Name your boat?

Miemie

Featured Posts

My boat name is the name my dad called me, and only him. Its what my inheritance went on, he was a engineer and would have loved to be part of all this.

You can change names and there is a thread if you look with loads of advice. Some superstition attached.

Hi ya Miemie (have you found a boat yet)

My last boat was 'Merak' after a star that is always easy to see in the Sky, and helps to point to the North Star.

I changed the Name on my current boat, and yes some Paperwork was involved in both, as they was / Are Both Part 1 Registered Vessels.

Have you got a Name picked out for yours yet !.

Merak was also the surname of the designer of the Aston Martin V8 engine in the 60s...

Changing the name officially was three letters, one to C&RT for yhe licence, one to RSL for the money and one to Towergate for the insurance.

There is a load of supersticion surrounding the renaming so we took advantage of at least trying to leep with the traditions and did it whilst the boar was out being blacked.

We wanted unique and personal, as it was for the previous owners but that was not personal to us. Pretty much anything goes but remember you have to live with it, write it, use it on VHF, etc

No, I shouldn't think so. But it does need to be identified, so boat make and hull identification numbers or similar would serve. So long as they are clearly displayed appropriately on both the Vessel & any Paperwork. I would think something like ' MTB 007 ' might suffice.

If you had a Motor Torpedo Boat !.

OR

' SV 123 '

If you had a Survey Vessel for example.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Does a boat actually have to have a name?

ISTR recall on the Thames the answer to that is yes.

On CRT waters it just needs an index number.

Happy to be corrected on both points.

How did you come by naming your boat is there a reason or a story to it? And if you buy a boat can u just change the name or is there paperwork involved?

Kim

Our boat came with its name, chosen by its previous owners, they ran a boarding kennels in Somerset.

We had planned to change it but it is such a good conversation starter with other boaters and gongoozlers that we kept it.

Yes you can change it to anything you like, just let CRT know.

Ed to add some mysteriously disappearing words.

Edited by The Dog House

Perhaps a fan of the Navy Lark.wink.png

Sorry Miemie did not answer you post.

From our blog:

Like many before us the choosing of a name for our boat came after a fair amount of discussion.

After two years of agreeing to disagree, the subject was dropped, it was decided that a name would appear from the ether.

Oakfield was that name.

When we married, we moved into a one bedroom flat on the top floor of a house in Oakfield Road, West Croydon.

Whilst living there, we did not know that the railway at the bottom of the garden was the route of the Croydon Canal.

We only found this out many years later when our interest in canals started.

The Croydon Canal opened in 1809. It was built over by the railway line from London Bridge to West Croydon in 1836.

The canal only lasted 27 years.

The marriage has lasted a little longer.

So after 37 years we are going full circle.

We are now moving onto a one bedroom boat that is probably just as large as that flat, hence Oakfield.

The number of years have now increased for the circle is now 42. hug.gif

................ but remember you have to live with it, write it, use it on VHF, etc

Some years ago we bought a sea-going boat called Wet-Wet-Wet (you can probably guess the time period)

On the VHF radio you are suppose to repeat your boat name three times when making a call - you can imagine what it sounded like :

"Holyhead Castguard, Holyhead Coastguard, this is fishing boat Wet-Wet-Wet, Wet-Wet-Wet, Wet-Wet-Wet"

We did try just using Wet-Wet-Wet as the 'three times' but the respnse of "Wet - Go ahead" wasnt much better.

Do think what your name will sound like when you call - what can appear funny in discussion can be embarrasing when 100s of boats can overhear your call.

• Greenie 1

Some years ago we bought a sea-going boat called Wet-Wet-Wet (you can probably guess the time period)

On the VHF radio you are suppose to repeat your boat name three times when making a call - you can imagine what it sounded like :

"Holyhead Castguard, Holyhead Coastguard, this is fishing boat Wet-Wet-Wet, Wet-Wet-Wet, Wet-Wet-Wet"

We did try just using Wet-Wet-Wet as the 'three times' but the respnse of "Wet - Go ahead" wasnt much better.

Do think what your name will sound like when you call - what can appear funny in discussion can be embarrasing when 100s of boats can overhear your call.

Yes, I'm sure the owner of "Slipper 1" which I saw on a motor cruiser some years ago lived to regret it, I hope so anyway.

The worst name I've ever seen on a narrrowboat and I still don't understand how he got away with it, is "BUGGERLUGS".

Some say you are tempting fate changing a boat name.

Here's an example: The USS Phoenix was a Brooklyn class light cruiser launched in 1938. She survived the attack on Pearl Harbour with very little damage, (if any) whilst most of the other ships went down.

She was sold to Argentina in 1951 and went into service in the Falklands war and was sunk by the nuclear sub HMS Conqueror.

323 people lost their lives.

If you are superstitious then leave the name or just remove it from the boat and sail blank.

Hi ya Miemie (have you found a boat yet)

My last boat was 'Merak' after a star that is always easy to see in the Sky, and helps to point to the North Star.

I changed the Name on my current boat, and yes some Paperwork was involved in both, as they was / Are Both Part 1 Registered Vessels.

Have you got a Name picked out for yours yet !.

No not yet Paul and have u sold yours yet.

We have been trying names first one is groendakkies (green roofs) the story behind that is in s.a all the mental homes had green roofs and that's what the nick names was for them and we are a mental family lol.... The other one we thinking of is springbokkies (springboks) because that is our sporting name in rugby

No not yet Paul and have u sold yours yet.

We have been trying names first one is groendakkies (green roofs) the story behind that is in s.a all the mental homes had green roofs and that's what the nick names was for them and we are a mental family lol.... The other one we thinking of is springbokkies (springboks) because that is our sporting name in rugby

Hi ya,

I've had one offer that was rejected,

Had another person look at it back on the 16th,

Having it taken out on the 28th for a Full Survey and inspection, and I'm going to take the opportunity to paint the Hull and shine the prop as well, so if you're board come on over with a set of overalls and a roller !.

If no luck by end of June, then will go onto Brokerage at the Full 'Valuation price' to cover the Brokerage costs.

But fully prepared that it might take a while to sell.

It's Great you've picked Names that mean something to you, hope something comes your way soon. Good luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Think the superstition is it has to be out of the water if you want to re name it. As in Androos post there were also a couple of boats in the second world war that were re named and converted to troop carriers. Both were sunk by U boats with tremendos loss of life. As we all know with the sea superstitions probably go back to the dug out canoe

Androo" data-cid="1319860" data-time="1400954526" data-date="Today, 07:02 PM said:

Some say you are tempting fate changing a boat name.

Here's an example: The USS Phoenix was a Brooklyn class light cruiser launched in 1938. She survived the attack on Pearl Harbour with very little damage, (if any) whilst most of the other ships went down.

She was sold to Argentina in 1951 and went into service in the Falklands war and was sunk by the nuclear sub HMS Conqueror.

323 people lost their lives.

If you are superstitious then leave the name or just remove it from the boat and sail blank.

Or just change it.

The last sub that cruised the canals has long since gone.......

BgpCxZB.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Merchant ships get their names changed regularly, often at change of company and at change of flag. It seems to happen more often now than in the past. (but that might be old age talking) Certainly several of the ships I sailed on had been re-named. One of my discharge book entries has a signed on "Assyria" in Liverpool and signed off "Armana" in London!

Sabina H has kept her original name for 85 years and I think she deserves to keep it. Shapfell has been re-named a couple of times and had her name changed again while the last owner was trying to sell her. She now has what I believe is her original name,

Superstitious? possibly a little, Anthropomorphic or not I think ships and boats should have names that suit them and they can carry happily