Canals and alcohol

Felshampo

Featured Posts

Blimey! This one is set to run and run... seems that we are all addicted to drugs of some kind... (including Eastenders & Emmerdale)...

"Pubs are the community centre of English culture .They sell Alcoholic and non-Alcoholic drinks most now do food so don't knock them for one day they may all be gone." - methinks this sums it up rather well. Here in the countryside in Finland I find it such a shame that there are tiny villages / villages with no pubs. What do these folk do? Go home after work and watch TV, it seems. And become brainwashed with staged shows such as 'Survivor' (McDonalds is behind those trees!)(surely a true survivor is a narrowboater who can make it to the next pub before sunset?!).

A facet of quintessential England (?) = popping along to the pub at 7pm (or fashionably late at 8pm) to see who's in there. Proper beer (not that Foster's Australian pigswill). CAMRA doesn't HAVE to mean roll-neck woolly pullovers and beards and hippy-sandals. Quiet atmosphere required - noisy game machines are for amusement arcades, surely? Crackling logs or glowing coals in the fireplace, next to which is seated an old man puffing away at his pipe; smoking used to be part of the pub atmosphere - look at the scenes in Lord of the Rings / The Hobbit films (pipes are nice, cigarettes a bit harsh).

Buying drinks is really just an excuse for the chance to have a chat in a cosy environment. Low lighting. A pub 500 years old - you're surrounded by history (it was James Brindley, surely, who carved that "JB is wicked awesome" into that heavy oak table?). Church next door, another influx when the bellringers have finished their practice session. And it's nice that in English pubs people bring their children and pets.

A perfect pub I have in mind is 'The Golden Rule' in Ambleside, Lake District. No canal goes past, though.

Incidentally I would like to know how I seem to be being attacked for being anti drugs, when all I have done is pointed out that anyone who states quote "cannabis is harmless" is being silly......in comparison possibly. I pointed out that there is evidence pointing to a link with mental illness so there are risks as there are with almost anything on this Earth.

All drugs and medicines carry some risk of side effects, you balance those risks against possible benefits but you don't pretend they don't exist. Even aspirin can cause ulcers.

In no post have I mentioned anything about legality or otherwise, if someone wishes to take drugs, fine. but don't pretend that it is harmless

You are absolutely right. It is wise to admit when you just don't know, and right to leave others to draw their own conclusions.

I think the riskiest thing is to say "I can control it, I'll stop when I'm ready"...

I have a friend who drinks a lot of brake fluid - that's what he says.

Maybe technology will one day come up with harmless substances, otherwise a I can't see a solution other than criminalising it all.

Are you serious? :lol:

I grew up with alcoholic parents, smoking, drinking and fighting was the norm to me. My dad never had a day off work, retired at 60 and died of bowel cancer 2 years later, I feel due to the fact that he had more time to drink and smoke as he was at home all day.

My mother had breast cancer at 53 years old. She has just had her 80th birthday this year. She still smokes roll ups, has a Guinness every day.

My younger brother followed my parents way of life and drunk himself to death age just 44 years old, 7 years ago.

My older brother never smoked a cigarette in his life but does like a drink, but is not an alcoholic.

I smoked on and off but never drank to excess.

My son never drank to excess, but did smoke cigarettes and dope. I tried not to keep nagging him about it. He stopped smoking dope when his daughter was born 10 years ago. I was so proud of him as I knew that he enjoyed it. He said it helped him relax.

He still smoked roll ups though.

I lost my son to lung cancer last September age 34 years . It has been the worst year of my life and everyone on this forum is someone's child,

If I could turn back the clock, I would thrash him and stop him from smoking.

It is a debate that will go on for many a year, we have to take responsibility for our own actions but who knows what is right or wrong, life threatening or not?

All I know is that I cry most days and nights for my only child and wish things were different.

• Greenie 1

And making addicts criminals will help? I fail to see the logic.

No, just making the selling of alcohol and tobacco illegal, no idea if it would work, drive it underground I suppose like drugs. I don't pretend to know the answer but addiction is a big problem.

Can I suggest to the Op, without entering into the debate about drinking and boating, that he gets himself a boat with a sail, cos the carcinogenic diesel fumes he's going to be supping will have an effect, maybe!

No, just making the selling of alcohol and tobacco illegal, no idea if it would work, drive it underground I suppose like drugs. I don't pretend to know the answer but addiction is a big problem.

Prohibition, for both drugs and alcohol, has been tried and failed. What part of history repeating itself do you not understand?

Thanks for your concern, my son doesn't smoke dope or tobacco, it's some of his friends that have the problem and it upsets him to see them wasting their lives. Not that he's a saint of course - been there done that as most of today's young 'uns seem to have.

We used to a have a catch-all description "out-of-it-olics" to describe people with a propensity for, well, getting wrecked. I suspect you are one of these and have found cannabis the least damaging mind-state altering drug, hence why you defend it so keenly. Others would say you have a addictive personality, but I think that's a poor description. The only thing you're addicted to is changing your mind-state and who knows why that is. All IMHO of course.

You're not real good at accepting olive branches, are you? You come on here with really stupid remarks demonstrating that you know absolutely nothing about the subject and take a bit of a drumming because of your inane statements so I offer a few words of support because I think your heart is in the right place and you insult me for my efforts. I should have just let you wallow in your stupidity, it suits you well!

FYI the reason I'm passionate about this subject is because people are being killed and incarcerated by the thousands because of the War on Drugs. The war on drugs causes more societal and familial damage than the drugs they interdict do.

• Greenie 1

t

FYI the reason I'm passionate about this subject is because people are being killed and incarcerated by the thousands because of the War on Drugs. The war on drugs causes more societal and familial damage than the drugs they interdict do.

If you stopped being Mr Angry and stopped ranting at everyone who disagrees with any of your points you might gain some support, for some of your ideas. As it is you put peoples backs up by your aggressive manner

• Greenie 2

If you stopped being Mr Angry and stopped ranting at everyone who disagrees with any of your points you might gain some support, for some of your ideas. As it is you put peoples backs up by your aggressive manner

Some, but others agree, to some extent. There's a case for legalising ALL recreational drugs, to take them out of the reach of organised crime and allow them to be taxed so that they will, at least, help to support the NHS, social benefits, and so on.

I only use alcohol and tobacco (but did smoke cannibal's raisins a couple of times in my youth), but can see a credible argument for legalising heroin, cocaine, etc.: prohibition of alcohol in the US did more to promote organised crime than it did to keep people sober. That's why, I understand, that law was repealed...

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Some, but others agree, to some extent. There's a case for legalising ALL recreational drugs, to take them out of the reach of organised crime and allow them to be taxed so that they will, at least, help to support the NHS, social benefits, and so on.

I only use alcohol and tobacco (but did smoke cannibal's raisins a couple of times in my youth), but can see a credible argument for legalising heroin, cocaine, etc.: prohibition of alcohol in the US did more to promote organised crime than it did to keep people sober. That's why, I understand, that law was repealed...

Roger

That is what I am trying to point out....it is possible to agree with him on some things and disagree on others but if you disagree with anything that he says then he screams reactionary and jumps down your throat

That is what I am trying to point out....it is possible to agree with him on some things and disagree on others but if you disagree with anything that he says then he screams reactionary and jumps down your throat

Please, let's all agree that this is a complex issue, with persuasive arguments on both sides. I think we two would find it easy to agree, but his point of view has it's supporters. I think we should agree to differ, despite the evidence (which is also complex). You and I will never convince him, so is it worth trying and, inevitably, failing? It is possible to convince people with open minds, but not everyone. (I'm not accusing him of having a closed mind, just that everyone is entitled to their personal opinion. I'm an atheist, but accept that I won't, "win friends and influence (at least some) people": by forcing my opinion down their throats.)

But that's off topic...

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Prohibition, for both drugs and alcohol, has been tried and failed. What part of history repeating itself do you not understand?

You're not real good at accepting olive branches, are you? You come on here with really stupid remarks demonstrating that you know absolutely nothing about the subject and take a bit of a drumming because of your inane statements so I offer a few words of support because I think your heart is in the right place and you insult me for my efforts. I should have just let you wallow in your stupidity, it suits you well!

Touched a nerve there then, sorry but I was quite serious and sorry for you that you can't face up to that.

You said you were an alcoholic, you said you smoke dope instead. If I'm wrong, stop it and straighten up. I bet you can't because you're addicted to changing your mind state like I suggested.

I don't need any olive branches offering because I don't give a flying F what you think of me. For the record, far from knowing nothing I've been "addicted" to every drug under the sun from Heroin downwards so take your stupid californian holier than thou "I smoke dope to save the Mexicans" attitude and shove it where the sun doesn't shine. A more pathetic moral high ground grabbing arguement for your right to get stoned I have never heard.

It's not alcohol's fault that I'm an alcoholic any more than it is marijuana's fault that your son and his friends have problems handling it. If you can't handle it, don't do it. That's what you need to try to teach your son.

Was this your olive branch? I read it as condescending parenting advice. Coming from someone who admits they can't handle drugs themselves that's just plain insulting.

Can I suggest to the Op, without entering into the debate about drinking and boating, that he gets himself a boat with a sail, cos the carcinogenic diesel fumes he's going to be supping will have an effect, maybe!

Well - my betting is on Chris Pink as the OP, and that he is now hugely enjoying the results.

I reckon its ok to have a good drink whilst your working fizzickly hard as alcohol will then burn off out of the system almost as quickly as it goes in.

It wasn't so long ago that beer at any rate was drunk whilst doing certain physical work. Steam engine engineers years ago wouldn't even start work on a boiler or faulty steam engine in a weaving mill for example until the mill owner installed a big barrel of beer in the engine house for them to sup whilst working.

Even on the railways bottled beer was freely drunk by track platelayers whilst working on the track. If anyone's watched that old BTF film. Nightmail, track workers stood back off the line to swig bottles of beer whilst the Night mail train sped past.

Same as becoming fat and obese really, through over eating without much or any hard physical activity to use it up and burn it off.

Well - my betting is on Chris Pink as the OP, and that he is now hugely enjoying the results.

I personally think Chris has a life between UK and France and has a life that means he has far better things to do than post on here Edited by cotswoldsman

Well he's a big bloke according to this, posted on another forum last December...

felshampo said

I am starting to consider buying a boat when I retire in a few years time. I have done a lot of kayaking and wild camping. I hired a boat a few years ago on the kennet and avon for a week in october and loved it. I have been looking through this site and learning lots of pros and cons about narrowboats which is very useful.

I have one question though which is crucial but doesn't seem to be covered. I am 6' 4". I can't remember this being a problem with the hire boat but then if I buy a boat that would be different.

So what is the standard headroom in a narrowboat? Beds seem to be only 6' 6" or less, I need at least 7' to be comfortable. Also a showwer that doeosn't come above my shoulders, as found in many camp sites, would be no good.

Are boats only made for the vertically challenged or could me and even my brother ( he is 6' 7" ) live onboard a narrowboat?

Sorry if this appears to be a daft question but I need to know!
sf-confused.gif

Cheers

Jon