Chesterfield canal weed.....(not the smoking sort!)

frangar

Featured Posts

We are at present moored at Forest Locks on the chesterfield.

Does anyone know if the weed gets better or worse heading towards shireoaks?

We were hoping to make the head of navigation but the combination of weed and a reasonably deep draughted boat (2ft 8in) is meaning that forward progress is becoming somewhat slow...it's just taken us about 6 hours to do 11 miles and 5 locks...at some points I'm sure bow hauling would have been quicker if only we could have got near the towpath!

It's a shame as it's pretty and very quiet...possibly some of the reason for the weed growth!

I don't like being beaten but another day or two like today is not a good thought especially knowing that we will have the same trouble on the way back out. The winding hole at the next lock is starting to look very inviting....

Although we are deep draughted we don't usually pick stuff up...we didn't even have to throw anything off the prop going in or out of Liverpool and only had one weed hatch trip on the Ashton but the weed here is amazing....the water is very clear too so you can see the forest that you are cutting down!

Any thoughts welcome....

Cheers

Gareth

Well it doesn't look much different now....some bits are fine but others are thick with weed....almost stalled the JP on more than one occasion....and that's just using tickover....still deciding if we wind or press on.....I really don't mind a challenge but the thought of doing it all twice is getting depressing!

Cheers

Gareth

We are at present moored at Forest Locks on the chesterfield.

Does anyone know if the weed gets better or worse heading towards shireoaks?

We were hoping to make the head of navigation but the combination of weed and a reasonably deep draughted boat (2ft 8in) is meaning that forward progress is becoming somewhat slow...it's just taken us about 6 hours to do 11 miles and 5 locks...at some points I'm sure bow hauling would have been quicker if only we could have got near the towpath!

It's a shame as it's pretty and very quiet...possibly some of the reason for the weed growth!

I don't like being beaten but another day or two like today is not a good thought especially knowing that we will have the same trouble on the way back out. The winding hole at the next lock is starting to look very inviting....

Although we are deep draughted we don't usually pick stuff up...we didn't even have to throw anything off the prop going in or out of Liverpool and only had one weed hatch trip on the Ashton but the weed here is amazing....the water is very clear too so you can see the forest that you are cutting down!

Any thoughts welcome....

Cheers

Gareth

I don't have any local information, but having lived with a deep boat on the Middle Level, I can give you some advice on how to cope with the weed. The only thing to do is lots of power. You won't go much faster, but by moving the prop faster, you'll chop up the weed faster. The trick to to ensure the prop chops up and throws off weed faster than you collect it as the boat moves along. This is especially true for blanket weed. Stopping to the clear the prop of blanket weed is pointless, it will be fouled again before the boat has built up any momentum and moved away from the heavily weeded areas. Try very hard not to stop in the bad bits and use bridge-holes to blast in reverse: the water under the bridge will be clear where it's in shade. Finally try and pick your line to keep the stern in the clearest bits.

Good luck.

MP.

I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and lost track of when/where the weedcutters were/are due.

Sadly it is the lack of moving boats that causes the problem. I will try and find out what the situation is further up with some of the local boaters. It would be a huge shame if you did not go to the top as that is the prettiest bit.

I have been out of the country for a couple of weeks and lost track of when/where the weedcutters were/are due.

Sadly it is the lack of moving boats that causes the problem. I will try and find out what the situation is further up with some of the local boaters. It would be a huge shame if you did not go to the top as that is the prettiest bit.

Thanks...we came past Carrie Lou today...looks very smart!

We would like to make it to the end if at all possible...it's a shame to get this far and be beaten...the clear water does make me realise that we don't have much spare water under us which isn't helping either...I see the idea of more power but I think if we do that we will just get clamped to the bottom.

Cheers

Gareth

I have had two replies to my plea for up to date local news so far....

David, skipper of the trip boat "Hugh Henshall" says "It was pretty clear above Worksop a couple of weeks ago, and we were up around Turnerwood last week with no problems. As to the situation below Worksop, I can’t comment…"

then Michael says: "I can't comment on the situation today as I've not been down the canal for some weeks. That will be remedied tomorrow - so this time tomorrow evening I will have experienced the weed first hand and will be able to report further.
In general my advice to NB Doris would be to battle on, the weed will reduce as he approaches Worksop and is almost none existent from Worksop to the summit. In my experience going down gate is easier as you go with the current and thus with the weed so their return to WS should be better.
That's the best I can offer at present other than to say ill look out for the boat tomorrow and offer what advice I can at the time."

I hope to hear from the skipper of the trip boat Seth Ellis about how they got on moving the boat on that section last week and will update you as soon as I hear anything

I have had two replies to my plea for up to date local news so far....

David, skipper of the trip boat "Hugh Henshall" says "It was pretty clear above Worksop a couple of weeks ago, and we were up around Turnerwood last week with no problems. As to the situation below Worksop, I can’t comment…"

then Michael says: "I can't comment on the situation today as I've not been down the canal for some weeks. That will be remedied tomorrow - so this time tomorrow evening I will have experienced the weed first hand and will be able to report further.

In general my advice to NB Doris would be to battle on, the weed will reduce as he approaches Worksop and is almost none existent from Worksop to the summit. In my experience going down gate is easier as you go with the current and thus with the weed so their return to WS should be better.

That's the best I can offer at present other than to say ill look out for the boat tomorrow and offer what advice I can at the time."

I hope to hear from the skipper of the trip boat Seth Ellis about how they got on moving the boat on that section last week and will update you as soon as I hear anything

Wow...many thanks for that....we will press on then!....I really don't like being beaten and have prided myself on taking my boat where others said it shouldn't go!

I will be interested to know if the weed is bad by chesterfield standards or I've just become used to having it easy!...I must say I being here is reminding me of when I first started boating and went on the oxford summit....think it's the lack of other moving boats and how peaceful it is.

Once again many thanks....I hope to get a pic at the head of navigation!

Cheers

Gareth

I think many people avoid The Chesterfield in late summer due to the weed. I am not aware of it being especially bad this year but as we only arrived on the canal oursleves this year and have not yet explored I have nothing to compare it with. One person will complain and give up long before another and the shape of the boat hull, size and type of prop, power of engine and experience of steerer will all combine to mean that no two people will share the same experience.

2 years ago it was dire - the extremely wet summer meant that nutrients washed into the canal helped the weed to flourish. We have had a lot of wet weather recently and this could have contributed.

Don't get too excited about a photo of the head of navigation as it is just a bricked up tunnel in a cutting! It is worth a walk along the Cuckoo way when you get there. walk up the big hill at Kiveton Park and look across Kiverton waters (which will be a marina when the canal reaches it) In fact if you have time a wander further, under the M1 gives a great idea of where the canal will go as restoration continues.

I read a report from The Chesterfield Canal Partnership only last week in which they are setting out their plans for getting the stretch of canal up to Kiveton Waters underway. It makes very positive reading and it does make me feel that within the next couple of years there may well be the sort of progress that people can see in this area. I am telling you this so you can plan to come back again in a couple of years time and take another photo of the new head of navigation :)

ETA I have been told that the people who moved Seth Ellis" trip boat last week commented it had been a long day. They did not mention any weed. They are extremely experienced boaters who know The Chesterfield very well though and so perhaps they did not feel the need to mention weed ;)

We went to Kiverton Park end of July last year (and in 2011) and the weed, although bad below Forest Locks was nothing to worry about above. It was a half-day of hard slog to Forest Locks, but after that it was fine. The stretch above Worksop has the finest scenery, so it's worth the effort.

There are other navigations (ha) with much worse weed, if you want some consolation.

I will be interested to know if the weed is bad by chesterfield standards or I've just become used to having it easy!.

About average this year, at least it was from our mooring to Clayworth.

It would be a huge shame if you did not go to the top as that is the prettiest bit.

Not sure the weed cutters help much, they chop it up but it soon grows up again. Bit of dredging wouldn't go amiss.

I have to agree about the top being the prettiest bit, it really is worth battling the weed for.

Normally when you get past Forest top lock and under the bridge the weed tends to be less of a problem, until you get nearer Manton. This was area dredged last year so should be better than it was. Keep going it is well worth the effort, as other people have said the section above Shireoaks is breath-taking. There are single, double and triple locks all close together set in scenery that makes it hard to believe you are so close to Sheffield/Rotherham.

I have now had a further reply.

I understand that the weedcutters were working in the Ranby area in early June.

The concerns that a visitor may not make it to the head of navigation have been passed to Seán McGinley (CRT Waterways Manager for East Midlands). He responded that he will look into it and get back to us.

Seán is always keen to learn about issues that are causing problems on his stretch and so people really need to email or call CRT if they are experiencing problems with weed so CRT appreciate severity of the problem and in what areas it is causing the most concern.

A couple of years ago when the problem was so severe due to freak weather they actually set up a line for people to call and report islands of weed when they saw them!

• Greenie 1

Share nicely children ;)

I was led to believe that the guys who do The Witham do sometimes come and do The Chesterfield as well so even if it is one of those I don't think it will be setting a precedent.

Some time ago when BW were selling off some of their old plant Chesterfield Canal Trust wanted to buy a weedcutter from them. It's primary use was for the non joined up section where there is only one boat moving regularly. Derbyshire County Council who are the navigation authority for that part would not allow it. I think the problem was with insurance for operating it?

I somehow think that if they had bought it then CRT might have been happy to have some CCT volunteers operate it on their bit but I suspect the whole health and safety issue would not bear thinking about!

Wow! That's amazing service!

We are now tied up at shireoaks marina. The weed was indeed miles better above forest locks and we made normal progress from then on.....we met one of the weed cutters at Kilton lock who was doing a grand job....he said they had just done the stretch from forest locks to Worksop and were turning round to go and do the stretch below forest. They seemed a great couple of guys and asked if we would report back to them about the weed going up to the head of navigation on our way back.

I hadn't seen anything moving all day until we decided to do a self pump out at Worksop SS (stop moaning at the back!) when of course we met both the canal society's Trip boats coming down the lock.....it seems our fame had gone before us!....I did apologise for being moored a bit in the way but they got past with no problems.

So many thanks to all concerned....we are spending the night here then heading up the rest of the locks tomorrow and whilst I can recommend the canal please don't all come as it's lovely not to have queues at locks and be able to moor on visitor moorings!

Cheers

Gareth

WELL DONE ALL!!! I am very pleased for you....as I said in post #2 you had already got further than I managed in 2011.....I have heat exchanger cooling and wet exhaust and every few minutes the water inlet would partly block making me stop the engine...you couldn't get to the bank to moor so by the time you had cleared the blockage you had drifted into the reeds so as soon as you started off again you had some wrapped round the prop. It was the most frustrating and bitterly disappointing part of my travels through Northern waters. Well done to you for persevering and well done to CRT

Glad to hear you are making progress up our closely guarded gem of a backwater :)

Out of interest does weedcutting encourage growth ? Or do aquatic plants react differently to harsh pruning ??

Random thought just popped into my head........

I suppose it depends what type of weed it is?

Blanket weed thrives in warm water with lots of nutrients in it and plenty of light.

I had a random thought a few weeks ago (when we had stopped to clear the prop for the umpteenth time) In garden ponds you can put a small bale of barley straw in the pond. It changes the chemical composition of the pond water so blanket weed does not grow. Now I know this does not seem to harm pond fish or other aquatic plant life in ponds so I started to ponder on the sort of quantity of barley straw you might need for the average canal and whether it would have other negative effects on the wildlife or not

The irises and reeds multiply through the rhizomes - bits of root you often see floating past. I think they need to get lodged somewhere to get roots down to start growing but the cutters take all the rhizomes out when they pick them up so I don't imagine it makes them grow faster. It can mean disturbing them makes more rhizomes break off of course.

Was at Shireoaks this afternoon getting the boat ready for its maiden voyage. Went round to chat with Franger. Lovely to meet you both, enjoy your trip up to Leeds.

Just about set for our trip on Sunday. Just got to have the water pressure reduction fitted to the Thetford loo. Otherwise we will spread the contents of the pan around the bathroom!!

Was at Shireoaks this afternoon getting the boat ready for its maiden voyage. Went round to chat with Franger. Lovely to meet you both, enjoy your trip up to Leeds.

Just about set for our trip on Sunday. Just got to have the water pressure reduction fitted to the Thetford loo. Otherwise we will spread the contents of the pan around the bathroom!!

Good to meet you too! Have fun on your maiden trip...follow the lockies advice and the tideway is a doddle...forgot to say have you got a set of the Boating association charts? If not I would highly recommend them.

Cheers

Gareth

Good to meet you too! Have fun on your maiden trip...follow the lockies advice and the tideway is a doddle...forgot to say have you got a set of the Boating association charts? If not I would highly recommend them.

Cheers

Gareth

Yes I bought the charts for the tidal Trent from Neil the lockie at West Stockwith. Better to be armed with all the info. Cheers Mike