Green River

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

The river at Ely is completely covered at the moment with a thick layer of duckweed. Not just ordinary duckweed, but a much less common species, greater duckweed (Lemna polyrhiza to be technical). It closes like a curtain to an apparently solid surface as the boat ploughs through. I've never seen this before here. Does it happen every year? I haven't had a look at my raw water strainer yet......

MOupLhI.jpg

Limehouse cut going into the marina is a lawn too.

I'm going through it tomorrow, plays havoc with my engine cooling mud box :(

I think its ordinary duck weed here don't know. CRT have a boat which takes some of it out but I reckon it'd take a week to sort it out.

The river at Ely is completely covered at the moment with a thick layer of duckweed. Not just ordinary duckweed, but a much less common species, greater duckweed (Lemna polyrhiza to be technical). It closes like a curtain to an apparently solid surface as the boat ploughs through. I've never seen this before here. Does it happen every year? I haven't had a look at my raw water strainer yet......

MOupLhI.jpg

Selby canal in same state so thick in basin did not need fenders down!

Selby canal in same state so thick in basin did not need fenders down!

Yep they have 2 tiny boats trying to clear the Selby canal. Last day today and they have only got as far as the boatyard. It's not the blokes fault doing the job they don't stand a snowball in hells chance of clearing the, relatively, short Selby canal.

I haven't taken my boat out in a couple of weeks The last time I took a trip down the Selby the weed stopped my engine once completely and twice nearly stopped it. 3 trips down the weed hatch in 5 miles was too much for me. I know some do more trips down the hatch than that in as few miles but I couldn't be bothered so my boat has stayed in the boatyard since. I have to say it wasn't that surface stuff that stopped my engine it was bind weed below the surface. some of it is yards long and it's a sod to get off. That duck/fairy/moss/surface whatever it's called weed doesn't seem to bother me. My raw water intake is well below the surface and I have an inboard filter.

Some years back when I was going through a tropical fishkeeping phase I used to be plagued by duckweed, rapidly multiplying to cover the surface of a tank and killing off most plants below them by blocking out light; so you might expect less of the bigger and more troublesome weeds where there's a lot of duckweed?

This is a comprehensive article on duckweeds:

http://www.ceh.ac.uk/sci_programmes/documents/duckweeds.pdf

Basically they multiply on still or slow waters with enough organic nutrients, so for our purposes the Fenland rivers would be a likely place to see duckweed, or any canal with enough fertiliser running in off farmland.

Towards the end it basically says boaters are all to blame for not cruising about enough on the affected waters!:

"The minimum amount of boat traffic required to eliminate Lemna is reckoned to be about 1500 boat movements per annum"

It doesn't elaborate as to what kind of boat; do widebeams count as two I wonder? Anyway, well done the OP or making a start on the problem.

for the first time in the six years weve been on the slough arm we are totally weed free which is very unusual but thanks to the dredging that had taken place between highline and the basin.

Sadly they ran out of money so didnt do the couple of miles towards cowley

Limehouse cut going into the marina is a lawn too.

I'm going through it tomorrow, plays havoc with my engine cooling mud box :(

I think its ordinary duck weed here don't know. CRT have a boat which takes some of it out but I reckon it'd take a week to sort it out.

Wait til you get up to the green bridge...duck weed plus the stuff that grows on the river bed...

The Old West river was very bad between The Fish and Duck and Hermatage Lock about 3 years ago, didn't cause us a problem but cruisers with raw water cooling where really struggling at times.

Don't I know it!

We have decamped from the Nene to the Ouse for the summer.

Wise move e?!

A couple of years ago we visited the museum at Ellesmere Port.

They were clearing weed on a daily basis. At least 2 children had run into the canal assuming it was grass.

It can be quite dangerous. Several years ago I saw a big shaggy dog run straight onto a load of weed and floating grass cuttings that had accumulated above the sluice at the end of the Brentford basin. It was a couple of days after heavy rain and the dog never came back up. It just got sucked straight into the sluice and must have got stuck there because we couldn't see it come out the other side.The owner was distraught. Everyone around hearing his cries thought he'd lost a child. It could easily have been. BW quickly put up short posts and chains around the end of the basin after that.

Edited by blackrose

I can relate to that, we used to moor on a small island when we were on the Broads and it had a small pond which was covered in duckweed, one of our dogs just trotted onto/into it unaware there was water beneath the green stuff.

Phil

The Old West river was very bad between The Fish and Duck and Hermatage Lock about 3 years ago

As it is at the moment. The pic is approaching The Lazy Otter. It's the same stuff as at Ely. There were purple patches in it, and I noticed that as I went through, there was a purplis bow wave, so I howked a bit out, and each thallus (leaf) is purple underneath, so the purple bits are upside down, not a different kind. There wasn't much in my raw water strainer at Ely, but after this lot it was pretty full! (But still working).

Spent last night on Wicken Fen and passed Scholar Gypsy moored near Pope's Corner.

Fh1Ym6m.jpg