Cruising a 70footer by myself?

Marjorie

Featured Posts

Pardon me for completely clogging up the forums with my questions. I'll try and stop, but this one feels important.

I've spotted a boat which I think could be a possibility, but she's longer than I really wanted - 70' to be exact.

Engine/ power/ water set up seems sensible on first glance (we haven't actually met her yet, so haven't seen anything in the flesh), and the layout is spot on (pretty much what I would have done myself) - with the exception, of course, of the 15' odd of extra space, which wouldn't hurt, I suppose (I know it would restrict some bits of the network, but we probably wouldn't have her forever). I also realise that a longer boat is more expensive to run. I need to do the maths properly to see if it's genuinely viable, but on first glance, that works too.

The question I have no idea how to answer is: if I were by myself (which I will be for a good percentage of time, I think), should I be able to cruise her, and all that entails (locks/ mooring/ maybe the odd swing bridge/ etc etc) alone, or is she likely to be too much to handle because she's big?

I single handed a 70 footer for years and found it easier than shorter boats.

They fit in locks better, moving about less.

They go in a straight line better so long cruises are more relaxing.

They don't bob about or wander off so much when mooring up so you're not fighting ropes and boat whilst trying to get a mooring stake hammered in.

All boats are "weightless" when floating so as long as you learn to use your engine to start and stop the boat, rather than yourself, there are no real disadvantages to a longer boat but plenty of advantages.

You also get more room to fit mates in so you don't have to single-hand all the time.

Edited by carlt

I single handed a 70 footer for years and found it easier than shorter boats.

They fit in locks better, moving about less.

They go in a straight line better so long cruises are more relaxing.

They don't bob about or wander off so much when mooring up so you're not fighting ropes and boat whilst trying to get a mooring stake hammered in.

All boats are "weightless" when floating so as long as you learn to use your engine to start and stop the boat, rather than yourself, there are no real disadvantages to a longer boat but plenty of advantages.

You also get more room to fit mates in so you don't have to single-hand all the time.

As a novice, the only boat I've steered was 70ft and it was a piece of cake. smile.png

I was REALLY hoping I would get those sorts of responses - she's beautiful. I know I've only seen pictures, but that boat thing seems to have happened, where you turn you into a giggling teenager. Don't worry, I won't go and see her by myself, I'll take someone who isn't smitten so they can be sensible on my behalf.

I was also thinking that I might see if that nice sounding Linda Matthews lady (or someone like her) would come with me for the first few days/ week, whatever boat I end up with, so I don't panic and do stupid things as a result (I'm perfectly capable most of the time, but not much confidence).

Edited by Marjorie

Not entirely sure I agree with Carl on the weightless point. Mooring singlehanded will involve a centreline, and 70' is a handful in even a light breeze - but everything else he says is spot on, particularly locking on your own. Left in gear in tickover will keep you clear of the cill and gentle use of the paddles either going up or down will reduce banging about.

Slightly off topic- you mentioned a longer boat is more expensive to run- but also to maintain. Apart from the handling question, there are some significant extra costs:- painting and blacking cost by the foot. Licence and moorings if you dont CC will be more expensive- plus if you do want moorings- are there any 70ft ones in your area? Individually the costs may not seem much- but add them up to be sure. It's also a lot more boat to maintain internally and externally

Thinking ahead-Is a 70ft more difficult to sell on- I don't know but someone will

Someone else will be along who says the size will restrict you- but that depends where you want to go

ps- Is it the one with the radiator in the stern that you posted earlier?

Edited by Woodstock

Slightly off topic- you mentioned a longer boat is more expensive to run- but also to maintain. Apart from the handling question, there are some significant extra costs:- painting and blacking cost by the foot. Licence and moorings if you dont CC will be more expensive- plus if you do want moorings- are there any 70ft ones in your area? Individually the costs may not seem much- but add them up to be sure. It's also a lot more boat to maintain internally and externally

Thinking ahead-Is a 70ft more difficult to sell on- I don't know but someone will

Someone else will be along who says the size will restrict you- but that depends where you want to go

ps- Is it the one with the radiator in the stern that you posted earlier?

I was wrapping running costs and maintenance into one because I'm lazy. You're absolutely right, everything that is length related will cost more, I know. I'll have to do my maths carefully so I don't mess it up. I don't want moorings, but someone I met a few weeks back with a 68 footer did say that being long is a pain in the bum when you need to get into a marina for whatever reason, which is worth a bit of consideration (although I don't know how often that would happen in real life).

No, it's not the one with the radiator in the stern ;) I still don't know quite what I think about that one, but pretty sure she's not for me.

Not entirely sure I agree with Carl on the weightless point. Mooring singlehanded will involve a centreline, and 70' is a handful in even a light breeze - but everything else he says is spot on, particularly locking on your own. Left in gear in tickover will keep you clear of the cill and gentle use of the paddles either going up or down will reduce banging about.

I can't speak for carlt,

But I read in to it as meaning, there is little difference between say a 70ft boat & say a 40ft boat in terms of actual weight whilst on the water in a canal, you can still push, pull or move the bow or stern with a good shove.

I would hope most boats are 'Positive Buoyant'

Though.

As far as the OPs comments ref clogging up the forum ect, I for one welcome most of the threads you've posted so far,, they are amongst the few that havnt declined into Arguments and personal insults or UN-necessary Name calling by some members.

Well done you.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

I don't want moorings, but someone I met a few weeks back with a 68 footer did say that being long is a pain in the bum when you need to get into a marina for whatever reason, which is worth a bit of consideration

If it has a pump-out toilet then you are going to need to get into marinas, possibly tight spaces, etc (or find a passing pump-out boat) on a failrly regular basis.

I can't speak for carlt,

But I read in to it as meaning, there is little difference between say a 70ft boat & say a 40ft boat in terms of actual weight whilst on the water in a canal, you can still push, pull or move the bow or stern with a good shove.

I would hope most boats are 'Positive Buoyant'

Though.

I'm not sure how much Engelina weights (the one we're fitting out now), but she's 54x6 metres, so somewhere in between 'really loads' and 'very much indeed' is probably a good estimate. By far and away my most favourite thing about her is that when the tide is up and the wind is down, I can push her around ALL BY MYSELF!!!

Can't do that on land ;)

As far as the OPs comments ref clogging up the forum ect, I for one welcome most of the threads you've posted,, they are amongst the few that havnt declined into Arguments and personal insults or UN-necessary Name calling.

Well done you.

Well, that's good. I usually loose at name calling games, so I try to steer clear.

I have never used a centre line in 30 odd years of boating because they create more problems than they solve and my 28 foot cruiser was much more of a pain in windy conditions then any full length boat I've cruised.

If it has a pump-out toilet then you are going to need to get into marinas, possibly tight spaces, etc (or find a passing pump-out boat) on a failrly regular basis.

That's true. It's cassette though.

(one cassette toilet for that big a boat seemed odd initially, but then, you don't wee more because your house is bigger, do you).

I have never used a centre line in 30 odd years of boating because they create more problems than they solve and my 28 foot cruiser was much more of a pain in windy conditions then any full length boat I've cruised.

You don't use a centre line?

I would love to see how that's done (I'm sure you manage it with some style, which I can't yet manage regardless of how many ropes I might have).

then you are going to need to get into marinas, possibly tight spaces, etc (or find a passing pump-out boat) on a failrly regular basis.

If you use your engine properly and ropes if necessary (very rarely) then tight spaces are no problem at all.

It is possible to turn any boat in practically it's own length if throttle and steering are correctly balanced.

The narrow canals were designed for 72' long boats so there are very few places that a full length boat can't cope with.

That's true. It's cassette though.

(one cassette toilet for that big a boat seemed odd initially, but then, you don't wee more because your house is bigger, do you).

You don't use a centre line?

I would love to see how that's done (I'm sure you manage it with some style, which I can't yet manage regardless of how many ropes I might have).

But you do have room for a bigger wine cellar and thats an encouragement to 'produce' more !!

If you use your engine properly and ropes if necessary (very rarely) then tight spaces are no problem at all.

It is possible to turn any boat in practically it's own length if throttle and steering are correctly balanced.

The narrow canals were designed for 72' long boats so there are very few places that a full length boat can't cope with.

Agree 100%, but I was answering Marjories question about how often she would need to enter a marina "in real life"

Agree 100%, but I was answering Marjories question about how often she would need to enter a marina "in real life"

We have a 70' boat and a pump out. The only time we entered a marina in the last year was for diesel at Fazeley

Richard

I wasn't talking about pretend, either.

How many marinas are there that a full length boat won't fit in?

Learn to handle the boat and any marina is possible.

Look at how full length boats cope with the Braunston Rally parade handling the Braunston Turn easily (most of the time), negotiating the marina and then coming out of the wooden bridge exit...often dragging a 72' butty behind them too.

We regularly reverse onto our mooring (linear mooring online) and regularly use the centreline. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong? But I

1) turn 180deg in the winding hole 200yds before the mooring

2) hopefully if I've done 1) right I'm more/less lined up with the narrow channel, straight with respect to the channel, and the boat's no longer turning about its axis

3) commence reversing in a straight line. If I am too far over one side, I end up hitting other moored boats. Too far over the other, I will get stuck since its shallow on the offside

4) as I approach the mooring, make a turn so the stern is angled towards the bank and continue reversing

5) step off with the centre line to pull the boat straight and near the bank

The only way I can see I'd be able to avoid the centreline is if I either had a bowthruster (I don't), or reversed BEYOND the mooring then went into it forwards. And even then, the SU shelf is there so I can't get closer than about 18 inches to the bank. I'd need to place the boat very accurately, or have long arms, or take a large jump onto the boat, to avoid using the centre line. With the centre line its easy - get approx there, jump off with centre line, pull boat into mooring and stationary.

Also, during going up broad/deep locks, some of them don't flow the 'conventional' way - I tie the boat up using the centreline at an angle. How would you suggest in this situation I do the locks without it? PS one of the locks doesn't have a ladder either, just to make things more interesting.

I think "learn to handle the boat" is key here, isn't it. I am prone to panic, which is in turn makes me prone to mistakes (generally not dreadful ones, but you'd rather it didn't happen in the first place, wouldn't you). However, I am not like that in the car, which Dominic likes to point out is a much more dangerous proposition - but that's because I'm a relatively confident driver.

I think "learn to handle the boat" is key here, isn't it. I am prone to panic, which is in turn makes me prone to mistakes (generally not dreadful ones, but you'd rather it didn't happen in the first place, wouldn't you). However, I am not like that in the car, which Dominic likes to point out is a much more dangerous proposition - but that's because I'm a relatively confident driver.

You (and everyone else on the road, I'd hope) took driving lessons (perhaps informally eg from parent) then a driving test. No such test or licence is required on the canals.

I think "learn to handle the boat" is key here, isn't it.

Yes it is.

If you want to know what handling a 70' boat is like, I'm sure we can organise a trip out on our boat for you

Richard

Yes it is.

If you want to know what handling a 70' boat is like, I'm sure we can organise a trip out on our boat for you

Richard

Oh, that would be brilliant! These forums are WAY better than real life ;)

Except that Kenilworth is kinda far...

Would it be a faux pas to ask to have a go on a boat you are viewing to buy?

We regularly reverse onto our mooring (linear mooring online) and regularly use the centreline.

get approx there, jump off with centre line, pull boat into mooring and stationary.

Also, during going up broad/deep locks, some of them don't flow the 'conventional' way - I tie the boat up using the centreline at an angle. How would you suggest in this situation I do the locks without it? PS one of the locks doesn't have a ladder either, just to make things more interesting.

Not necessarily wrong but I try not to get "approx there", I'd rather stop the boat "there" using the engine and rudder to do the work but if I really need lines then fore and aft ones are far easier than a centre line.

I don't tie my boat up in a narrow lock and wrap fore and aft lines loosely in broad locks and I never use a lock ladder preferring to be off the boat before it's in the lock.

Would it be a faux pas to ask to have a go on a boat you are viewing to buy?

I wouldn't be a serious customer until after I've had a test run.

Oh, that would be brilliant! These forums are WAY better than real life wink.png

Except that Kenilworth is kinda far...

You are going to travel hundreds of miles in your quest until the right boat finds you, what's one more trip?

Richard

Not necessarily wrong but I try not to get "approx there", I'd rather stop the boat "there" using the engine and rudder to do the work but if I really need lines then fore and aft ones are far easier than a centre line.

I don't tie my boat up in a narrow lock and wrap fore and aft lines loosely in broad locks and I never use a lock ladder preferring to be off the boat before it's in the lock.

I'd love to consistently get the boat "there", but sometimes its necessary to do in windy conditions, or with the time pressure of other boats coming and going past the mooring. I still can't work out how a fore line is easier if you can't physically reach it.

I can't see how using 2 lines is going to be quicker/better than using one line in a broad lock. Sounds like more messing around, and without the centre line, which can be thrown up onto the lock side, would need a walk through the boat to throw the fore line up, etc etc.

I'd love to consistently get the boat "there", but sometimes its necessary to do in windy conditions, or with the time pressure of other boats coming and going past the mooring. I still can't work out how a fore line is easier if you can't physically reach it.

I can't see how using 2 lines is going to be quicker/better than using one line in a broad lock. Sounds like more messing around, and without the centre line, which can be thrown up onto the lock side, would need a walk through the boat to throw the fore line up, etc etc.

Be careful not to confuse 'I can't do it' with 'it can't be done'

I'm still learning

Richard