Ailsa Craig

17Tomodachi

Featured Posts

I have looked at a boat for sale at Aqueduct Marina which has a 1938 Ailsa Craig RFSF2 engine installed.

I wonder whether any member has experience of them, especially in a narrowboat. What the engines are like, the reliability and spares availability.

I can find little information on Ailsa Craig engines on the internet. Even a search on CanalWorld only brings up a couple of aged topics and links included in those discussions are now inactive.

Any information gratefully received.

Some basic info on the Marine Engine Datebase here:

http://users.skynet.be/sky34301/engdata.html

Your exact engine is not listed but the variations look like transmission options. Bear in mind it is not going to be an easy engine to keep maintained. You're going to get to know a lot more about it than the average boater expects to need to know about their lump.

Is it in a proper engine room?

MtB

• Greenie 1

I did quite a bit of research on Ailsa Craigs back in 2007 when a pair of RF4's passed through my hands

I had manuals for the engines, fuel system etc and even corresponded with Robert Kisch, the son of the founder of Ailsa Craig engines.

Robert was incredibly informative with regard to the engines and could even relate nut sizes etc from memory!

I'll have a look through my paperwork to see what I still have, but I may have passed a lot of it on to the purchasers of the engines

I have looked at a boat for sale at Aqueduct Marina which has a 1938 Ailsa Craig RFSF2 engine installed.

I wonder whether any member has experience of them, especially in a narrowboat. What the engines are like, the reliability and spares availability.

I can find little information on Ailsa Craig engines on the internet. Even a search on CanalWorld only brings up a couple of aged topics and links included in those discussions are now inactive.

Any information gratefully received.

Hi,

We have two Hunslet locos fitted with RFS2 engines. Also 3 derelict RFR4 marine versions. The two cylinder RFS2 is very easy to work on , compact for the power output (20HP at 1200rpm) and very reliable. These engines have not been made since 1960 so spares are a problem, I did get some engine parts from Hunslet at Leeds years ago but I doubt any available now.If the engine is in good condition and well maintained you may not need spares anyway- cross that bridge when you come to it!

Graham at Stockton Dry Dock did buy up a batch of spares a few years ago. I put the owner of this boat on to him in case he could help with water pump parts, but they were different from anything that he had.

Tim

Kevin Whittle's book, Vintage Engines for Narrow Boats has a section on Ailsa Craig Engines

The RF engine was originally specifically designed and built as a marine engine (as were all Ailsa Craigs). Post war, the engines were fitted for industrial use (generators etc)

When I conversed with Robert Kisch, he said that many late war year engines suffered from crankshaft failures, which led to the engine getting a bad reputation. This was unfortunate as it was entirely down to the poor quality of materails available to manufacturers in the late war years. Pre and post war engines never suffered.

Generally they were regarded as very reliable engines

Many of the part on RF engines were interchangable. Certainly the 4 cylinder versions were effectively two Twins bolted together.

The gearbox on Big Al's engine is an original fitting and is non reduction 1:1

In short, a good sturdy engine

• 1 month later...

I still have Erebus.

I'll be continuing her refurb again soon after time off building a new house.

The RF1 is out of the boat for a rebuild.

She was never named "Ice Dragon"

• 7 years later...