Computers afloat

muddywaters

Featured Posts

It's not really a question, more trying to get opinions.

As part of down sizing to move onto a boat I'm looking at everything and asking do I really need it.

Which has got me looking at my laptop and the question is.

As I only use the laptop for Facebook Twitter coming on here and other forums, along with reading emails and down loading the occasional video.

Would it be easier once I move on to a boat to get rid of the laptop completely and just use an iPad ?

So what does anyone think ?

I have a laptop, a netbook, a Hybrid Windows 8 tablet with keyboard, and an original iPad. I use the iPad for everything, only reaching for one of the others if I find something the iPad can't do.

Seriously considering an iPad Mini to update the iPad situation.

Stick with the laptop if you already have it. No point in wasting money, laptops aren't exactly big so it won't be taking up all your space. Also, iPads are overpriced crap.

Well of course you are entitled to that opinion however an IPad could never be described as 'crap' .

They are way pricier than similarly specd. Tablets but they.....just ......work.

If you want something cheaper with a comparable spec. Android tablets can be had.

They are way pricier than similarly specd. Tablets but they.....just ......work.

You are even repeating their advertising slogans for them, clapping.gif

They got you good.

Edited by Delta9

It's not really a question, more trying to get opinions.

As part of down sizing to move onto a boat I'm looking at everything and asking do I really need it.

Which has got me looking at my laptop and the question is.

As I only use the laptop for Facebook Twitter coming on here and other forums, along with reading emails and down loading the occasional video.

Would it be easier once I move on to a boat to get rid of the laptop completely and just use an iPad ?

So what does anyone think ?

If you take downloading videos out of the equation my Blackberry does everything else that you have mentioned.

Phil

All down to personal preference but I've never found tablet size things to be satisfactory. It's a combination of eyesight issues and the size of my fingers!

Fortunately I have built in a full size desktop installation and have a laptoip to use when Marie is working :)

Speaking on behalf of all Luddites and as someone who was still using an Amstrad 286 until 2007 and is still using the lap top purchased to replace it....if it 'aint broke don't fix it!.......If it does everything you want to do, why change?

I prefer the iPad to the laptop. If you don't need to use specific programmes then it's more convenient and has a much better battery endurance.

This is what I was thinking

If you take downloading videos out of the equation my Blackberry does everything else that you have mentioned.

Phil

I've had a blackberry and never again

Do you have a camera (possibly on your phone, but hopefully you have a proper one)? If so, then with the resolutions these days its going to generate a number of large files, so you need decent storage space. Can you download/transfer from the camera to a tablet (easily)? If not, then a laptop makes much more sense, since its likely to have a full size SD card slot and your camera is likely to use this standard (they all seem to these days). What about music? Do you have a bunch of CDs, or just a handful (or none) and listen to the radio? Once again, its about ease of use and storage, a laptop without an optical drive can easily have one plugged into it (cost about £20?) and you can transfer CDs to it and then throw away (or sell, eg on Ziffit) your CD collection.

Backup - how are you going to back up the laptop or tablet in case you drop it into the canal, or its screen smashes and is useless, or it gets stolen etc? A laptop easily allows an external hard disk to be connected, does a tablet?

Are you really going to uploads all those pictures and music (and any videos you have) to cloud storage, on a mobile broadband link?

Personally I have 15GB of cloud storage which is handy but realistically only for transferring between devices easily. My 'main' laptop has a 1TB hybrid drive, and I have an external 1TB drive; I also have a smaller laptop (netbook) which is handy for this & that but doesn't hold the main storage. But if the main laptop failed, I could easily plug in the 1TB external drive and get to all my data. Over the years I've kept pictures, music, etc and the pictures are approx 80GB and the music approx 80GB, so not really practical to store on cloud storage. Others might have far less storage needs though and can make cloud storage work for them.

I've had a blackberry and never again

My daughter calls hers a 'Crapberry' and not without good reason, she rues the day she got it but is due an upgrade next month and if funds allow is getting an iPhone, or if funds don't allow anything but a Blackberry.

I like my trusty and now ancient laptop and consider it a general purpose machine, plus the screen is large enough for my crap eyesight, and the keys large enough for my lack of digital dexterity. I agree with Paul C re. the backup flexibility etc., too.
Perhaps I am just set in my ways, but I don't seem to get along with tablet type devices.

Edited by Guest

We use a lappy (lots of file storage space) we also have a couple of android tablets and of course smart phones.

You could use "dropbox" to get around the file storage issue but IMHO fruit has no place in modern technology........it rots from the core and is over priced eye candy and has problems when it comes to mobile data transfer......

Just sayin :)

We use a lappy (lots of file storage space) we also have a couple of android tablets and of course smart phones.

You could use "dropbox" to get around the file storage issue but IMHO fruit has no place in modern technology........it rots from the core and is over priced eye candy and has problems when it comes to mobile data transfer......

Just sayin smile.png

Dropbox is 2GB storage, isn't it? That's 4.5 hours to upload on a typical mobile connection and about a week's worth of pictures taken on holiday. I guess if you took less pics, or turned the camera to a lower resolution setting, you could make it work.

Do you have a camera (possibly on your phone, but hopefully you have a proper one)? If so, then with the resolutions these days its going to generate a number of large files, so you need decent storage space. Can you download/transfer from the camera to a tablet (easily)? If not, then a laptop makes much more sense, since its likely to have a full size SD card slot and your camera is likely to use this standard (they all seem to these days). What about music? Do you have a bunch of CDs, or just a handful (or none) and listen to the radio? Once again, its about ease of use and storage, a laptop without an optical drive can easily have one plugged into it (cost about £20?) and you can transfer CDs to it and then throw away (or sell, eg on Ziffit) your CD collection.

Backup - how are you going to back up the laptop or tablet in case you drop it into the canal, or its screen smashes and is useless, or it gets stolen etc? A laptop easily allows an external hard disk to be connected, does a tablet?

Are you really going to uploads all those pictures and music (and any videos you have) to cloud storage, on a mobile broadband link?

Personally I have 15GB of cloud storage which is handy but realistically only for transferring between devices easily. My 'main' laptop has a 1TB hybrid drive, and I have an external 1TB drive; I also have a smaller laptop (netbook) which is handy for this & that but doesn't hold the main storage. But if the main laptop failed, I could easily plug in the 1TB external drive and get to all my data. Over the years I've kept pictures, music, etc and the pictures are approx 80GB and the music approx 80GB, so not really practical to store on cloud storage. Others might have far less storage needs though and can make cloud storage work for them.

Thank you I had not even given the camera a thought and it would be an issue.

So guess your post actually answers my question best I do need to keep the laptop.

That's what I love about this site you always get an answer beyond what you asked

I've just ditched a powerful win7 laptop for an iPad.

No regrets whatsoever.

I started with a Sinclair, then Dos 3.2 on a 286 PC, then Win95, Win98, Win2000, XP, Vista (aaaarrrggghhh) and finally Windows 7 with dual core and stupid amounts of memory and storage....... Won't miss Microsoft for a minute.

Was it on here that somebody said -

I - pads - pods -phones and the like are for consuming

PCs Laptops and the like are for actually doing

Stick with the lappy, you know it make sense

• Greenie 2

I've just ditched a powerful win7 laptop for an iPad.

No regrets whatsoever.

I started with a Sinclair, then Dos 3.2 on a 286 PC, then Win95, Win98, Win2000, XP, Vista (aaaarrrggghhh) and finally Windows 7 with dual core and stupid amounts of memory and storage....... Won't miss Microsoft for a minute.

Not a huge fan of MS myself. I like to use Linux Mint on the laptop, though do still use MS (dual boot.)

Largely depends on what one needs a computer for, but I find a laptop to be the best compromise.

You are even repeating their advertising slogans for them, :clapping:

They got you good.

2 year old Asus laptop (not a cheap model - cost me a grand!) broke, samsung phone (dreadful) keeps showing me spammy adverts when I'm trying to call or text people, is slow and won't charge with the cable anymore. Ipad (which was by far the oldest gadget) keeps on going. Lost count of how many times the dog has sat on it or it has been dropped.

I'd say its definitely value for money as It never went wrong and I haven't had to buy a new one.

Personally I'd never spend £1000 on a laptop when there are perfectly functional ones out there for £250 or so. Spammy adverts on a phone can only be due to something dodgy you've downloaded on it, nothing to do with the manufacturer!!!

All down to personal preference but I've never found tablet size things to be satisfactory. It's a combination of eyesight issues and the size of my fingers!

Fortunately I have built in a full size desktop installation and have a laptoip to use when Marie is working :)

But you are blessed with a big/long boat and now with only Sam aboard you must have shed loads of room (I'm jealous LOL)

2 year old Asus laptop (not a cheap model - cost me a grand!) broke, samsung phone (dreadful) keeps showing me spammy adverts when I'm trying to call or text people, is slow and won't charge with the cable anymore. Ipad (which was by far the oldest gadget) keeps on going. Lost count of how many times the dog has sat on it or it has been dropped.

I'd say its definitely value for money as It never went wrong and I haven't had to buy a new one.

Surprised at your Asus laptop dying. They were one of the more "kid proof" makes when I worked in a school, (until they got nicked anyway.) There is an element of luck involved though.

If you've got a TV onboard that has an HDMI socket or VGA then one possibility is a car PC. These are normal PCs but they run off a 12V supply so you can use normal peripherals etc. I've been using a couple for a research project that I'm doing at work and they run modern os's fine. I've been running mine with Ubuntu 12.4 LTS and 13.10. We've also had them running windows (if your desperate).