Credit Where Its Due

Featured Posts

Its always said "if you want a good job doing then ask a busy man"

We were due for re-blacking and after phoning around very early this year, it was down to three possibe 'yards'

Pillings Lock Marina

Nottingham Castle

Trevethicks Notingham

Newark marina was discounted very early on when they told me that the lift out, jet wash, blacking and drop back in would cost £1000 labour + materials and would be completed within 8 hours

Pillings lock was discounted when it came to light that they sabotaged boats where the owner owed PLM money - I contacted them when the accusation came to light and they agreed they had removed parts to stop the boats being 'stolen'

I eventually decided on Trevethicks, a boatyard that has been there since the late 1700's (when the canal was opened, It was taken over by the Trevethick famly in 1985, and the present owner about 30 years ago) and have a fantastic name for wooden boat building and engineering. We planned to have the blacking done early April when the Holme Lock repairs were finished at the end of March.

Contacted Trevethicks boatyard to be informed that the earliest possible date they could fit me in was the 6th June (which as it happened tied in nicely with the revised re-opening of Holme Lock).

They asked us to arrive Thursday night, so they could dock and start Friday morning, I asked what he programme was to be told - goes in Friday and comes out the following Friday.

Friday morning into the dry dock, jet wash and visual inspection, telephone report on hull, sterngear and anodes.

Saturday - any further loose old-blacking removed by chisel, awkward areas, crinkles, joints, weed-hatch, corners etc applied by brush

Sunday - 1st coat of blacking applied to hull

Monday - 2nd coat of 'awkward areas' applied by brush

Tuesday - 2nd coat of blacking applied to hull

Wednesday 3rd coat of blacking applied to hull - particularly extra thick around the waterline.

Thursday - apply 'touch-up' wherever necessary.

Friday - 8am fill dry dock and 'float-out'.

They did an excellent job - paid strict attention to all the 'fiddly bits' and basically did what they said they would do.

Cost (for a 45 footer) £400 all in (materials, labour, dry dock and VAT)

You can stay on board whilst they do the work (electricity available at £2 per week, water and toilets)

You can hire the dock for DIY at £190 per Friday - Friday.

It is a 'double' dry dock in is booked for approximately 3 to 4 months in advance and already booked for 8 weeks for next Summer.

Thank you Ian for a great job !!!!!

CAM00042_zps1f772078.jpg

CAM00048_zps6c56af7e.jpg

CAM00052_zpsf1cd30a0.jpg

CAM00062_zps9e95ed78.jpg

Its always said "if you want a good job doing then ask a busy man"

We were due for re-blacking and after phoning around very early this year, it was down to three possibe 'yards'

Pillings Lock Marina

Nottingham Castle

Trevethicks Notingham

Newark marina was discounted very early on when they told me that the lift out, jet wash, blacking and drop back in would cost £1000 labour + materials and would be completed within 8 hours

Pillings lock was discounted when it came to light that they sabotaged boats where the owner owed PLM money - I contacted them when the accusation came to light and they agreed they had removed parts to stop the boats being 'stolen'

I eventually decided on Trevethicks, a boatyard that has been there since the late 1700's (when the canal was opened, It was taken over by the Trevethick famly in 1985, and the present owner about 30 years ago) and have a fantastic name for wooden boat building and engineering. We planned to have the blacking done early April when the Holme Lock repairs were finished at the end of March.

Contacted Trevethicks boatyard to be informed that the earliest possible date they could fit me in was the 6th June (which as it happened tied in nicely with the revised re-opening of Holme Lock).

They asked us to arrive Thursday night, so they could dock and start Friday morning, I asked what he programme was to be told - goes in Friday and comes out the following Friday.

Friday morning into the dry dock, jet wash and visual inspection, telephone report on hull, sterngear and anodes.

Saturday - any further loose old-blacking removed by chisel, awkward areas, crinkles, joints, weed-hatch, corners etc applied by brush

Sunday - 1st coat of blacking applied to hull

Monday - 2nd coat of 'awkward areas' applied by brush

Tuesday - 2nd coat of blacking applied to hull

Wednesday 3rd coat of blacking applied to hull - particularly extra thick around the waterline.

Thursday - apply 'touch-up' wherever necessary.

Friday - 8am fill dry dock and 'float-out'.

They did an excellent job - paid strict attention to all the 'fiddly bits' and basically did what they said they would do.

Cost (for a 45 footer) £400 all in (materials, labour, dry dock and VAT)

You can stay on board whilst they do the work (electricity available at £2 per week, water and toilets)

You can hire the dock for DIY at £190 per Friday - Friday.

It is a 'double' dry dock in is booked for approximately 3 to 4 months in advance and already booked for 8 weeks for next Summer.

Thank you Ian for a great job !!!!!

CAM00042_zps1f772078.jpg

CAM00048_zps6c56af7e.jpg

CAM00052_zpsf1cd30a0.jpg

CAM00062_zps9e95ed78.jpg

I think we saw you in there as we passed a couple of times. Good place apparently, though we've never managed to get a slot for CN. Friends have for their boat though, and they too commend the service they received.

Hi

I've only done one job in their yard, but I was very impressed with their standards of old style craftsmanship, proper boatbuilders IMHO. A colleague who sometimes works on boats there commissioned a new front door and frame from them for his house and the standard of workmanship was excellent!

Many yards haul out boats, pressure wash them, apply a coat of blacking and them put them back in before the stuff has cured, something I've seen many times. Not the case at all there - if you need a conscientious quality job, you could do much worse.....

Cheers

Dave