Vetus bow thruster brushes - At GOOD prices!

Featured Posts

Hi there,

The brushes on my Vetus 55kgf Type R125/3 from October 2001 has gone and I'm trying to replace them.

I've still not got over the shock of £156 from Vetus.

Please see this link

http://www.vetus-shop.com/carbon-brush-set-for-vetus-thruster-bow50-55-andamp-60-p-2675.html

I've looked online and there are others with same dimensions - except 27.5mm it is 28.5mm - which should give me an extra mm of life.

Check this link from a German company - these are BOSCH brushes.

http://www.kohlebuersten-gomes.eu/epages/MGE.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MGE/Products/BSX-33

Can anyone tell me if these will work? and if not, why not?

The difference in price is €14.92 with small shipping cost from Germany - or £156.82 from a Vetus retailer.

Thanks for your help beforehand.

If this works - then anyone should be able to get them for that money - and so hopefully Vetus will come down with their prices?

I've looked at the part you mentioning above - Bosch 1007014107, BSX-34, 9*20*28.5 - but I believe this to be for 24V.

Again - I know nothing about brushes - and when I looked at the 24V and the 12V they were all the same to me.

Not sure what the difference is - is it the material - is the leads.

I will give those people from http://www.carbonbrush.co.uk/ a call tomorrow and see if they can help.

I'm so very sorry for J R ALSOP mother - to have her head replaced 5 times is more than an insult - surely you cannot be that ugly?

I've looked at the part you mentioning above - Bosch 1007014107, BSX-34, 9*20*28.5 - but I believe this to be for 24V.

How did you get that information- was it just from a Google search? You might be right. I can't even remember who gave me that part number.

Vetus parts are notoriously expensive, and you have found a good example of this CptnKirk.

I don't believe that the voltage is relevant since carbon brushes are used in both low voltage and mains motors. I have successfully made brushes for both by sanding larger brushes and profiling them with a fine sandpaper wrapped round the commutator. Easy but very messy.

When replacing brushes, blow out all the carbon dust that will have accumulated in the motor. It is conductive and can cause mayhem, particularly in high voltage motors.

Have a look at

http://www.autospark.eu/starter-brushes/bosch/bsx34-gebe

On that page you see that these brushes are for 24V.

My first link above (on the German website) - that part is for 12V.

I would not know what the difference in these brushes are?

If anyone can inform me?

If the brushes are the correct dimensions, then the motor's voltage is immaterial I believe.

Vetus parts are notoriously expensive, and you have found a good example of this CptnKirk.

I don't believe that the voltage is relevant since carbon brushes are used in both low voltage and mains motors. I have successfully made brushes for both by sanding larger brushes and profiling them with a fine sandpaper wrapped round the commutator. Easy but very messy.

When replacing brushes, blow out all the carbon dust that will have accumulated in the motor. It is conductive and can cause mayhem, particularly in high voltage motors.

I think you'll find that the 24 v brushes have one tail and the 12 V brushes have two tails (higher current for the same power).

I think you'll find that the 24 v brushes have one tail and the 12 V brushes have two tails (higher current for the same power).

The ones that CptnKirk provided links for both had two tails. Current can usually flow via the brush holders as well as these 'tails'. But it's certainly a point worth looking at.

Hello All,

YYYYEEEESSSSS - it works and it cost me a total of €18.82

So the link that I've put there - namely http://www.kohlebuersten-gomes.eu/epages/MGE.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/MGE/Products/BSX-33 - I went ahead last Friday and ordered a pair for €14.92 plus €3.90 shipping. I paid with Paypal - no hassle at all.

It arrived yesterday (Tuesday) in a jiffy bag and went today to the boat to try it and check it out.

They fitted perfect with no trouble at all - and presto - the girlie button is working again.

The price from Vetus was just to high (10x normal price) to just go ahead and not look at other options.

To me its a total rip off and hope the no one ever buys brushes from Vetus ever again.

If this had not worked I was even contemplating and having other bowthruster fitted.

I've told the Vetus guys at Crick boat show that they are WWWWAAAAAYYYYY to expensive - where the answer was, "You get what you pay for!".

So you can imagine how glad I am that I'm no longer contributing to this salesman's salary.

I hope this thread will be used all the time and the guy in Germany gets loads of orders - they where fast and efficient.

I'm a happy man again - although boating without the girly button is also fun.

Kirk over and out.

I've just ordered brushes from Autospark and they told me the ones I needed for my 12v 95kgf thruster we're BSX35. These look like they only have two tails unlike Rays which have 3?

http://www.autospark.eu/starter-brushes/bosch/bsx35-gebe

I've paid about 39 euros including shipping.

It's about time I changed them, it's been 9 years!

Edited by blackrose

I've just ordered brushes from Autospark and they told me the ones I needed for my 12v 95kgf thruster we're BSX35. These look like they only have two tails unlike Rays which have 3?

http://www.autospark.eu/starter-brushes/bosch/bsx35-gebe

I've paid about 39 euros including shipping.

It's about time I changed them, it's been 9 years!

I'm not sure why you paying that much?

The link you show is €14.07 - so the shipping must cost about €25 ????

The guy in Germany also sells these for €15.13 with a shipping cost of €3.90

http://www.kohlebuersten-gomes.eu/BSX-35

This would have made a total of €19.03 - thus half the price again.

But maybe I just got my sums wrong.

Would like to know if I have?

I'm not sure why you paying that much?

The link you show is 14.07 - so the shipping must cost about 25 ????

The guy in Germany also sells these for 15.13 with a shipping cost of 3.90

http://www.kohlebuersten-gomes.eu/BSX-35

This would have made a total of 19.03 - thus half the price again.

But maybe I just got my sums wrong.

Would like to know if I have?

You need to multiply the cost of the brushes x 2 (a motor needs 2 brushes). However it does appear that I am paying too much for shipping.

Edited by blackrose

You need to multiply the cost of the brushes x 2 (a motor needs 2 brushes). However it does appear that I am paying too much for shipping.

They come in a pack of 4 brushes for €15.13

If you buy 2 packs, then you will get 8 brushes.

If you only need 2 brushes - then one pack is more than enough as you will be left with 2 brushes.

Regards CptnKirk

They come in a pack of 4 brushes for €15.13

If you buy 2 packs, then you will get 8 brushes.

If you only need 2 brushes - then one pack is more than enough as you will be left with 2 brushes.

Regards CptnKirk

Yes, I think I may have mistakenly bought 8 brushes - although the Autospark website I bought from says the pack only has 1 piece hence my mistake.

Anyway I think you're supposed to change them every few years so I have about 15 years supply!

Edited by blackrose

• 4 weeks later...

So much for cheaper brushes!

I've just heard back from Solent Tools and they want £47 +VAT to make each brush! My thruster takes 4 brushes so it's probably cheaper for me to go to Vetus.

Solent Tools say that the brush I sent them is made from a very unusual grade of carbon?

I think I read somewhere that it's recommended brushes are changed every couple of years. Mine are 9 years old, but to my untrained eye I think they have plenty of wear left. Does the forum agree? For an idea of scale, the remaining brush length is about 27-29mm.

Edit: The brushes are £106 including VAT and shipping from Vetus (not £114?), so I've just ordered from them. Interestingly, it looks like I've only used about 3-5mm of carbon over 9 years.

http://www.vetus-shop.com/carbon-brush-set-for-vetus-bow95-andamp-125-thrusters-p-3219.html

CAM00126_zpse12503d4.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Didn't you buy some cheaper brushes the other day, why didn't they fit in the end?

£114 for a few blocks of graphite sounds a lot to me!!!

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yes, the other brushes I bought were completely wrong - nowhere near as big. I sent them back for a refund.

£106 actually, it says £114 but when you order they knock 8 quid off for some reason. It's still expensive but cheaper than anywhere else I can find. Anyway, £106 over a decade isn't that bad really.

Edited by blackrose