I saw something the other day....

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

I'm not exactly sure what the proper name is, but the two metal bits that you have on your roof that hold your poles and plank/ladder.

Anyway as we were cruising we passed a boat and the guy was putting them on his roof. But the base of them looked like it was made of black rubber and the way it attached to the roof looked to be magnetized.

Now you often hear about hen & stag doos or just generally tipsy folk walking along the tow path after the pubs close, and decide it would be a great laugh to take the barge poles or boot hooks and toss them in the canal.

So I thought, it might be a bit of a deterrent if you could always ensure your poles & plank were on the opposite side of your mooring. As in they would have to actually have to come onto our trad stern in order to have access to the poles / plank ladder

Anyway, two questions.

1) what's the correct name of those metal holder things?

2) has anyone ever seen them with a rubberized / magnetized bottom & where to get them?

Ta

Lookee here:http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34654

Not much help now though. wacko.png

Bit more here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-NARROWBOAT-POLE-BOAT-HOOK-FISH-ROD-BRACKET-/230648606731?nma=true&si=baqIPU5MbICNBAshEIZ0Nk%252BDFBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_713wt_1363

but that doesn't help really either.

Sorry, best I could find.

There's always the Crick boat show this weekend though.

Edited by Ray T

Thanks Ray / BSP, at least I know what they are called now and won't have to ask at the stalls at Crick if they sell the "thingamabobbie's that hold the boat poles/plank/ladder with a rubber/magnetized bottom"

LOL Star, you lot were an abundance of assistance :)

I bought some clear acrylic plastic thingamabobbies that hold boat poles/plank/ladder with a magnetised bottom three or 4 years ago. They were rubbish, the magnets rusted and stained my lovely bright white non slip roof, then they fell out. I've still got the remains in a locker in the well deck, a reminder of money poorly spent! Get a proper brass thingama..... and either chain your pole etc to it or just move them on the other side of the boat for the night if you're in a dangerous area.

I bought some clear acrylic plastic thingamabobbies that hold boat poles/plank/ladder with a magnetised bottom three or 4 years ago. They were rubbish, the magnets rusted and stained my lovely bright white non slip roof, then they fell out. I've still got the remains in a locker in the well deck, a reminder of money poorly spent! Get a proper brass thingama..... and either chain your pole etc to it or just move them on the other side of the boat for the night if you're in a dangerous area.

Thanks for the heads up Grahame....and Dave will be well pleased....some-days I think he's secretly bought shares in Brasso :)

Thats a good idea,especially in an urban area.I could see the chain idea being a problem as i would no doubt forget to unchain it before moving and would end up doing the old ''running to look for keys putting on the kettle ,making tea and scrambling across the roof while the boat steers its self'' trick.If you got the pole and plank rack made up it could be designed to utilize a sea searcher magnet to hold it to the roof.I reckon that might work.although it might give the paint work a hard time.

I have seen so many boats where the p&p rack is placed to far forward,to far back or generally in the way. paul

Edited by pquinn

Its quite dangerous to fix pole racks with magnets. It is possible that someone perhaps a guest is standing on the gunnel and loses their balance grabs the pole rack thinking it is fixed.

Its unlikely but then people hang and cill boats so anything can happen

Its quite dangerous to fix pole racks with magnets. It is possible that someone perhaps a guest is standing on the gunnel and loses their balance grabs the pole rack thinking it is fixed.

Its unlikely but then people hang and cill boats so anything can happen

last place i would want a guest.What have you got against magnets?tongue.png