Canalival 2014 - hurrah it didn't happen

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

It did't happen. Well done CRT, Met police, LB's Hackney & Islington and most of all local boaters and residents who love the Regents Canal. Thank you. PS The cygnets, young coots, moorhens and ducklings also very glad to be alive.

Much love and peace.

https://twitter.com/MPSHackney?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fdebeauvoircouncillors.blogspot.com%2F2014%2F05%2Fcanalival-2014.html&tw_i=471267145427738624&tw_p=tweetembed

Debbi

If you want to know why it was such a big issue check out Ytube Canalival 2013 and other similar links.

Last year, although it looked like fun on the day for the inflatable cruisers, the canal in Hackney looked like a fly tipping site for about a fortnight afterwards. All the rubbish - and this ranged from cans and plastic bottles, broken glass bottles, paddles, deflated inflatables including boats and 'sculptures', discarded food and packaging, vomit - (I'm sure you can imagine the mess) - was left behind by the partygoers. A nightmare for dog walkers, cyclists, boaters and anyone else who wanted to use the canal and towpath. It was all in the water as well as on the path.

The organisers had tried in vain to call it off, ad of course they weren't around for the clear up.

On balance, I think it's better that it didn't go ahead.

It's a shame it couldn't have been organised in a safer and more responsible manner. The organisers could have easily paid for the rubbish to be cleaned up at the end of the day. It looks like a good way for another group of people to enjoy the canal. Can't say it's my cuppa tea but that's no reason why it shouldn't happen.

Dave

It's a shame it couldn't have been organised in a safer and more responsible manner. The organisers could have easily paid for the rubbish to be cleaned up at the end of the day. It looks like a good way for another group of people to enjoy the canal. Can't say it's my cuppa tea but that's no reason why it shouldn't happen.

Dave

As far as I understand, it wasn't a paid event, so no money for clear up. It just wasn't thought through.

From what I read, the organisers couldn't raise enough funds to stage it safely last year, so they cancelled it, but people just turned up anyway?

Hence no clearup afterwards and no supervision on the day as there was, officially, no event. This year, the authorities seem to have learnt from that experience.

I could be wrong, of course, as I wasn't actually round here at the time.

As far as I understand, it wasn't a paid event, so no money for clear up. It just wasn't thought through.

I'm sure they could've rounded up a few volunteers like most illegal rave organisers do.

Just looked at the photos I took last year, and there were boats moored all along that section (although not solidly), so no I don't think they were moved on.

I was cycling past, and took some pics on my phone.

Just looked at the photos I took last year, and there were boats moored all along that section (although not solidly), so no I don't think they were moved on.

They weren't moved on last year...

Perhaps I meant this year

Having viewed the video,I suppose I have mixed views about this.

When I was their age I would have gone along and partied in my inflatable boat, got stoned, got pissed, and stuck two fingers up at the boring old fogeys in their narrowboats who were trying to stop my fun.

Now I am one of those old fogeys I'm not so sure....3131stop.giflaugh.png

If it DOES ever happen again, it needs to be OUT of nesting season and cleared up properly afterwards. The poor birds along there struggle enough against the frequent pollution incidents, last year loads of nests were trashed.........

Having viewed the video,I suppose I have mixed views about this.

When I was their age I would have gone along and partied in my inflatable boat, got stoned, got pissed, and stuck two fingers up at the boring old fogeys in their narrowboats who were trying to stop my fun.

Now I am one of those old fogeys I'm not so sure....3131stop.giflaugh.png

Know what you mean though!

Although if i DID go i recon i'd have to go back the next day and do some rubbish clearing.. hey, maybe that's a plan - have it later in the year as a two-dayer, the saturday par-tay and the sunday clean-up?biggrin.png

I'm sure they could've rounded up a few volunteers like most illegal rave organisers do.

If it had been run by proper free party crew there would've been a litter pick. But it wasn't. I was amused by the article in the DM recently about a free party. In the photos in the article you can clearly see they'd done a litter pick as all the bin bags were there in a line, ready to be loaded into a van.

We've been to boater parties out of town and we've never left a scrap behind.

But Canalival was originally instigated by someone connected with the hipster 'boutique' festival Secret Garden Party. I don't think they ever had any intention of planning it properly (no toilets for instance) and the rumour on the cut is that the crowd sourcing to raise money for it was a big scam. There was no planning.

I did have a bit of sympathy, though. They'd done a smaller festy the year before (Jubillegal) where they'd cruised a papier mache head of the Queen down the canal with a much smaller dinghy flotilla. It was a small event.

But 2013 goes on social media and you get the same situation as you do when a rich teens party goes on Facebook and the whole place gets trashed. Similar happened in Berlin, the Love Parade free festival got really out of hand after a few years and they ended up banning it. That festival was held in the Tiergarten. I went and observed it was basically tens of thousands of people peeing against trees! They had to stop it as the trees were dying!

So I don't think the canal is the place for this. Was I the only one watching the Youtube videos through my hands? Irate narrowboat owners cruising right through a load of bare legged pissed people in dinghies!

Apparently the local filth made all the boats moored up on the effected part of the canal move on.

I think they only moved the floating stage, for obvious reasons. He's inteviewed online somewhere. We love him to bits, he's a nutter but he's really not popular with CRT and bankside residents for obvious reasons.

Edited by Lady Muck