another unlicenced boat

b0atman

Featured Posts

Speaking to a friend about a boat in my old marina which went out unlicenced insured or BSS for one 3 hour trip in 8 years.

This same boats owner has now permanently left the marina in a cloud of smoke to take boat for blacking and to move to a different marina .

Now this raises the question will CRT monitor him at any point on his journey and will new marina accept a boat which does not conform with any legalities ?

If this owner is ignorant of the rules then he is going to get a surprise but whats the betting that he gets away with it.

Woodstock, on 26 Jul 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Both marinas we've been in required a copy of the insurance and BSS certificates. I dont know if some don't but it seems unprofessional if they don't

Same here, in our case both Mercia and BWML required copies.

In my opinion it should be compulsory for all boats in Marinas to have at least third party insurance this gives cover to other boaters and cover for marina owners if boat sinks .

It is amazing how most caravanners don't bother either .

I believe third party cover is about £60 a year.

In my opinion it should be compulsory for all boats in Marinas to have at least third party insurance this gives cover to other boaters and cover for marina owners if boat sinks .

It is amazing how most caravanners don't bother either .

I believe third party cover is about £60 a year.

I think boat insurance is reasonable-just had our fully comp renewal £116- ok so she's only little -38foot and is 24 years old, I think thats a good price. I think the BSS is reasonable too- and the impact to others of mooring near a boat with gas on board and No BSS and a safety fault could be frightening. I know faults can occur between the BSS, but the fact someone has one should increase the boatowners safety awareness and knowledge and thus reduce the risk of issues

Bee-Great Word- I've heard it but didn't know its meaning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude (/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/; German: [ˈʃaːdənˌfʁɔʏdə] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen)) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This word is taken from German and literally means 'Harm-Joy'. It is the feeling of joy or pleasure when one sees another fail or suffer misfortune. It is also borrowed by some other languages.

Right- I dont want to be one- so I'm also off shopping- but the parking's free biggrin.png

Bee, on 26 Jul 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

Look, I don`t want to be rude but its a lovely day and there must be things to enjoy apart from someone elses schadenfreude and what CRT get up to. I am going shopping in the car in a few minutes and I will probably not buy a parking ticket, I would hope nobody would take it upon themselves to inform the authorities I will almost certainly break a speed limit or two on the way just to get a little relief from the suffocating weight of Do As You Are Told we live under now - its childish but it makes me feel good.

Is your car taxed, MOT'd and insured ?

I wonder if you would feel the same way if this boat moored up along side you, the gas cylinder exploded showering your boat in flames and setting fire to 'your pride and joy', your lifelong collection of xxxx is destroyed, you suffer 3rd degree burns, etc etc.

You then find there was no BSS & no insurance cover ?

If someone cannot afford £100 per year for insurance and £30 per year for the BSS ..............................................

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 3

Look, I don`t want to be rude but its a lovely day and there must be things to enjoy apart from someone elses schadenfreude and what CRT get up to. I am going shopping in the car in a few minutes and I will probably not buy a parking ticket, I would hope nobody would take it upon themselves to inform the authorities I will almost certainly break a speed limit or two on the way just to get a little relief from the suffocating weight of Do As You Are Told we live under now - its childish but it makes me feel good.

Drive carefully. Hope no uninsured drivers hit your car.

I feel no joy when others fail or suffer misfortune which this person who is well off and a business man is neither .Enjoy your shopping and I hope an uninsured driver does not crash into your car.

Oh goody, another "Waaah waah Miss, Miss, he's got more than me" type thread... :(

I've recently started looking for another boat to live on after a break of over 20 years. But after coming on here reading some of the comments and attitudes seems it might be a mistake. If this forum shows the attitudes of the majority of boaters then it's like the cut has changed from being a lovely chilled out place to being full of angry people who spend their time getting all het up over what everyone else is doing instead of getting on with their own lives and enjoying the cut.

• Greenie 4

Oh goody, another "Waaah waah Miss, Miss, he's got more than me" type thread... sad.png

I've recently started looking for another boat to live on after a break of over 20 years. But after coming on here reading some of the comments and attitudes seems it might be a mistake. If this forum shows the attitudes of the majority of boaters then it's like the cut has changed from being a lovely chilled out place to being full of angry people who spend their time getting all het up over what everyone else is doing instead of getting on with their own lives and enjoying the cut.

The lovely people are out enjoying the canals. This is a forum, not a boat or a canal

Richard

The lovely people are out enjoying the canals. This is a forum, not a boat or a canal

Richard

Correct, this forum is just a very small sample of boaters.

I will say, that having suffered loss at the hands of an uninsured operator (and that is all I am prepared to say), it does concern me that some boats are likely uninsured. It is nothing to do with who has got what/more in my case, I care not a jot. I take it personally when somebody doesn't pay their insurance though, and I had to cough up as a result.

Oh goody, another "Waaah waah Miss, Miss, he's got more than me" type thread... sad.png

Please don't worry. The cut is still a lovely chilled out place for 99.9% of the time. I wouldn't be on it otherwise.

Edited by Guest

Drive carefully. Hope no uninsured drivers hit your car.

I agree with the third party, we saw the wreck of a widebeam some years back, she was being repaired, a boat in Thames and Kennet marina (big DB) got stuck in foreward and went on the rampage smashing into things randomly. It hit the WB so hard the granite kitchen worktop inside the boat went flying accross the boat and dented the opposite side. Fortunately everyone was insured.

A total of 9 people (inc me) have posted on this thread compared to how many boaters out there?

A infintisimal proportion by anybodys standards. Just buy your boat and stop stressing.

Phil

This isn't the only thread on here with this type of content. ;) There's hundreds. I've wasted hours recently reading back over the last few months of posts in an attempt to catch up on current news. trends and attitudes :)

This isn't the only thread on here with this type of content. wink.png There's hundreds. I've wasted hours recently reading back over the last few months of posts in an attempt to catch up on current news. trends and attitudes smile.png

the trick is to be selective about what you read. I just read posts that are of any interest/relevance to me then disregard the rest. Saves endless time ;)

Edited by Guest

News there are a small minority who bend /break the rules ,there is a large majority who are enjoying the canals and boating and who will help others with advice and practical aid when able.Life is not perfect but very nearly is.

The trend is that we now have CRT instead of BW and their are some good people who are trying to get the system upto scratch and are maybe upsetting some who BW turned a blind eye to.

The attitude has lost a bit on its way over the last maybe 20 years but hopefully in time we will get the community spirit back to how it was .

Enjoy this life Nige and slow down .

This isn't the only thread on here with this type of content. ;) There's hundreds. I've wasted hours recently reading back over the last few months of posts in an attempt to catch up on current news. trends and attitudes :)

It's terrible that somebody is forcing you to read it all