Gas connector - Gasfuse device

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

I bought a Gas fuse recently (featured in Waterways World). It is a small device that fits between the gas bottle (red gas - propane) and the existing regulator, and enables you to pressure test the system when you want to. It also shuts off the gas if there is a major leak elsewhere in the system.

It is on the left in this photo, the regulator is on the right.

I have had some difficulty getting the gasfuse to seal properly onto the bottle. Has anyone seen a male fitting like this in the UK, with an O ring? Some internet searches of Australian websites (this device is fitted to hundreds of thousands of caravans etc over there) suggest an O-ring is quite normal, but we have always had metal to metal connectors.

I believe my main gas system is fine (very simple, and recently tested for BSS).

I have also written to the UK distributors. Until I am confident the fitting is the right one, I have taken it out of operation.

Many thanks

gasfuse.jpg

I have some hand-tightened pig tails on my installation with O rings like your photo.

And yes, mine leak easily too...

MtB

Thanks very much.

This is frustrating - the main effect of the addition of this safety device seems to be to increase the risk of a leak in the high pressure part of the system.

This should not be dangerous (the gas will vent overboard) but it could be expensive and/or lead to culinary disaster.

This topic is of interest to me because recently my little ship failed its boat safety due to me having fitted low pressure hose between the regulator and bulkhead fitting and within the confines of the gas locker. Low pressure hose is reasonable I thought as the gas released by the regulator to the appliances is low pressure (37 millibar)

BSC requires high pressure hose, clearly I had not done my research properly.

However the thought occurred to me that in the event of a regulator failure, high pressure gas (some 150psi) will reach appliances expecting only 37 millibar (a couple of pounds I think) which I would believe is highly undesirable and probably dangerous. The thought of being unaware that such high pressure is in the cabin and attempting to light an appliance is quite un-nerving.

I would prefer to have a low pressure hose fail within the confines of the gas locker than high pressure gas in the cabin. I admit it is uncertain that the hose would fail before an appliance or that an appliance might already be lit at the time of regulator failure but a high pressure hose certainly puts the problem squarely into the cabin.

So, I put these thoughts to the boat safety folk who have acknowledged receipt of my enquiry but have so far refused to comment. What price safety? I would have thought they might at least give me a rational for their requirement, the BSC documentation to my mind has confused hose within the cabin and hose without. Certainly any hose within must be high pressure no argument but within a gas locker?

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Edited by ditchdabbler

This topic is of interest to me because recently my little ship failed its boat safety due to me having fitted low pressure hose between the regulator and bulkhead fitting and within the confines of the gas locker. Low pressure hose is reasonable I thought as the gas released by the regulator to the appliances is low pressure (37 millibar)

Is the regulator cylinder mounted? If so my reading is that hose is fine as long as it's BS EN 1763 class 2, 3 or 4 and less then 1m long. See section 7.9.4.

"Except on ‘all hose’ systems, low pressure LPG hoses

may only be used to connect a LPG cylinder regulator
and/or appliances to the LPG supply pipework."
I think that implies you can't use hose on the LP side of a regulator which is mounted in the gas locker remote from the cylinder, but I don't see why you would want to. Copper pipe would be much better.
MP.
Edited by MoominPapa

Is the regulator cylinder mounted? If so my reading is that hose is fine as long as it's BS EN 1763 class 2, 3 or 4 and less then 1m long. See section 7.9.4.

"Except on ‘all hose’ systems, low pressure LPG hoses

may only be used to connect a LPG cylinder regulator

and/or appliances to the LPG supply pipework."

I think that implies you can't use hose on the LP side of a regulator which is mounted in the gas locker remote from the cylinder, but I don't see why you would want to. Copper pipe would be much better.

MP.

Hi.

The regulator is bottle mounted. The hose I fitted was BS EN 1763 class 1 which is the low pressure type. In fairness to the inspector he said that in his opinion it was a safe installation but that the regs demand class 2 or above which is high pressure hose and therefore he had to fail the system. It was only a ten minute job to change it once I bought it but I still cannot see the point of high pressure hose requirement when under normal operating conditions the hose will never see more than low pressure.

Regards

Ditchdabbler