Name your boat?

Miemie

Featured Posts

We inherited our boats name but it seemed quite fitting so we didn't change it.

Her previous owners had renamed her as she had originally been called I Dunno. That guys next boat was Still Dunno.

We wouldn't dream of renaming Naughty-Cal and we would hope that any future custodians of Cal would also keep the name.

Before I had a boat I had already picked out a name for when I got one & was happy to rename whatever boat I got. When I finally did get a boat, it was called "On Schedule!".

When I spotted the boat I knew straight away it was the boat for me, ticked all the boxes & then some. The timing was perfect as I had to move out from where I was living. What made it even better for me was there was an online blog about the boat detailing everything from the day it was conceived, built, put into the water, fitted out, & everywhere it went right up until the day it went into the brokerage where I bought it from.

All this inspired me with confidence about said boat. As a result I felt it would be just wrong to change the name (I am not superstitious), & so it is still & always will be called "On Schedule!".

Since then my Mum & Sister have bought a boat between them & moored right next to me. They both hate the name of their boat, & have decided to rename it "Running Late", which is very apt for my mother & works well for all of us especially if we are travelling in convoy.

Our old boat was called Sun Quest and we never had it written on the boat because it sounded like a SAGA holiday. When building the new one we never had a name for it and so it became SQ2 which stuck. We proberbly spend an hour a day explaining SQ2 to passers by/ gongoozelers.

A friend of ours has the surname Bell, he chose to call his boat Bells End!

Yes, I'm sure the owner of "Slipper 1" which I saw on a motor cruiser some years ago lived to regret it, I hope so anyway.

The worst name I've ever seen on a narrrowboat and I still don't understand how he got away with it, is "BUGGERLUGS".

My dear departed, sweet and innocent mother used to use that word as a derogatory term about herself - "Buggerlugs here went the wrong way" for example. It wasn't an uncommon word in our family and didn't have any unsavoury connotations. It just meant daft or clueless when she used it. I think it may be a Lancashire word.

"Buggerlugs" moored alongside us at St Neots last summer and the owner's wife kindly baked us biscuits for sharing our mooring. They are from Fettlers Wharf marina at Rufford in Lancashire whilst we overwinter at the nearby St Mary's.

The phrase was a common Lancashire term in my 1950's childhood.

Our own boat name "Bullfinch" was given to the boat in the 1980's and understand, last time we checked, is the only one with that name. It has a striking Keith Pollit airbrush picture now of the bird on the sides.

When I bought the boat it was called Locus Iste. I hadn't heard the music and didn't appreciate it when I did. Thought I would rename it Sidrat as it probably was bigger on the outside than the inside or moneypit but the 1st was taken and the second not in the positive vein so after some stressing o named it after my mother's favourite phrase when I had a stress..... " Non Fa Niente". Effectively " No worries" or " Don't worry" in Italian.

It was amusing to hear some cyclist go8ng down the towpath asking an Italian speaker what it meant and she just kept saying " it doesn't matter " over and over. Another common translation.

Paul

"Buggerlugs" moored alongside us at St Neots last summer and the owner's wife kindly baked us biscuits for sharing our mooring. They are from Fettlers Wharf marina at Rufford in Lancashire whilst we overwinter at the nearby St Mary's.

The phrase was a common Lancashire term in my 1950's childhood.

More on buggerlugs at http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/47722/what-is-the-etymology-of-bugger-lugs

Boat was called Kestrel when we bought it. Rather sad and very neglected. There are lots of Kestrels and we decided to change the name as we went about creating a happier boat. Named after the city we honeymooned in.

Buggerlugs made it down to the midlands in the 70s- I can remember my Gran saying it

Apologies in advance as the next line isn't intended to offend:-

My gran also taught me my favourite song at the time which ended with a line about monkeys running around with their finger up their bums. Can you imagine how I loved that song- It drove my mum to distraction- and it saddens me that I can't remember the words now

ps- The boats called Woodstock, which we inherited not sure if it is named after the musical festival, the bird in peanuts or the town- but we like it

Edited by Woodstock

Bettie's Blessing - In honor of Dave's Mum Elizabeth, who was refereed to as Betty by the Australian arm of the family. She would be so pleased that we used the blessing she bestowed upon us, with her inheritance to purchase our home.

Our boats name was Endeavor when we bought her, we renamed her when she was relaunched at Braunston. With the appropriate Brown stuff provided by the lovely Ray T. of this parish :)

Our boat didn't have a name as it was new when we bought her. It did however have 'Cumbria Narrowboats No1 Kendal' signwritten on the front panel as it was the first boat Cumbria NB's built at their yard at Kendal. We decided to call the boat Kendal No1 which was fitting as we recently moved from Cumbria and it saved on signwritingwink.png

When I bought my boat the previous owner had called it "Cotton Dancer" but I will rename it "Kylemoor" Kyle being my surname and moor as in mooring! Kyle also means narrow or a narrow stretch of water linking two water masses. Planning to rename my boat when I repaint it in the Summer when I get some holiday time off.

My boat has had several names. "Waterdale", "The Merry Pippin" and "Cotton Dancer" so don't feel I should keep the current name.

Jamescheers.gif

Edited by canals are us?

When we came to name our boat I asked the boss, SWMBO, what she thought and without any hesitation she came back with LYRA, the heroine of Philip Pullman's trilogy.

At first quite a few people would ask if that was where the name came from, but these days, as some books go out of fashion, not so often.

Bob

We named our boat Dobie Jade when we bought it in 2010 after our late dog (Doberman) called Jade. Don't know where it is now since we sold it, has anyone seen it as we would be interested to know where it is. 57ft semi trad, dark blue.

Rubble Queen was named after the what the dustbin men used to call her in the 60/70s as she was always filling the bin up with old bricks etc and thinking they wouldn't notice. One day we heard the bin man come in the garden, unable to lift the bin he yells down the road"oye give us a hand The Rubble Queen's been at it again."

Always swore if ever I got a boat it would be named after her, I'm sure she would have approved .

We named our boat Dobie Jade when we bought it in 2010 after our late dog (Doberman) called Jade. Don't know where it is now since we sold it, has anyone seen it as we would be interested to know where it is. 57ft semi trad, dark blue.

She's still around and licenced:

Dobie Jade Built by Keith Wood Narrowboa - Length 17.374 metres ( 57 feet ) - Beam 2.083 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 ( 2 feet ). Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 515414 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on Wednesday 22nd May 2013.

Hi

Thanks for that information. I doubt the Bhp is correct though!!!! Maybe she's been 'superchipped'

Does anyone know where she is at the moment? And is she still in good condition?

The wee mayland has always been called out house mouse. Dad discovered there was a b17 bomber called out house mouse that flew out of bassingbourne. Only a couple of people over the last couple of decades have made the link with the plane and the nose art that now adorns the bow of the boat.

See halfway down this link for more info on the b17 out house mouse. http://www.highironillustrations.com/aviation/fullhouse_1.html

There is a boat with a stupid name in bad taste I keep seeing in and around Birmingham.

It's called "Sloake Hunt".

Yawn.

MtB

At least he won't be speeding past moored craft.

Hi

Thanks for that information. I doubt the Bhp is correct though!!!! Maybe she's been 'superchipped'

Does anyone know where she is at the moment? And is she still in good condition?

Don't know if this is any help but she was in Coventry Basin 2nd December 2013:

14096283210_c1776304e5_c.jpg