Should A Broker Declare That A Boat IS Overplated?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I happened to note ABNB have this 1992 Steve Hudson for sale. (No, I'm not looking to buy one!).

The details report it as

Plating: 10/6/4

Last out of water: Blacked Dec. 2013

and

Hull survey dated 2013 available to read in the ABNB office.

However I am aware of pictures at Brinklow Boats showing this boat being heavily overplated recently.

OK, if Brinklow have done the overplate, it is probably as good a job as you will get, but as the broker is selling this as a £50K boat, might it not be reasonable to tell you this before you make a trip to view it?

(And yes, I was surprised a Hudson would need this treatment at that age!)

I happened to note ABNB have this 1992 Steve Hudson for sale. (No, I'm not looking to buy one!).

The details report it as

Plating: 10/6/4

Last out of water: Blacked Dec. 2013

and

Hull survey dated 2013 available to read in the ABNB office.

However I am aware of pictures at Brinklow Boats showing this boat being heavily overplated recently.

OK, if Brinklow have done the overplate, it is probably as good a job as you will get, but as the broker is selling this as a £50K boat, might it not be reasonable to tell you this before you make a trip to view it?

(And yes, I was surprised a Hudson would need this treatment at that age!)

But has the vendor told ABNB?, do they know?

But has the vendor told ABNB?, do they know?

Presumably the survey they say is available to read in their office will say so quite clearly! (I would expect them to have read it themselves).

Wouldn't the 2013 survey tell them (ABNB), either :

1) It needed doing, or

2) It ha been done

I'd suggest that something as significant as this should be in the listing details, it could be made a selling feature

Totally overplated bottom by the most reputable company in the field XZX Ltd, at a cost of £5 zillion and comes with a 30 year guarantee.

Q: How much info should sellers or brokers include in an advert, to save someone a wasted trip?

A: Much more than they generally do! I've been searching around for a boat and the lack of info on some adverts is ridiculous - some have no details on the type of engine; or nothing specific enough to even determine the layout of the boat (vague pictures don't help if you can't relate the interior to the front/rear doors)

And, of course, overplating is something which might not be visible if its concealed under silty water - just goes to show the value of having the boat removed from the water and being looked at properly.

Presumably the survey they say is available to read in their office will say so quite clearly! (I would expect them to have read it themselves).

Then I don't think they are attempting to hide anything.

The ad. makes it clear the survey is available, which to me cries 'read it'.......

I suppose one could argue that putting it in the ad. could save a wasted journey for someone really averse to buying an overplated boat.

1992 'high quality' boat over plated?

Gods teeth! I must be getting old :roll eyes:

Surely it's as much to do with how well it's been looked after?

If it's last blacking was it,s first since new then is it surprising it has needed overplating?

Ed. a quick re read of the ad. and I can't see mention of a galvanic isolator or transformer either.

Edited by The Dog House

I would expect an advert to say about any major work completed to the hull. For all I know the asking price is still vaild but it does seem a little high to me.

As with any boat the reasons for the need of such repairs can be many and any boat no matter who it is built by can deteriate if not looked after properly or not protected from any galanic corrosion.

Odd to think though that any old working boat that has been restored would carry a list of repairs as part of the sale with pride and likely enhance the value.

Edited by churchward

Does anyone know what effect that amount of welding is likely to have had on the polystyrene insulation? It doesn't look as though it has been refitted.

Edited by peter n

As with everything second hand isn't it a matter of buyer beware? The broker doesn't owe you a duty of care - a bit like a solicitor whose duty is to his client. After all if you were buying a used car would you expect the dealer to tell you it had a replacement gearbox?

OTOH, ABNB are well respected in the trade, so perhaps there may be more to come to light - they weren't to know, or the work is minor.

Just a thought..

Think its like most things you buy second hand nowadays. Sounds great in the advert till you get there and then you find so many things wrong with the seller standing there sheepishly saying things like ' oh yes, this or that fell off this morning' or 'sorry, forgot to mention that in the advert'. Back to Buyer beware and luck I think

Does anyone know what effect that amount of welding is likely to have had on the polystyrene insulation? It doesn't look as though it has been refitted.

I could show you some photos of ours...very melty forming a channel approximately 2 inches wide in a rectangle where the sides were overplated, lovely spot for condensation to gather too (then again everywhere is a lovely spot for that with our polystyrene insulation).

It does depend on how the boat has been looked after, for instance I have always reblacked every boat I have ever owned every two years but I know others that have not been touched for six years or more and they have standard bitumen.

You might call my approach over the top but I do want to look after my boat.

Similar to buying a house. If something important to us is not mentioned in estate agents swindle sheet I ring and ask. Normally they leave out floor plans and EPCs

Same with a boat. I would not travel a distance to view one without a telephone call to review features that are important to ne

Does anyone know what effect that amount of welding is likely to have had on the polystyrene insulation?

Shouldn't the inside be stripped before such a task?

Just out of curiosity, how much area does an anode protect ?

Seems odd to have them at the bow and stern and nothing in the middle.

Shouldn't the inside be stripped before such a task? Just out of curiosity, how much area does an anode protect ?

Seems odd to have them at the bow and stern and nothing in the middle.

Some boats do have them in the middle.

The problem is the are vulnerable to accidental removal given the shape of most standard NB hulls.