Improving onboard Mobile communications

KJT

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, mross said:

Skyroam, available from Amazon or Expansys, offers unlimited mobile data for 10 Euros a day.  Does not need a SIM card.  I don't have one but it might be good for a business.

There's a little publicised problem with Skyroam. Namely that if you go over 100MB/day you'll be knocked down to 128kbps. Without that throttling user tests generally only achieve up to 5MBps, so it's a pretty slow service all ways round. 

Is that true today?  I think they might have had to relax that policy.  I emailed them to see which UK carriers they support and I will ask about that when they get back to me.  The reviews on Amazon are quite good.  But advertised D/L is only 1MBps!

10 minutes ago, mross said:

Is that true today?  I think they might have had to relax that policy.  I emailed them to see which UK carriers they support and I will ask about that when they get back to me.  The reviews on Amazon are quite good.  But advertised D/L is only 1MBps!

It might have changed. I'll be interested in what you find out. 

The only one who mentioned anything about speed in the first dozen reviews appears to confirm that it's both slow and then throttled above a certain limit. That was in this month, so a current review. He gave it 3 stars. 

"Do you slow my data connection?
With each Skyroam daily service package or "
globaldaypass," you get 24-hours of unlimited internet on up to 5 devices. There is absolutely no data cutoff! Each 24-hour daypass provides access to the fastest network globally (HSPA+) ,with speeds up to a 3G/4G hybrid. This may vary from country-to-country depending on local data networks. 

Thedaypass is modeled to provide the best possible experience to Skyroam customers, so the vast majority of users only get fastest speeds. If there is high usage (over 500MB) within 24-hours, the connection with go to a lighter 2G speed, which is great for e-mail, web surfing, social media, apps, messaging, and WiFi calling. Data always resets with the next global daypass.  

Note: Skyroam is not optimized for video services like YouTube, Netflix or other heavy streaming activities."

Edited by mross

• 2 months later...

Anyone tried using a 3 all you can eat data sim in a 4G router? I feel like it's probably locked out by an IMEI number to stop it working as it's really designed as phone tariff and would therefore make the obscene cost of mobile broadband tariffs pointless.... Very unlikely but I'm curious to know!

1 minute ago, Chris J said:

Anyone tried using a 3 all you can eat data sim in a 4G router? I feel like it's probably locked out by an IMEI number to stop it working as it's really designed as phone tariff and would therefore make the obscene cost of mobile broadband tariffs pointless.... Very unlikely but I'm curious to know!

Tried it in a 3-locked dongle.  Detected and shut down within a minute.  I usb tether the phone (a cheap 4g model) to a unlocked nano wifi/router and it does the trick - no tethering detected in a couple of years.

Don't know if it is coincidence but my phone on windows 8 would tether fine, but when I upgraded to windows 10, the network will not let the phone connect to data if it is in tether mode.  Damn phone grassed me up to the network operator, so now I shall get a TP Link 4G router and data sim.

In case anyone's interested...

I've been analysing our wifi speeds since March while cruising the Coventry, T&M, Shroppie, Llangollen, Middlewich, Macclesfield, Peak Forest, and now Huddersfield Narrows using EE.

On average, of more than 70 results (using http://beta.speedtest.net,) download is 28.76 mG, upload is 21.46, and the ping is 43.68

We use the EE dongle http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi-mini/details

On the back of the dongle we've stuck one of those velcro stickers for hanging pictures, with a velcro sticker on side windows, and front door (haven't got a glass window on the stern). We move the dongle around (using the velcro stickers) when we moor up, so the dongle is facing, as near as possible, the signal mast.  

Must admit, while passing a wifi mast we get excited, wondering if the spot was a good place to moor up.

Hope I can upload our results using .csv formt

speedtests-2017-05-21-113611.csv

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Do you mean 4G speeds (as opposed to wifi)? If 28.76 is 28Mbits/s, then Id say thats pretty good.

Yes, you're right.  Terminology isn't my strong point lol

The other day we actually had 5 bar 4G - that was 'somewhere' on the HNC.

Just to add, results say "MEGABITS" so no confusion :)

Edited by Jennifer McM

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

Yes, you're right.  Terminology isn't my strong point lol

The other day we actually had 5 bar 4G - that was 'somewhere' on the HNC.

Mobile internet speeds and coverage have improved a lot over the last few years. I use EE too,and its a pretty good service.I remember the early days of mobile internet on the boat,not somewhere I'd like to return to.

It grieves me though that EE don't pass on unused quota/data to the next month, there have been a couple of times I've run out.  Virgin I believe are running-on any unused quota/data to the next month - perhaps EE won't be too long behind?

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

It grieves me though that EE don't pass on unused quota/data to the next month, there have been a couple of times I've run out.  Virgin I believe are running-on any unused quota/data to the next month - perhaps EE won't be too long behind?

Yeah, me to , although I have trouble using 32GB /month, so if it were rolled over I suppose I would have even more trouble.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Three don't roll over either. I think (hope) that as the coverage settles down competition might force them all into rolling it over for at least one month. 

On 21 May 2017 at 13:41, rusty69 said:

Yeah, me to , although I have trouble using 32GB /month, so if it were rolled over I suppose I would have even more trouble.

I fly through my data unfortunately. I guess I never realised quite so much as have always had unlimited. I did 60GB last month and was still out before my renewal. 

4 minutes ago, Chris J said:

I fly through my data unfortunately. I guess I never realised quite so much as have always had unlimited. I did 60GB last month and was still out before my renewal. 

60GB, blimey, you must do a lot of downloading or video games or something 

Edited by rusty69

Gigglebites,meggabites, terrorbites and all that is unheard of in central Africa. They use the ''Gorillabite and the smaller Chimpbite'', they will roll over if you keep tickling their tummy.  The Himalayas have similar data that rolls over too if you tickle its tummy, its known as the Yetibite.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Chris J said:

You must watch internet TV? We've two dongles, bought at different times, 65 mg gets hammered through watching footie on 'dubious' websites (not by me I might add). I usually use the 32 mg dongle, and for some reason, recently the 32 mg appears to be lasting, which isn't so in a marina, that make me suspicious that perhaps somehow it's leaking (sorry shouldn't mention the work 'leaking' it's very insensitive of me lol - says she who's currently moored up in a boatyard because of a leak!). For some reason, when in a marina the data just goes very quickly.  

Is there such a thing as software that 'pirates' data do you know?

Edited by Jennifer McM
to make sense of a sentence

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Is there such a thing as software that 'pirates' data do you know?

Have you got automatic updates turned on?Some windows updates take quite a lot of data.

Either that or Captain Jack Sparrow has been piggy backing off your connection(or the captain of the BlackPig, now what was his name?)

Edited by rusty69

Just now, rusty69 said:

Have you got automatic updates turned on?Some windows updates take quite a lot of data.

Either that or Captain Jack Sparrow has been piggy backing off your connection

Yes, automatic updates have been turned off.  

Captain Jack I'm sure is up to no good lol!  I'm just being paranoid!  

36 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Either that or Captain Jack Sparrow has been piggy backing off your connection(or the captain of the BlackPig, now what was his name?)

Captain Pugwash.