period. If you don't like the law that is a different matter, but until the law in change it is not an option. If you don't like it no one is forcing you to watch live TV.

The licence fee isn't to fund live t.v., it's to fund the BBC. The law says you still have to pay even if you don't watch the BBC. In this day and age it shouldn't be beyond the BBC to introduce a paying service, as many other providers do. But no doubt their revenues would fall, and they don't want that.

Only the BBC has legislation on its side where it can demand money, and criminalise those who don't pay, for services that may or may not use their services. OK local authorities have similar powers but they cover essential services, not entertainment. In my view this is an aberration and should leave those who choose not to buy a licence with a clear conscience.

If you never ever watch BBC channels I could agree with you, however if you do, you are using the service but declining to pay for it. A bit like having a fancy meal in a restaurant and then running out without paying. In that circumstance, whilst you might retain a clear conscience, the rest of us would rightly consider you a scrounging criminal.

In this day and age it shouldn't be beyond the BBC to introduce a paying service, as many other providers do. But no doubt their revenues would fall, and they don't want that.

But have you ever seen the crap they have on TV in other countries? Or on ITV for that matter! I know the licence fee is not a trivial amount but we do get, in general, infinitely better TV and radio, without the endless commercials, than any other country. It's interesting how folk pay considerably more to watch Sky, and yet are still inundated with really long advertisement breaks every 15 minutes. The BBC is much better value than that!

The licence fee isn't to fund live t.v., it's to fund the BBC. The law says you still have to pay even if you don't watch the BBC. In this day and age it shouldn't be beyond the BBC to introduce a paying service, as many other providers do. But no doubt their revenues would fall, and they don't want that.

The law is simple if you watch live TV (any live TV) you need a licence. It has nothing to do with watching the BBC, or what platform that you watch the live TV on. The exception before I am picked up is a device that is powered by internal batteries only. I never said anything about what the licence is to fund, that is not relevant at all here.

Its not quite as simit uple as that, on a boat there is no stipulation they cannot be watched at the same time.

Technically using a co. address could be used as your 'main homes address' and you could possibly argue you are covered by this bit if you want to pretend you actually live there.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8

FTS has it right, somebody who actually lives whole time on their boat does not fit the neat 'tick box mentality' of lots of govt. depts. TV licencing included.

Thanks for putting me right Martin. Think your first sentence summed It up perfectly. Nothing ever is simple nowadays. Still, I suppose thinking of new ways to frustrate people helps with the unemployment figures. I guess its akin to some of the other replies on here that its down to ones conscience in the end with the added fun of confusing a bureaucrat (depending on ones mood at the time)

The law is simple if you watch live TV (any live TV) you need a licence. It has nothing to do with watching the BBC, or what platform that you watch the live TV on. The exception before I am picked up is a device that is powered by internal batteries only. I never said anything about what the licence is to fund, that is not relevant at all here.

I'm quite aware what the law states but my point was that the revenues only go to the BBC.

If you never ever watch BBC channels I could agree with you, however if you do, you are using the service but declining to pay for it. A bit like having a fancy meal in a restaurant and then running out without paying. In that circumstance, whilst you might retain a clear conscience, the rest of us would rightly consider you a scrounging criminal.

But have you ever seen the crap they have on TV in other countries? Or on ITV for that matter! I know the licence fee is not a trivial amount but we do get, in general, infinitely better TV and radio, without the endless commercials, than any other country. It's interesting how folk pay considerably more to watch Sky, and yet are still inundated with really long advertisement breaks every 15 minutes. The BBC is much better value than that!

If you think it's good value you're free to pay for it. If I don't feel the same, the law says I still have to pay for it.

If I go into Asda to buy a loaf of bread I could also buy a bottle of wine. If I don't want the wine I can walk out without buying it and not be branded a scrounging criminal.

If I go into Asda to buy a loaf of bread I could also buy a bottle of wine. If I don't want the wine I can walk out without buying it and not be branded a scrounging criminal.

However if you walk out with the bottle of wine without paying for it you possibly could be so branded.

Watching TV as it is broadcast (any TV Channel) without paying for a licence is akin to stealing the wine simply because it's against the law.

I don't always agree with or use some of the daft none essential projects our local authority comes up with but that is not grounds for withholding my community charge or any part of it, the same can sometimes be said of CRT and some of the stuff they spend our licence fee money on.

Edited by The Dog House

I'm quite aware what the law states but my point was that the revenues only go to the BBC.

If you think it's good value you're free to pay for it. If I don't feel the same, the law says I still have to pay for it.

No, if you don't think its good value you just don't use the service. What you can't legally or morally do is use the service but refuse to pay for it. As I said, if you genuinely never watch the BBC nor listen to the radio (which is funded through the TV licence these days) then I think you could have a moral point, though not a legal point. However I get the impression you are using the BBC's services but just declining to pay on the grounds that "someone else can pay for it" - someone else such as me and the majority of other residents of the UK. Hopefully I am wrong about that because it would make you a scrounger and I would then hope we never meet because you would probably have my wallet too.

Surely satellite tv is not live tv .compare digital tv with sat tv and there is a time delay.

I have watched tv in the kitchen and seen the same on entering the lounge.

I go along with the thought that the BBC should fund itself and that a licence is a stealth tax.