Sheffield & Tinsley Canal

Starts At: Tinsley No.7/8 (Deep) Lock

Ends At: Tinsley No.7/8 (Deep) Lock

Friday 9 May 2014 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Information

Original message:

We have had to close Tinsley flight due to a sunken vessel in Lock 7/8

Canal & River Trust staff have attempted recovery of the boat, but have not been successful. We are now looking at a different way of raising the vessel using support from divers.

Divers are due to be on site on Monday and we will issue a further progress update on Monday.

Original message:

Canal & River Trust staff have attempted recovery of the boat, but have not been successful. We are now looking at a different way of raising the vessel using support from divers.

Divers are due to be on site on Monday and we will issue a further progress update on Monday.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/1069/tinsley-flight

You can find all notices at the url below:
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Any body got any further info. on this??

ed. cross posted with another thread by NC - I'll request a thread merge.

Edited by The Dog House

Notice Alert

Sheffield & Tinsley Canal

Starts At: Tinsley No.7/8 (Deep) Lock

Ends At: Tinsley No.7/8 (Deep) Lock

Friday 9 May 2014 08:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Information

Original message:

Must be a small boat or very strong divers.

Tim

cheshire~rose, on 09 May 2014 - 12:16 PM, said:

Oh dear - how sad. I hope no one was hurt

Indeed,

its hard to glean any further information as googling just brings up this thread and older similar incidents.

Cant find anything in the local newspaper and unfortunately we cant nip down to have a quick look tonight as we are working the bar at the boat club so have to rush off.

Tsk!

What about your duty to the good people of this forum?

We rely on you as our "on the spot reporter" in that area!

Tsk!

What about your duty to the good people of this forum?

We rely on you as our "on the spot reporter" in that area!

I have sent a message to someone who moors at Tinsley so will hopefully find out soon :)

it's a 35ft Springer that got his rear end caught on the lower gate footboards when raising the lock to go up to Sheffield, The boat is on the bottom of the lock at the minute, Inspection today and are looking to raise it with air bags and pumps this week.

Edited by Northernboater

it's a 35ft Springer that got his rear end caught on the lower gate footboards when raising the lock to go up to Sheffield, The boat is on the bottom of the lock at the minute, Inspection today and are looking to raise it with air bags and pumps this week.

....keep well away from the cill ......

A real shame for the owner, I must add that the extended footboards inside the pump-house lock on the K&A caught me out

DeanS, on 10 May 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Do they still have the lock keepers on that flight? It's normally booked passage and lock keepers work you all the way along?

Miserable buggers though (if you're late arriving smile.png

Yes that is my understanding too, I wonder if they were attempting it without a locky, though presumably the flight is locked out of hours....

Yes that is my understanding too, I wonder if they were attempting it without a locky, though presumably the flight is locked out of hours....

You can't get up the flight without the lock keepers, lock 7/8 is the deepest lock on the flight with only a single butterfly type paddle/sluice entering the lock via the side wall and not the lock gate for what I remember, What may of happened is that the lock keeper has gone ahead to unlock the next lock to get it set for him, as it's only about 50 yards away and left the boater to do 7/8 lock .

The boater would of already done 8 locks to get to 7/8 so he obviously could do locks, Probably just a lack of concentration and a bit panic may of set in once he saw what was happening. These locks can take 61' boats so either the boat was floating untied or had a long line on, as there would of been over 20ft to the cill and gates from the front of the boat..

Edited by Northernboater

matty40s, on 10 May 2014 - 2:18 PM, said:

which is why I mentioned it, some hire briefings instill this into their hirers, leading to problems at the back end.

Unlikely to be a hire boat in this instance, given the make and location (though possible of course).

Unlikely to be a hire boat in this instance, given the make and location (though possible of course).

Proper control must be maintained when negotiating locks and the boat must be kept forward of the top lock gate cill. The extent of the cill is marked by white lines on the lock side coping stones with the word ‘cill’ stenciled on and a warning sign is placed on the gate.

If you don’t keep forward of the cill marker your boat may start sinking at the front and rise out of the water at the stern. This can happen quickly and result in the boat sinking or capsizing in seconds

Taken directly from the guidance issued in the CRT Boaters Update yesterday - nowhere does it directly state that the above ONLY applies when going down a lock.

matty40s, on 10 May 2014 - 2:28 PM, said:

Proper control must be maintained when negotiating locks and the boat must be kept forward of the top lock gate cill. The extent of the cill is marked by white lines on the lock side coping stones with the word ‘cill’ stenciled on and a warning sign is placed on the gate.

If you don’t keep forward of the cill marker your boat may start sinking at the front and rise out of the water at the stern. This can happen quickly and result in the boat sinking or capsizing in seconds

Taken directly from the guidance issued in the CRT Boaters Update yesterday - nowhere does it directly state that the above ONLY applies when going down a lock.

Perhaps another example of where they could have ran that passed a few boaters before issuing it, it's obvious to an experienced boater what they mean (who probably don't need informing or reminding any way) - but yes the additional clarity would be to the benefit of inexperienced boater.

You can't get up the flight without the lock keepers, lock 7/8 is the deepest lock on the flight with only a single butterfly type paddle/sluice entering the lock via the side wall and not the lock gate for what I remember, What may of happened is that the lock keeper has gone ahead to unlock the next lock to get it set for him, as it's only about 50 yards away and left the boater to do 7/8 lock .

The boater would of already done 8 locks to get to 7/8 so he obviously could do locks, Probably just a lack of concentration and a bit panic may of set in once he saw what was happening. These locks can take 61' boats so either the boat was floating untied or had a long line on, as there would of been over 20ft to the cill and gates from the front of the boat..

What is the maximum boat length that can pass through these locks?

Sheffield keel size locks, 61'6" length boats, there lock keeper manned so you can't go corner to corner, they are quite strict on the length, fenders up and rudder must be able to turn inside the length of the boat, If anything should go wrong and your over the designated length I should image insurance void and jobs on the line as it would come down to the lock keepers for letting in a boat longer then the recommended length.

Sheffield keel size locks, 61'6" length boats, there lock keeper manned so you can't go corner to corner, they are quite strict on the length, fenders up and rudder must be able to turn inside the length of the boat, If anything should go wrong and your over the designated length I should image insurance void and jobs on the line as it would come down to the lock keepers for letting in a boat longer then the recommended length.

That's a shame. I was intending going to Sheffield some time but my boat is 62FT. Never had a problem on the Leeds Liverpool.

Thanks for the info.

P5108087.JPG

At the end of the rope in the picture is the sunken boat boat. A bit of a disappointment as a site-visit yesterday morning :-) CRT chap who was wandering by agreed with northernboater here that the boat is 35' with an outboard and some projecting cover above it, which by missing the eternal vigilance necessary for any lock operation, the crew managed to get under the walkway projectiing into lock on the bottom gate and sunk themselves. Two people and two dogs escaped unhurt. By emptying the lock completely it's possible to see the roof of the boat. The divers, he said, are due on Tuesday (stoppage notice says Monday) and they intend to attach flotation bags, then pump out.

We've been up there twice in a hire boat back in the 90s and on the second of those, we were left to our own devices whilst the lockie went down to the bottom lock to see to a boat coming up.