The Haywoods pubs

Penelope

Featured Posts

Does anybody know the best pub for a Saturday night in either of the Haywoods?

We have called in over the years for an early evening pint, but we are not usually in longer because we have Lola our dog!

We have our son and his partner on board for the weekend, so need to offer something social, can anyone help?

There is no pub in Haywood that serves after 11:00

Little Haywood

Lambs and Flag

The Lamb and Flag is a quaint little pub that is mainly the country local type, they usually have disco's and live music on a Thursday or Friday. Cheese cobs and other assorted sandwiches are available at the bar. Usually a nice log fire going in the bar too. Its an old 'local' pub. Well worth a visit.

Red Lion/ The Lion

Red Lion I think, or possibly just The Lion - again it is another local pub, somewhat a little more up market. Again assorted cobs at the bar, juke box and usually a good laugh to be had. Fair few different beers.

Great Haywood

Social Club

There is the Social Club which is the last pub to close, there are a few gambling machine things, a bar and usually the old folk. Still not a bad place for a quiet drink. Probably the best prices in Haywood. Again, assorted sandwiches. Usual selection of beers.

Clifford Arms

Only place in Haywood that does food, reasonable wine and pretty waitress's. Steak is usually quite nice, simple yet pleasant menu with a specials board that is a pleasant surprise. Decent portions, not too badly priced - tenner for a steak, chips and salad. Two decent bars and not far from the canal. Decent out door seating area and some half decent beers.

There was another pub up the road called the Fox and Hounds which I believe has now closed.

Should probably also mention that if you go through Shugbrough its possible to get to the Barley Mow which is also a half decent pub chain and there is also a Wimpy and a rather expensive Fish and Chip shop. Its only a 15 minutes walk or short bike ride.

There is no pub in Haywood that serves after 11:00

Little Haywood

Lambs and Flag

The Lamb and Flag is a quaint little pub that is mainly the country local type, they usually have disco's and live music on a Thursday or Friday. Cheese cobs and other assorted sandwiches are available at the bar. Usually a nice log fire going in the bar too. Its an old 'local' pub. Well worth a visit.

Red Lion/ The Lion

Red Lion I think, or possibly just The Lion - again it is another local pub, somewhat a little more up market. Again assorted cobs at the bar, juke box and usually a good laugh to be had. Fair few different beers.

Great Haywood

Social Club

There is the Social Club which is the last pub to close, there are a few gambling machine things, a bar and usually the old folk. Still not a bad place for a quiet drink. Probably the best prices in Haywood. Again, assorted sandwiches. Usual selection of beers.

Clifford Arms

Only place in Haywood that does food, reasonable wine and pretty waitress's. Steak is usually quite nice, simple yet pleasant menu with a specials board that is a pleasant surprise. Decent portions, not too badly priced - tenner for a steak, chips and salad. Two decent bars and not far from the canal. Decent out door seating area and some half decent beers.

There was another pub up the road called the Fox and Hounds which I believe has now closed.

Should probably also mention that if you go through Shugbrough its possible to get to the Barley Mow which is also a half decent pub chain and there is also a Wimpy and a rather expensive Fish and Chip shop. Its only a 15 minutes walk or short bike ride.

A few minor updates/confirmations.

Clifford (my local) 11:00 on Sunday, 11:30 Monday to Thursday, 12:00 Friday & Saturday.

6 "real ales" and good food. Lounge and public bars knocked into one room; there is a bar in the dinning room.

Fox and Hounds closed, some rumours of reopening; but seems unlikely.

Great Haywood Sports and Social club 1 or 2 "real ales" usually 11:00, but later on Saturday.

Red Lion, not been in recently, so probably unchanged.

Lamb and Flag recently had "for sale" signs up again, so pot luck as to whether it's open or not.

The fish & chip shop/cafe at Milford was closed when I passed recently.

Barley Mow & Wimpy bar still going strong.

Milford is best accessed by mooring above Tixal lock.

Edited by Eeyore

The Clifford Arm in Gt Haywood, The Red Lion and the Lamb and Flag in Little Haywood, are all open to you and your dog and are all worth a visit. I've been to them all quite recently. My two dogs and I enjoyed time in them all. Very friendly too.

James