We're off to Belgium

Biggles

Featured Posts

Hi All

We are finally doing what Avalon was originally discussed and built for. On Tuesday we will be lowered in to Belgium waters at Nuiewpoort to begin our European tour.

I have set up a blog http://wbavalon.blogspot.co.uk/ please join as a follower to get drivvle updates. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Kevin

Oh how Fantastic,

I'm really excited for you,I for one will be following with interest,

Have you started your blog already, Where are you starting from,,I wish ide have known earlier,I could have met you at the port of Departure /Arrival on my Boat !.(I done some messing about in Europe in years gone by)

Good Luck.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Hi All

We are finally doing what Avalon was originally discussed and built for. On Tuesday we will be lowered in to Belgium waters at Nuiewpoort to begin our European tour.

I have set up a blog http://wbavalon.blogspot.co.uk/ please join as a follower to get drivvle updates. Comments and suggestions always welcome.

Kevin

Hi biggles

All sounds good, we'll certainly be following your blog. This is something we might do in a couple of years. If you don't mind me asking. What as a ball park figure figure for the craning & transport cost? The last time I priced this up was a good few years ago.

I hope your fuel tanks are empty / full of "fully taxed" diesel / got proper receipts for what you've got.

It's the Belgians (so 'tis said) who've kicked up all the fuss about Marked Gas Oil in the first place (though what difference that makes to distortion in fuel markets, I don't know)

OTOH let "us" know if it's all a fuss about nothing.

I hope your fuel tanks are empty / full of "fully taxed" diesel / got proper receipts for what you've got.

It's the Belgians (so 'tis said) who've kicked up all the fuss about Marked Gas Oil in the first place (though what difference that makes to distortion in fuel markets, I don't know)

OTOH let "us" know if it's all a fuss about nothing.

It does seem to be a fuss about nothing. Our narrowboat's never been checked in all the years we've been here. Praps shouldn't have written that.......

It does seem to be a fuss about nothing. Our narrowboat's never been checked in all the years we've been here. Praps shouldn't have written that.......

Hi ya,

What part of Mainland Europe are you in ?. I do love it over there.

So do we! Currently in the far north of the Netherlands (Electra, next to the De Waterwolf pumping station, biggest in Europe apparently) having returned from Germany last summer - where we did have problems with the authorities, see blog if interested. We adore Belgium; friendly, generous people and often quiet waterways, see book A Cigar in Belgium if interested. We are beginning to appreciate the Netherlands just as much, especially this area around Groningen. Friesland is next when we finally get away this spring, then heading very slowly south for next winter in Belgium again.

Are you buying Red diesel? I understood that 'over there' you could only buy White, unless you are a commercial operation.

I thought my source was unimpeachable...

Oh wow, Brilliant,,I'm getting really Envious now,

I hope after doing the Danube, Black Sea, then back to the Coast to Head North (ish) for some of North Norway's Delights Somtime in 2015/6 Have my boat up for sale now on here, When sold,I can get my next one built !

I will have a look at your blog though. So many people have boats,but don't travel (due to there commitmants Circumstances and whatever).

I'm off to read your blog ! Be safe.

Are you buying Red diesel? I understood that 'over there' you could only buy White, unless you are a commercial operation.

We buy 'red' for our front tank for heating and cooking when we can. It's still obtainable in Belgium but not Netherlands, not even for farmers! It's been phased out by the government in favour of 'earth gas'. We buy 'white' road diesel for the back (for propulsion) tank and have done since we brought Snail over in 2008. That's the one that would be checked if the authorities wanted to and is whiter than white. Commercials can still use 'red' although not sure if it's obtainable for them in the N'lands. Having two diesel tanks is definitely a bonus in Mainland Europe.

Oh wow, Brilliant,,I'm getting really Envious now,

I hope after doing the Danube, Black Sea, then back to the Coast to Head North (ish) for some of North Norway's Delights Somtime in 2015/6 Have my boat up for sale now on here, When sold,I can get my next one built !

I will have a look at your blog though. So many people have boats,but don't travel (due to there commitmants Circumstances and whatever).

I'm off to read your blog ! Be safe.

Now we're envious! Keep to less than 15m long though or you too will be attracting the very unwelcome attentions of the Wasserpolizei on the Danube, unless you employ a pilot of course.

Hi Kevin i am sure you will have a great trip as no doubt everyrhing has been planned with meticlous care. I certain of this after following your blog on Avalon from begining to end. I am curious as to why you are trucking across instead of sailing. Somewhere in the back of my mind i recall reading that you were making preperations to go under your own power. Was there a problem with insurance or official issues of some kind ? or is there an issue with Avalon's seaworthyness ? The reason i ask is that crossing to Dunkirk for a few months cruising in France every few years features in my plans for our future live aboard widebeam life. if it's a design issue your advice would be appreciated. The French part my boatings plan is on my bucket list now in fact my French is coming along nicely.Good luck and safe passage to you, Debbie, the crew and the Airdales. i am looking forward to reading your blog.

Hi Harve90

What Widebeam have you got ?. Sound an exiting time is coming your way, make sure you keep us all up to speed.

I've known several people that have made all sorts of crossings to both Ireland, and France in all sorts of craft that might make the insurance bods 'Nervous'. But nevertheless are very capable, underestimated craft. And in my opinion, I think it's also about the Capability of the Helmsman or Skipper, as much as the Capability of the craft.

I have made a couple of Channel

crossings,Loads of Sea Passages and Countless Estuary Runs, but my Livaboard Widebeam is Arguably designed for it as a Cat 'C' vessel.

I personally would have no problem being Crew or Helmsman on a suitably prepared NB or WB boat. On a Channel Crossing or such like, if you pick your weather window,and go with sensible company and or convoy.

So what plans have you made. Cast of Dates ect !

Are you going to be live streaming your crisis? ?

If I can get a good enough connections and the data at reasonable price.

Whoa you lucky sod, have a great time. Oh does that mean there's room for one more at Ely?

All the best

Phil

No I'm keeping that on. I have told Garth to use it as he wants while I'm away.

Hi Kevin i am sure you will have a great trip as no doubt everyrhing has been planned with meticlous care. I certain of this after following your blog on Avalon from begining to end. I am curious as to why you are trucking across instead of sailing. Somewhere in the back of my mind i recall reading that you were making preperations to go under your own power. Was there a problem with insurance or official issues of some kind ? or is there an issue with Avalon's seaworthyness ? The reason i ask is that crossing to Dunkirk for a few months cruising in France every few years features in my plans for our future live aboard widebeam life. if it's a design issue your advice would be appreciated. The French part my boatings plan is on my bucket list now in fact my French is coming along nicely.Good luck and safe passage to you, Debbie, the crew and the Airdales. i am looking forward to reading your blog.

I may have had the notion in passing to do it under our own power. But from Ely there is only one way out and that is Kings Lynn. Thats a big sea crossing for a CAT D boat. The other way is the GU then the Thames but this would mean a lift each end and a truck, so why not just leave it on the truck?

Thanks for your good wishes.