New Engine

Featured Posts

We've finally got ourselves a new engine. On Tuesday we arrived at Braunston and spent the afternoon dismantling things, then on Wednesday morning on UCC's wharf our beloved Dorothy (Perkins) was removed from the engine bay.

14580487502_a9c11f80bc.jpg

Dorothy comes out by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Then followed a frantic session of cutting and grinding while all the old engine mounts were removed, and finally Bertie (Beta) was dropped in

14580487862_8a51a5338c.jpg

Bertie goes in by Keeping Up, on Flickr

I'd been losing sleep for a month, worrying whether or not I'd measured correctly for the custom feet that Beta had made, but all was well and the new engine dropped perfectly into place.

The next day was a little frustrating with lots of niggles to overcome. Jonathan did amazing work, particularly in undoing some of Beta's oddest bodges, but eventually by Thursday evening the work was completed and Bertie made her first revolution at 5pm. We drank a toast to her in champagne and glued the cork to one of her feet for good luck.

The next day we went to Napton Bridge for lunch, as an easy try-out run, then returned via Braunston for a couple of connections to be tightened before making a longer run up to Rugby today. We are now on our way back to Braunston for a final check over and to have a few things finally fixed permanently in place if all is OK.

So ... what's different? Dorothy was still running well but she was both leaking and burning oil, she vibrated terribly at low revs, she needed a total rebuild with new seals bearings rings valves etc, and she kept on finding new and exciting ways to break down; the gearbox was also leaking oil incurably. Bertie (that's short for Roberta but we'll only call her that when we're annoyed with her) is no quieter but is infinitely smoother, she has vastly better electrics, and hopefully will be totally reliable.

Another change is that we had the drive moved forwards by 1" so that the propeller is nearer the boat and thus further from the rudder; this has greatly improved the rudder, so the tiller now doesn't leap around all the time but instead sits steadily in place and self-centres gently when released.

So far so good (except for our bank balance)

She sounded lovely when you passed us the other day Allan smile.png

We're back in the marina now, so if you are still about, please feel free to drop by for a cuppa (or vino if not driving) smile.png

ETA correct spelling of Allan's name blush.png

Edited by Bettie Boo

Yes it's still sounding good!

A couple more pictures. First I had to make up a new dashboard, I'm rather pleased with the result. The slot in the bottom takes a map. Note the ammeter reading, and this while the fridge and TV were both running too; with this much current available I can see that I'll have to keep an eye on the water level in the batteries.

14586220864_27bede3979.jpg

New dashboard by Keeping Up, on Flickr

This is the final installation. It seems very neat and tidy, and I can't get used to it not all being covered in oil and grease.

14588078065_08610d656a.jpg

Bertie the Beta by Keeping Up, on Flickr

We now plan to get a few hours on the clock by going to Fradley, Stoke, Middlewich, Llangollen, Stourport, Gloucester, and Birmingham before heading back to Milton Keynes. Apparently the River Severn section will be particularly "interesting" because Jonno has doubts about whether our skin tank - which was fine for the MC42 - will cope with the demands of a Beta 43 at full speed.

Edited by Keeping Up

Isn't that a bit worrying about the gearbox oil?

Mines been going for years and always looks as if you could put it back in the tin and sell it off - now there's a thought!!

Or did you mean engine oil?

No I did mean gearbox, the first engine oil change is at 50 hours.

I'm used to finding clean oil in the gearbox too, but I won't get worried unless the next change is black too. After all, PRM must have a good reason for requiring the first change after 25 hours.

Just out of interest, are there any warranty potential problems doing the work yourself or are Beta OK with that?

I know when we had a Nanni from new, I first got involved with Ed Boden to cover the initial changes - that was many years ago, and poor old Ed has had to put up with me ever since!!

My brand new Beta's oil was black when I first changed it, so was my preceding engine's before, after, and during it's fourteen year life.

ANY diesel engine oil is always BLACK - it's the nature of the animal; don't get worried about it - it's a fact of life.

BUT do change the oil regularly. That doesn't mean 'sometimes', but reasonably near whatever the manufacturer recommends. It MIGHT make the engine last a bit longer (OTOH it might not.......)

I think it's fairly normal for a hydraulic gearbox's oil to be pretty dirty after the first change. My PRM 150 oil was black after 50 hours when I changed it, but after the next 250 hours it still looked clean..

Edited by blackrose

Just out of interest, are there any warranty potential problems doing the work yourself or are Beta OK with that?

I know when we had a Nanni from new, I first got involved with Ed Boden to cover the initial changes - that was many years ago, and poor old Ed has had to put up with me ever since!!

The owner's manual gives the instructions for the owner to do everything including the first changes so presumably Beta are happy with that.

I'll report on the state of the engine oil after its first change in about 3 days time.

I'd second Blackrose's comment about gearbox oil. The oil from our PRM260 was pretty dirty at the 50 hour change but ever after at each change it's looked clear. We're up to nearly 4000 hours now with no problems.

My brand new Beta's oil was black when I first changed it, so was my preceding engine's before, after, and during it's fourteen year life.

ANY diesel engine oil is always BLACK - it's the nature of the animal; don't get worried about it - it's a fact of life.

BUT do change the oil regularly. That doesn't mean 'sometimes', but reasonably near whatever the manufacturer recommends. It MIGHT make the engine last a bit longer (OTOH it might not.......)

We changed our engine oil at the weekend at its prescribed 100 hour interval. Whilst it was certainly a deal "dirtier" than when it went in just before Easter, it was by no means black and still had a nice golden hue to it. So I wouldnt say that diesel engine oil is always black!!

We changed our engine oil at the weekend at its prescribed 100 hour interval. Whilst it was certainly a deal "dirtier" than when it went in just before Easter, it was by no means black and still had a nice golden hue to it. So I wouldnt say that diesel engine oil is always black!!

I think that may be a result of your engine working much harder (better) than a canal engine. I tend to leave my oil in a little longer usually about 150 hrs, but it is black when removed. This is regardless of oil make, though I normally use Asda brand (Mobil I am told) or Comma.

I suspect that your engine is at full operating temp. far more than some canal engines, many of which spend time idling, battery charging , water heating etc.

I think that may be a result of your engine working much harder (better) than a canal engine. I tend to leave my oil in a little longer usually about 150 hrs, but it is black when removed. This is regardless of oil make, though I normally use Asda brand (Mobil I am told) or Comma.

I suspect that your engine is at full operating temp. far more than some canal engines, many of which spend time idling, battery charging , water heating etc.

Possibly, although it does spend long periods not at temperature as well, especially on the Fossdyke and to a lesser extent the Witham. When we are pootling along it just doesnt work hard enough to get to temperature, the cooling system is a bit too efficient at slower speeds.

We change the oil at the manufacturers recommended intervals which is 100 hours. It was a bit early this time at 86 hours but as we are away for a couple of weeks we figured it wouldnt do it any harm to change it early given the work she will be doing.

There are a lot of factors involved in this. The blackness has a couple of obvious sources - soot from combustion passing through the ring packs and getting picked up in the oil is one. The other is heat degradation from cooling the underside of the pistons.

I suspect that your engine is a cut above the average car or canal boat engine with reduced blow by, and also doesn't work hard most of the time meaning less heat through the pistons

Plus, you look after your engine well. All of this is contributing to your oil quality

Richard

Well I did the first engine oil change at the weekend - 50 hours as recommended - and the oil was cleaner than the gearbox oil had been. It seemed a shame to be throwing it away.

I felt like that when my engine was new. At the first oil change the oil was like new, so I bunged it in the car rather than bin it.

My engine/gearbox set up is almost identical to the new Keeping Up (cruiser stern and all) except for the exhaust pipe route.

The oil in the ten year old PRM box looks like golden syrup even after a few hundred hours of use.

ETA: the oil isn't ten years old, of course!

Edited by Machpoint005