Live animals in locks

Featured Posts

Following on from previous threads......

What live animals have you found in locks?

This weekend we helped rescue 5 ducklings caught behind a boat in Branston lock, although the 6th one left at such speed when the gate was openned he left a wake!!!!!

But as we were about to exit Dallow Lane lock, the group of gongoozerlers were suddenly all looking into the water just in front of the boat.

Sue goes and has a look and there is a grey squirrel trying to swim back to the side. It finally got onto the lock wall just as we were coming out, but was stuck.

So we dangled the centre line down the side of the lock wall and the squirrel took one look at it, grabbed the rope, ran up it, stopped long enough at the top to nod thanks to Sue, jumped off and shot into the old lock cottage garden.

I've seen quite a few snakes in locks. Strange sort of thing to see. More worryingly I've seen them at our moorings as well.

Don't relish the thought of waking in the night with a slivery friend.

I've got used to Mrs Watch.

Years ago, when we first started boating we were advised to get swans out of locks before operation as they can't take off and fly away from danger. Adult ducks are okay apparently. Spent a lot of time since encouraging swans out of locks with bread.

Martyn

Rescued:

One young squirrel fell out of tree, missed the boat and fell in water between boat and canal-path, we were moored at the time.

One duckling caught on fish hook, via its beak, in reeds on offside.

Ons small bird, just fledged decide to fly into side of boat and again fell between boat and tow-path.

I've seen quite a few snakes in locks. Strange sort of thing to see. More worryingly I've seen them at our moorings as well.

Don't relish the thought of waking in the night with a slivery friend.

I've got used to Mrs Watch.

Years ago, when we first started boating we were advised to get swans out of locks before operation as they can't take off and fly away from danger. Adult ducks are okay apparently. Spent a lot of time since encouraging swans out of locks with bread.

Martyn

I saw the biggest grass snake I have ever seen enjoying a leasurely swim on that straight just before the Claydon Flight and just after the winding hole. Must have been a good 3 foot.

Edited by owenk

I saw the biggest grass snake I have ever seen enjoying a leasurely swim on that straight just before the Claydon Flight and just after the winding hole. Must have been a good 3 foot.

Yes,I've seen one or two in that section.

Off topic. Nice to see you back on the forum Owen. How's your new moorings?

Martyn

Yes,I've seen one or two in that section.

Off topic. Nice to see you back on the forum Owen. How's your new moorings?

Martyn

Equally off topic - good thanks Martyn. The oldies are ghetting to use the boat a lot more. Would be good to catch up with you for a pint soon.

I would say, the 'moor' the merrier.

In Banbury perhaps as two of you are in Banbury more than I. Nightwatch is out of the water in June, so perhaps that may be a good time.

Off Topic. Sorry.

Yes, a reunion of the Clattercote Wharf Escape Committee would be good. We shall be at the boat, D.v., this coming weekend, not sure of movements after that.

No, it has its usual meaning of "God willing" in the sense of "all being well".

Brasenose about six on Saturday is a distinct possibility.

This has been a Thread/ Hijacker production, now back to the main thread.

Edited by Athy