another unlicenced boat

b0atman

Featured Posts

It's terrible that you appear to think that sarcasm is amusing... ;)

Why is it terrible.

Surely my habit of taunting those who lack the prerequisites to engage in a battle of wits is more terrible.

I agree with the third party, we saw the wreck of a widebeam some years back, she was being repaired, a boat in Thames and Kennet marina (big DB) got stuck in foreward and went on the rampage smashing into things randomly. It hit the WB so hard the granite kitchen worktop inside the boat went flying accross the boat and dented the opposite side. Fortunately everyone was insured.

Re above, in red, if this is the DB I’m thinking of at Thames & Kennet Marina, it did not go rampaging and smashing into things randomly. Yes it did crash into the widebeam causing considerable damage and yes it was good that both boats were insured. The reason being that the DB got stuck in forward gear allegedly, was that a split pin on the throttle cable had not been bent over and had worked its way loose and fallen out and that it must have been this way from when the DB was new.

The council makes you pay a parking charge that you consider to be too high, so you take pleasure in watching them force that unfair charge on to others?

Does that not sound a bit ridiculous to you?

It's the flip side of democracy innit? It's a decision our elected representatives have made in order to finance the services we expect to be provided. Don't have to like it, do have to accept the need to comply, with the option of lawful protest or voting them out. All them as don't pay have already increased the burden on those that do and continue to exacerbate the situation.

It's the flip side of democracy innit? It's a decision our elected representatives have made in order to finance the services we expect to be provided. Don't have to like it, do have to accept the need to comply, with the option of lawful protest or voting them out. All them as don't pay have already increased the burden on those that do and continue to exacerbate the situation.

Yep, comply first Then protest and try and change it legaly

Presumably then they don't have any insurance cover what so ever covering their own caravans never mind just third parties, which indeed means they are taking a heck of a risk.

I always have insurance on my caravan. The main reason being for the Third Party cover. Just in case my van burns, and takes another, or others with it.

I currently have a fully comp policy which covers my possessions, all the caravan and awning equipment, and even emergency accommodation.

£ 7.74 per month. It would be slightly cheaper if I paid in one go, as opposed to by monthly direct debit.

I am always surprised, and somewhat concerned that camp sites do not insist on seeing an insurance policy when you check in.

But, many good things have been brought about by civil disobedience, rather than simply complying and then protesting.

Bob

True but we are not talking about encroachment on freedoms or such, we are talking about something that provides funds to pay for something we all use and presumably love.

We might dislike a particular way of funding and campaign for changes.

We might disagree with methods and attitudes but we should use legal methods to alter them.

Not paying charges means damaging (however slightly) a lifestyle or pastime we all enjoy.

• Greenie 1

Yup, Didn`t pay my poll tax either, snag with democracy is that it leaves you with few means to protest effectively. Think we`ve strayed a long way from boating so I`m off to walk the collie and discuss politics (she`s a very clever collie!)

True but we are not talking about encroachment on freedoms or such, we are talking about something that provides funds to pay for something we all use and presumably love.

We might dislike a particular way of funding and campaign for changes.

We might disagree with methods and attitudes but we should use legal methods to alter them.

Not paying charges means damaging (however slightly) a lifestyle or pastime we all enjoy.

Agreed, I was making a general point about protest. In order for civil disobedience to work you must have the support of a lot of people, so it will probably be something that isn't right in the first place.

Bob

If you are in a Unlicensed marina, there is no need for Insurance, saftey or a License.

many of the boats here in Hairfield havnt been licenced since 2004.

I am fully licenced and take my boat out all the time but I cant say about all the others Insurance/Saftey etc bit I do know of a few that havn't got any at all.

Bob

Sry if this dosnt make sense, 25 yrd old Chery Casked Single Malt taking its toll.

Edited by Bob Blues

If you are in a Unlicensed marina, there is no need for Insurance, saftey or a License.

many of the boats here in Hairfield havnt been licenced since 2004.

I am fully licenced and take my boat out all the time but I cant say about all the others Insurance/Saftey etc bit I do know of a few that havn't got any at all.

Bob

Sry if this dosnt make sense, 25 yrd old Chery Casked Single Malt taking its toll.

In one of the marinas we were in for a year Boats didn't need to be licensed, but the marina still required a copy of Boat insurance and BSS- It depends on the marina- personally I would expect a marina to require these

In one of the marinas we were in for a year Boats didn't need to be licensed, but the marina still required a copy of Boat insurance and BSS- It depends on the marina- personally I would expect a marina to require these

Same here - I would be extremely wary of mooring at a site that didn't expect a boat to have a BSS cert. and certainly one that didn't expect at least third party insurance, you could lose everything because of no fault of your own and be completely unable to recover your losses.....

I have just spoke to a friend of mine who went to a large marina to work on a grp cruiser. He found that the guy had replaced a diesel inboard with a petrol one, badly!

Whilst he was looking in horror at the tangle of wires, he noticed a smell of fumes and shut off the pipes to the tank. He turned to talk to the owner who was on the bank . At that point the tw*t lit a cigarette with a zippo!

Luckily my mates reaction were super fast and apart from some singed facial hair he managed to escape the boat and any further injuries. After he had calmed down he spoke to the guy who wasn't really bothered by the fact he could have killed him. He was more interested in when him, his missus and the 2 two kids could get the boat going and go on a jolly!!!!

When asked he admitted he was NOT insured, although he did have current licence. My friend walked away and the owner reported to the office, who said they would sort it, before he causes some real damage.

All the boats that are in Harefield and not licensed/insured etc don't move so the only time they would cause a problems is if you hit one. Saying that one or two go to the pump out ever 2-3 months but...

Ive checked and as I said, an unlicensed marina BSS/insurance/License is not required. No one is forcing you to stay in an unlicensed Marina. I dont think there has been a incident there for years certainly the 3 1/2 years Ive been there. Its probably one of the most tranquil places around and 20 mins to London too.

Bob

In my opinion it should be compulsory for all boats in Marinas to have at least third party insurance this gives cover to other boaters and cover for marina owners if boat sinks .

It is amazing how most caravanners don't bother either .

I believe third party cover is about £60 a year.

There is no requirement for a touring caravan to have 3rd. party insurance or a safety certificate. Whilst it is being towed it will be covered by the car insurance.

What I object most to is the blatant disregard councils have for line treaders by replacing all paving flagstones with tarmac footways.

Don't they realise that having to balance precariously on the kerb is not only dangerous but highly stressful?

very dangerous pass time, treading on the lines, everyone knows: If you tread on a nick you'll marry a stick and a blackjack will come to your wedding!

I thought if you stood on a line on a pavement you got attacked by Lions or Bears....??

If you stand still on the wrong pavement in London, on a line or not, thousands of people will feel very annoyed with you but none of them will say anything as they rush past you 3" away. There's a reason why the pavement on the east side of London Bridge is so wide.

I agree with the third party, we saw the wreck of a widebeam some years back, she was being repaired, a boat in Thames and Kennet marina (big DB) got stuck in foreward and went on the rampage smashing into things randomly. It hit the WB so hard the granite kitchen worktop inside the boat went flying accross the boat and dented the opposite side. Fortunately everyone was insured.

Interesting post. Made me try to visualise the random smashing. Did it have a steerer? Shame for all the damage tho'