I've got womens problems

junior

Featured Posts

Help. I've got a new bird (the German from the infamous hairy armpits thread). We've got to the point where she's visiting the boat now and again and is starting to moan about not being able to use a hairdryer and hair straighteners and I think this will soon put her off coming. Some may say this is a good thing, but recently I've been getting envious of all the blokes who have a women to do the locks thus enabling them to stay at the tiller, so I don't want to put her off visiting.

I'm a 12v only boat and don't want to install an inverter/240v. What are my options? Are there any 12v hairdryers and straighteners on the market?

I'm guessing this must be an issue for all women who live on boats so I'm hoping there is a simple solution.

Sort the kit out if you want a smart well groomed lady, it's important to some women to look their best even when boating.

I'm a scruff bum and don't care but I'm old wear purple and behave badly so I won't be bothering you. I understand that others are more stylish however.

There are 12v hairdryers - they generally give off just about enough heat to be useful for drying armpit-hair but are totally useless for head-mounted hair.

I may have an option that would help. I am about to have a spare 1,5kW Rediline converter available. These function like an inverter but with a couple of very useful differences. They have zero standby consumption (ie they use no power when not in operation) and they are tolerant of wide variations in temperature etc so they can happily exist in the engine room or wherever your batteries happen to be, with just a couple of short connections to the battery. Just plonk it on the floor somewhere and run a 240v extension lead for the hairdryer.

Yes they are inefficient (but for a few minutes every now and then, so what?) and their voltage regulation is not as good as an inverter (a hair dryer won't mind). It's in perfect working order, and if you'd like it you are welcome to collect it free of charge

There are 12v hairdryers - they generally give off just about enough heat to be useful for drying armpit-hair but are totally useless for head-mounted hair.

I may have an option that would help. I am about to have a spare 1,5kW Rediline converter available. These function like an inverter but with a couple of very useful differences. They have zero standby consumption (ie they use no power when not in operation) and they are tolerant of wide variations in temperature etc so they can happily exist in the engine room or wherever your batteries happen to be, with just a couple of short connections to the battery. Just plonk it on the floor somewhere and run a 240v extension lead for the hairdryer.

Yes they are inefficient (but for a few minutes every now and then, so what?) and their voltage regulation is not as good as an inverter (a hair dryer won't mind). It's in perfect working order, and if you'd like it you are welcome to collect it free of charge

That is a very generous offer of which I couldn't turn down. If I can't tempt you into taking any money for it I will offer my usual payment, thanks!

Shaved armpits and head! Sorted. :)

Just to clear things up, this is for head hair.

Small 1000watt hairdryer and inverter to match.

DLW only uses the portable one now, has got rid of the 2kw one!

Cost less than £100 in total how much is this relationship worth?

"... visiting the boat now and again and is starting to moan about not being able to use a hairdryer and hair straighteners and I think this will soon put her off coming"

Sounds like serious women's problems to me :rolleyes:

My other three quarters never use a hair dryer and they are all female :unsure:

Junior - I have both gas powered hair straighteners and curling iron, bought one over here and the other I brought over from Canada. I do not have thin hair and both work wonderful on the boat. Dave thinks they are the cats meow as I'm not sucking precious power from batteries or inverter or whatever it is that makes the electrical out lets work smile.png

Just goggle gas powered hair straightener and you'll have loads of choices.

Here's a link for one at Argos (they deliver as well), this is the one I have and it's brill. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428035.htm

As for drying, I simply use extra fluffy towels and sunshine .... we do have to make some concessions to be able to enjoy this lifestyle smile.png

BTW - she'll more than likely stick around a bit longer if you stop referring to her as a "bird" wink.png

ETA - hair drying info

Edited by Bettie Boo

Huh, my wife insists on using her hairdryer but we compromise in as much as. She is only allowed to use 600 watt setting. This doesn't kill the batteries because Chris only uses it in short bursts so the whole hair drying thing with the dryer is only a few minutes.

Phil

You will hear when its running and if you run the engine while she is using it the dry will get a turbo boost. BUT they are about 50% efficient so for 5amp out at 240 volts you will be putting 200 Amps at 12 volts in, if I have done the sums right.

Ahoy Junior.I described how to construct a splendid home made simple hair dryer which will work from any heat source, coal stove, cooker, engine, hot halogen bulb ect with only a tiny 12v computer fan as sucker and blower that used electricity. The whole thing would only cost about £9-4-7d to make. Its in one of my wheezes sometime last year in Living afloat if you care to search there for it, I couldn't be bothered to. But I could bring myself to describe it again if your genuinely interested and don't waste my time and Gorillabites. Bizzard.

Ahoy Junior.I described how to construct a splendid home made simple hair dryer which will work from any heat source, coal stove, cooker, engine, hot halogen bulb ect with only a tiny 12v computer fan as sucker and blower that used electricity. The whole thing would only cost about £9-4-7d to make. Its in one of my wheezes sometime last year in Living afloat if you care to search there for it, I couldn't be bothered to. But I could bring myself to describe it again if your genuinely interested and don't waste my time and Gorillabites. Bizzard.

You could always use a traditional flat iron. Heat it on the stove and you could press/ straighten the hair and dry it at the same time. Might not work for armpits.