Widebeam question

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi Blackrose / Julynian / Paul / Dean and anyone else out there with a WB who would know the answer to this.

I've been told, by someone with no more experience than me, (Dave) that I can't have the side hatch open when we are cruising. When asked why, he explained that, since the doors don't have hooks & latches to hold them open they could swing when going through bridges & tunnels and we could end up ripping them off.

Further along in the conversation I was told that I wouldn't be able to leave them open even when he did install the hooks & latches as our hatch is on the starboard side and if we have to move close to vegetation due to passing oncoming boats in narrow stretches (or I'm at the helm) it could cause some damage.

Do you guys cruise with your hatches open or closed? I only ask, because I've seen loads of skinny boats in the last couple of days cruising with their hatches wide open. We've yet to meet another WB so I have no idea what is normal.

Ta

B~

Hi Blackrose / Julynian / Paul / Dean and anyone else out there with a WB who would know the answer to this.

I've been told, by someone with no more experience than me, (Dave) that I can't have the side hatch open when we are cruising. When asked why, he explained that, since the doors don't have hooks & latches to hold them open they could swing when going through bridges & tunnels and we could end up ripping them off.

Further along in the conversation I was told that I wouldn't be able to leave them open even when he did install the hooks & latches as our hatch is on the starboard side and if we have to move close to vegetation due to passing oncoming boats in narrow stretches (or I'm at the helm) it could cause some damage.

Do you guys cruise with your hatches open or closed? I only ask, because I've seen loads of skinny boats in the last couple of days cruising with their hatches wide open. We've yet to meet another WB so I have no idea what is normal.

Ta

B~

Sorry BB struggling to understand any difference between a narrow beam and a widebeam in this respect..

Hi ya BB.

Well I haven't got the side access Doors / Hatch you speak of, but do know what you mean, & Sorry, I have to say I sort of agree with your Dave, an open or swinging door might add 18inch to your Beam. But if you fit a suitable Catch, it might overcome the problem altogether.

BTW, youre hair looks great, and you really don't look a day over 28.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Unless you have no tumblehome to your cabin sides, your side doors are not going to swing anywhere.

We have a narrowboat rather than a widebeam, but I can't see that it makes much difference. We close the side doors when going through a tunnel (why would you want them open in a tunnel), partly because you never know what the profile is, and partly because there's likely to the waterfalls. Likewise we close them for locks, partly because gates etc have bits sticking out sometimes, and partly because when you're going down there are sometimes water jets out of the walls -- and if they're opposite open side doors or open windows you're in trouble.

You should realise that wide beams are not designed to move anywhere...in fact it's a well known fact that they just stay moored up on the narrowest part of canal that can be found.........

Cheers

Gareth

Had three wide beams pass me today. Doing a flight as well. Had two narrowboats pass me too, they hit everyone that was moored :-(

You should realise that wide beams are not designed to move anywhere...in fact it's a well known fact that they just stay moored up on the narrowest part of canal that can be found.........

Cheers

Gareth

..... What is your rather infantile issue with wide beams?....is it not about time you grew up?

Sorry BB struggling to understand any difference between a narrow beam and a widebeam in this respect..

I know this is gonna sound sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be DH.

In answer to your question about 4.5 ft.

We have found on a few occasions we have had to go into the overhanging bushes on the starboard side if passing other oncoming boats if there are boats moored on the port side. Also, although we haven't done any locks yet, I'm envisioning some of them, although being labeled as "wide locks" really won't be much more than a foot or so clearance on each side and if the doors, were to swing open it in such scenario's it may cause damage....... just asking what other WB owners consider as best practice.

Isn't it better to ask questions like this on the forum and learn from others experience, rather than not and then doing damage to either our boat or other structures and learning the hard way?

Betty, one trip down the bottom lock at Buckby will be enough to convince you to keep side hatches shut, unless you like mopping....

Right - say not more - I HATE mopping - hatches will be shut in locks :)

Unless you have no tumblehome to your cabin sides, your side doors are not going to swing anywhere.

We have a narrowboat rather than a widebeam, but I can't see that it makes much difference. We close the side doors when going through a tunnel (why would you want them open in a tunnel), partly because you never know what the profile is, and partly because there's likely to the waterfalls. Likewise we close them for locks, partly because gates etc have bits sticking out sometimes, and partly because when you're going down there are sometimes water jets out of the walls -- and if they're opposite open side doors or open windows you're in trouble.

Good point about the tunnels - we haven't done one yet, so didn't realize they were that wet, and as mentioned earlier I HATE mopping :)

I know this is gonna sound sarcastic, but I don't mean it to be DH.

In answer to your question about 4.5 ft.

We have found on a few occasions we have had to go into the overhanging bushes on the starboard side if passing other oncoming boats if there are boats moored on the port side. Also, although we haven't done any locks yet, I'm envisioning some of them, although being labeled as "wide locks" really won't be much more than a foot or so clearance on each side and if the doors, were to swing open it in such scenario's it may cause damage....... just asking what other WB owners consider as best practice.

Isn't it better to ask questions like this on the forum and learn from others experience, rather than not and then doing damage to either our boat or other structures and learning the hard way?

You have missed my point.

If you condense the size of canal down to the respective width of your boat we face the same problems.

We have had leaky lock walls pee water in through our side hatches on more than one occasion by way of example.

Not being sarcastic either BTW.

I understand where BB is coming from (I think)

2 x 12 foot wide 'fat-boats - meet where the canal is 25 feet wide, they will both be forced into the edge - one against the towpath and one into the overhanging shubbery

2 x 7 foot wide 'thin boats' - meet where the canal is 25 feet wide, neither will both be forced into the edge - or into the overhanging shubbery.

On a 'fatty' Having the side hatch door open could well result in long branches sneaking into the boat, knocking things off shelves or even getting caught up in the hatch hinges and ripping them off.

Go with what Dave says - he's the man !!!

2 x 12 foot wide 'fat-boats - meet where the canal is 25 feet wide, they will both be forced into the edge - one against the towpath and one into the overhanging shubbery

2 x 7 foot wide 'thin boats' - meet where the canal is 25 feet wide, neither will both be forced into the edge - or into the overhanging shubbery.

On a 'fatty' Having the side hatch door open could well result in long branches sneaking into the boat, knocking things off shelves or even getting caught up in the hatch hinges and ripping them off.

2 x 7 foot wide 'thin boats' - meet where the canal is 15 feet wide........

It's the same.

..... What is your rather infantile issue with wide beams?....is it not about time you grew up?

My problem is most of the "narrowboat" ones are pig ugly which I admit is a personal opinion and that they are being used on waterways that are unsuited to wide beam traffic.....just because a boat fits a lock does not mean that it can travel along that waterway. Pairs of narrowboats were used on a long line or cross straps for a reason.

Having watched two widebeams trying to pass each other on the southern GU which is wide by most canal standards I'm personally glad that most of them stay moored up.

Cheers

Gareth

2 x 7 foot wide 'thin boats' - meet where the canal is 15 feet wide........

It's the same.

1 x 12 and 1 x 7 meet in a canal thats 20 foot wide - how many more permutations do you want ?

Conclusion :- If the canal width is likely to be restrictive for two boats meeting - shut the hatch !

1 x 12 and 1 x 7 meet in a canal thats 20 foot wide - how many more permutations do you want ?

Conclusion :- If the canal width is likely to be restrictive for two boats meeting - shut the hatch !

Shut the hatch, why?

Cannot see side doors being a problem if left open provided the sides have a good slope. In that instance there is no way they would swing open unless given a helping hand. Different matter if the sides are not well sloped.

Hi Bettie,

When its hot doors open doors have never swung out yet we are on big water up here but have spent time in bushes wind etc. We are 12 foot wide and do meet lots of wide boats cruising and its not normally a problem so give it a whirl if you encounter problems close the doors

Peter

My problem is most of the "narrowboat" ones are pig ugly which I admit is a personal opinion and that they are being used on waterways that are unsuited to wide beam traffic.....just because a boat fits a lock does not mean that it can travel along that waterway. Pairs of narrowboats were used on a long line or cross straps for a reason.

Having watched two widebeams trying to pass each other on the southern GU which is wide by most canal standards I'm personally glad that most of them stay moored up.

Cheers

Gareth

Its a wide canal because it was designed for wide boats so that in our case 100 tons can move in one boat and not 4 in NB terms, nowdays if people can afford a big boat and live aboard and want the space what is the problem. More to the point Bettie wanted help not an opinion hopefully she will glean what she wants and discard the crap

Peter

Cheers

Gareth

Given there are a multitude of UK inland waterways that can comfortably accommodate wide beams your opinion that they are being used on waterways unsuited to them is rubbish....

Have you ever ventured onto anything wider than a narrow muddy ditch on Doris?

Much more clearly put than mine, but yes pretty much the point - Thanks Alan :)

What Dave was saying did make sense, I just want to check what others did is all....and yes he is a "man", hence me checking hehehe

Given there are a multitude of UK inland waterways that can comfortably accommodate wide beams your opinion that they are being used on waterways unsuited to them is rubbish....

Have you ever ventured onto anything wider than a narrow muddy ditch on Doris?

Whilst that is true that some waterways were designed for wide beam boats my point as I'm sure you are well aware is that nowadays it seems to be the case that if a boat fits through a lock then it can be safely navigated along that waterway which I'm afraid isn't always the case either due to the original design of the waterway or due to maintenance issues.

Oh and for your information I'm well aware of wider waterways including navigating the Trent, Soar, Avon, Severn, Manchester Ship Canal, Weaver and more I can't remember at the moment....some of us do travel about on our boats and not just sit at a keyboard!

Cheers

Gareth