Another Solar Panel Post

imranino

Featured Posts

Hello!

Yes I know there have been endless posts and topics about this, and I've gone through a lot of them. I thought I was convinced I was going to build a pair of 125W panels into a top box near the bow, but then I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111315145099?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Somebody talk me out of them please!

Thanks!!!

Somebody correct me here...but 319 Volts...?

Surely can't be right..and if it was..where would you get a controller for them..?

I guess 100 watt...319 volts mean they only out out 'roughly' 1/3 amp ??

I wouldn't like to stand on a wet boat with 319 volts DC flying about..even at 1/3 amp..

I'm lost on this one..?

I saw these a while back and decided that I would go for something I was more familiar with.

Phil

I'm with Phil there...

These seem a bit 'non standard' for boating...?

Huge voltage output for low amp output...and then you need controller to match...

I was also concerned about that much voltage..

Would I be right in thinking that 319 volts DC...could give you a hell of a wack on a wet boat..?..

Or..am I deluded as usual ..?

I saw these a while back and decided that I would go for something I was more familiar with.

Phil

Yes, safe bet i reckon Sir Phil.

And as Bobbybass says loads of volts, I think it said 400 odd volts in open circuit ! OUCH.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Yes, safe bet i reckon Sir Phil.

And as Bobbybass says loads of volts, I think it said 400 odd volts in open circuit ! OUCH.

Look at the bottom of the ad it says "People who bought this also bought; rubber wellies, rubber gloves and a heart defibrillator" laugh.png

It doesn't really I made that up, but it might be an idea

K

Wow, no shortage of knowledge and opinions here! Thanks a lot, yes it did seem a bit funny plus I hadn't calculated the amps. So I think it's something more like this for us:

http://www.bimblesolar.com/offgrid/12v/12v-125w-10amppt?sort=p.price&order=ASC

But probably with 2x 125W panels rather than just the 1.

How you going to get the 319v to 12v with usable amps the person that can work that out will make a killing as otherwise these panels are useless

The seller also sells these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-35A-step-down-controller-converter-high-voltage-319V-to-12V-/121311671804?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1c3ebd35fc

And these kits:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-100W-300W-Solar-Battery-Charging-Kit-12V-camper-Flexible-roll-up-solar-kit-/121315230683?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1c3ef383db

I 'think' that 400 volts open circuit DC...'could' be fatal on a wet boat...even at low amps...

It would certainly give you a 'surprise'....

Personally..I wouldn't entertain the idea because if there is a chance I could come into contact..

you can bet you sweet bippy that I will !!

Shame about the voltage issues on those flexi panels.

I'm looking for some type of panel like that we can roll up and put away in the summer and bring out in the winter. I reckon with some decent amorphous flexi panels at another 300w added to our current 740w array would just about have us gaining well over 90% of all our leccy needs from solar alone.

As soon as some flexi panel gets below £1.00 per watt I'll be buying, hopefully before November this year.

They could be quite shocking. 300 volts crossing a person of 10,000 ohms resistance delivers 30ma. 30ma is the generally accepted threshold of heart fibrillation.

For the good order, it is generally accepted that the human body, with intact dry skin has a resistance between 10,000 and 1,000,000 ohms, but everybody is different.

Don't touch them.

They could be quite shocking. 300 volts crossing a person of 10,000 ohms resistance delivers 30ma. 30ma is the generally accepted threshold of heart fibrillation.

For the good order, it is generally accepted that the human body, with intact dry skin has a resistance between 10,000 and 1,000,000 ohms, but everybody is different.

Don't touch them.

Oh boy...

How do I know how much resistance I have...?

According to my last wife.....very little....

Gosh, how many have you had??

That was my last murdered wife...

My present one...won't eat the poisoned mushrooms...

I saw this method of mounting solar panels on a top box, they look like double glassing hinges

BYoohOE.jpg

I like that...

You can angle both ways with only one hinge..the hinge looks substantial..and there is a little 'hidey hole' under them for small items....